2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#644722 - 19/12/05 04:10 PM who makes what??
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK... I am trying to get a list together of what mods I will do when I get my X... Hope that it will be by spring time, but am having troubles finding what I want... oh well... I have my heart set on an '02 5 speed..

I have been reading to see what mods are worth doing at what arent... here is a list of what I will be doing right away..

Body Lift... which one to use? have used PA in the past and notice they make a 3" one, but have heard from lots of people to only do 2"... why is that??? and if I am to go with a 2" who makes them?

Shackles... which ones?

Cams... who makes them... aprox how much are they?

Exhaust... I will be doing custom exhaust

front bumper... OK I really love the bumpers too... who makes them and how much?? after reading the work involved in moving up the stock bumper, it will be an easy one to justify to my wife on our daily driver... wink

what else is worth it? TB?? are there headers out there?? I will probably do a CAI aswell...

I would love to hear from you guys... I am building this truck as a daily driver for my wife and I.. her 85MR2 is too small for us, and my bronco is on 36" bias swampers, locked front and rear, and is a real fuel piggy... and not the best choice for road trips wink

#644723 - 19/12/05 04:30 PM Re: who makes what??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is a good list by far it is not complete but it is a good start.

After Market List

#644724 - 19/12/05 05:41 PM Re: who makes what??
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Here's a few -

The BL's are ALL made by PA, and just sold under different names.

The 3" BL is a PITA, and involves alot more work....extensions, adapters, etc....plus, the sliders, bumpers, etc....come in stock height, or 2" versions...so the 3" requires more gaps, or more custom fab, etc.

The 2" is 3 hrs of work, the 3" is a full weekend. laugh

If you are doing 35" tires...get the 3" BL...2" BL fits 33's.

Shackles - You can get them from Calmini (Cheapest, but the paint falls off...but, then again, they don't break), SLR, or AC.

They all work...the lengths are typically for getting 3" lift in conjunction with AAL's...IE: 6" eye to eye instead of the stock 3" ...which lifts the butt 1.5".

You can get other lengths...but that's the most common....they range from $50 to about $75, and all work fine structurally.

If you are taking it off road, watch those CAI, they tend to suck in water...TJM makes a snorkle, and ARB I believe is re-designing their snorkle too.

Also the font bumpers, depending on if you like hoops to protect the sides, hood and headlight areas, range from the mid $4's to around $750.

So far, Shrockworks makes the best one as far as toughness, approach angle, impact resistance, tire clearance and overall quality/utility. it hides the winch from sidewalk shoppers, etc.

Calmini, ARB, TJM and KMA make versions as well. People who get a new bumper love them, regardless of which one they get...but they do need to make compromises.

Some people want the winch in plain site, or just like the looks of one bumper over another...and don't mind cutting off part of the new bumper to clear their tires, or the wings falling off, or the paint peeling off, or hitting on approach, etc...so there's no completely wrong choice.

laugh

Sliders are a must too. The rocker panels are very vulnerable, and the flimsy AL steps fold like cubby quail if you hit anything. Also - You can't use a hi-lift unless you get sliders anyway...

Skid plates are not a bad idea either...Skid Row, Shrockworks and Black Panther , and Calmini have versions.

If you are looking at shackles, you are probably looking at a front t-bar crank?

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#644725 - 19/12/05 07:08 PM Re: who makes what??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recomend the seat covers, over and over again they save me from major cleaning. Also not on your list; a rear bumper- Skid row, Calmini and Shrockworks make them.
I have a K&N CAI, it makes the engine sound very nice but yes it is prone to drinking a bit of water if you get too deep.

#644726 - 19/12/05 11:46 PM Re: who makes what??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool... that is a good start for me....

I am getting this as a practicle vehicle... but I cant drive anything un-modded... yes I will be cranking the torsions aswell.... 33s will be the largest tire for now... my wife already knows this is a long haul project... Im sure when its life as our daily driver is over it will be SASd and have all the goodies on there.... heheheh....

It will see some mild off road... probably no mud, but trail and rocks.. I love rock crawling... go camping and play around... that kind of deal...

I have my 1989 bronco for hard core... I will be keeping it too... It has a 6" lift, 36" swampers, lockers, 350+ hp in an engine I just put in it a few weeks back... its my baby... what can I say??

I also cant believe the low range on the X Tcase is only 2:1 ... ahhh... I saw there are upgrades available to 4:1.... probably will skip that one... but that would be far better..

is anyone on here running cams??? would love some input on which ones to pick.... if nobody has upgraded then I can be the test case smile

I would love as much input as I can get....

thanks again
Bob

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal