Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#645210 - 27/04/06 08:22 PM Gen 2 performance
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, the Specifications for my '04 V6 4x4 XE suggest 17/20 MPG (which I don't even get close to, because I usually have one or two bikes on the roof and have been doing A LOT of fast highway driving in strong winds) with 180 HP, and for the '06 V6 4x4 17/21 MPG with 265 HP. How do they get "more for less?" And, can people comment on the performance of the Gen II v. '04 and prior?

I may have the opportunity to trade up. Is it worth it?

#645211 - 27/04/06 10:58 PM Re: Gen 2 performance
Anonymous
Unregistered

They get "more for less" by using a completely different engine with up-to-date technology, so to speak. The VG engines found in '00-'04 Xterras are solid engines but they got old. The technology was there about 15 years ago. You might have noticed that recently cars have been getting more and more pwerful and they are not all that bad on gas.

Gen II performance...well...outperforms Gen I in many aspects. Gen II was completely redesigned (other than key Xterra features). New engine, diff styling, new everything.

One thing you will notice right away is much greater power from the engine.

#645212 - 28/04/06 05:49 AM Re: Gen 2 performance
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, here's another thought/question about this: I have always felt (and I have seen folks post here on the XOC that my '04 X was "a touch under powered"; moreover, that this is really noticable, when you start driving over 65 mph with added aerodynamic drag (such as bike rack on roof with bikes on it and in the wind as we have out here in Nevada). I have attributed this to being a big part of why I am getting really piss poor MPG, and have always thought I could do a lot better by bringing the bikes out of the wind and driving like a little old lady (what can I say - I'm a Masshole, and 65 MPH is too slow [Finger] ).

The question is this: will the added power and tourque of the Gen II engine help me get closer to the MPG rating that is listed, when driving 70-75 MPH? Are the aerodynamics of the Gen II improved (I can feel the drag in my '04 even without wind tunnel results)? And, (though I know folks on the XOC hate to talk about it) can people people list the MPG that they have been seeing while driving the Gen II (with driving style)?

Recently I did an 800-mile trip from Las Vegas to LA and back that included some city driving, but 90% highway, and serious hills along the way. I typically use cruise control at 75-80 MPH (depending on wind - strong head/cross wind going out and solid tailwind on return trip). I had a bike on the roof rack. Right after I got back, I got my oil, oil filter and air filter changed, and noticed a bit of a boost in pep. However, MPG on the whole trip was ~12.5. ('04 X, V6 4x4 MT w/ 45,000 miles).

#645213 - 28/04/06 09:33 AM Re: Gen 2 performance
Anonymous
Unregistered

Might want to invest in a hitch mounted bike rack. Someone here has one for sale as a matter of fact in the Buy/Sell forum.

There is another post on MPG's - mine might have actually been the last one posted. I have a hitch mounted bike rack and typically get about 19 - 20 MPG's with 1 bike attached on the highway. Sorry we're not talking apples to apples here configuration wise, but I do drive fast on the interstate too if that matters. I'm driving at near sea level too which may make a difference if you're somewhere with altitude.

#645214 - 28/04/06 10:25 AM Re: Gen 2 performance
Anonymous
Unregistered

rackwarehouse.com has a hell of a sale going on Yakima racks, 20% off with free shipping...ends Sunday. I just ordered a Kingpin 2 rack for $140 to my door, the price is unbeatable.

#645215 - 28/04/06 11:51 AM Re: Gen 2 performance
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Quote:
Originally posted by WombatZ14:
The question is this: will the added power and tourque of the Gen II engine help me get closer to the MPG rating that is listed, when driving 70-75 MPH? Are the aerodynamics of the Gen II improved (I can feel the drag in my '04 even without wind tunnel results)?
With an SUV, your best mpg friend is speed. Law of physics, can't get around it man. Double your speed, your quadraple your air resistence and your required hp goes up 8 times!

Don't think the aero changed too much, but the engine is more efficient, and the gearing is taller. That'll save you a bit @ 80 mph, like 1 mpg or so.

If you gotta go fast, get a car and leave the truck for the slow but tough stuff that it's designed for.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal