Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#644863 - 25/05/06 07:40 PM Straight Pipes?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was wandering if anybody is running Dual Straight Pipes and if it sounded cool for Xterras? And is it illegal to not have a muffler or does it vary by state?
[drink]

#644864 - 25/05/06 08:19 PM Re: Straight Pipes?
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Unless you are driving a dropped '63 Impalla it's probably not a good idea.

And yes, it is illegal to completely remove the cats or muffler.

#644865 - 25/05/06 08:30 PM Re: Straight Pipes?
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
Unless you are driving a dropped '63 Impalla it's probably not a good idea.

And yes, it is illegal to completely remove the cats or muffler.
Its only illeagal to remove the cats. the neon SRT 4 dose not have a muffler on it it. Its straight pipe from the cat back.

#644866 - 25/05/06 09:40 PM Re: Straight Pipes?
Anonymous
Unregistered

it really depends.. In this instance yes it is illegal to not have a cat.. But I had a friend who had a 1978 BMW 3 series w/o a cat or muffler and it sounded cherry and the best part was no matter how many times the cops pulled him over they couldn't do anything cause it was legal, that model didn't have cats on.

#644867 - 26/05/06 08:48 AM Re: Straight Pipes?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is doubtful a cop will pull you over for not having a cat converter. How would they know.. The noise maybe a problem. But you remove the cat and you OBD II is going to go crazy.. You engine will stay on and who knows what else it will do, might not even allow the engine to stay running.

#644868 - 26/05/06 09:20 AM Re: Straight Pipes?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric97217:
It is doubtful a cop will pull you over for not having a cat converter. How would they know.. The noise maybe a problem. But you remove the cat and you OBD II is going to go crazy.. You engine will stay on and who knows what else it will do, might not even allow the engine to stay running.
Not true. There are no sensors in the cat converter, thus there will be no error codes displayed (computer wouldn't know it's not there). Oxygen sensors are also mounted in front of the cat most of the time.

#644869 - 26/05/06 09:45 AM Re: Straight Pipes?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric97217:
Bull Shit.

Here's exactly what there is/isn't, and what the ECU will do about it.

1. There is an O2 sensor before the cats. This is required for engine control and MUST remain in service.

2. There is an O2 sensor AFTER the cats. This is used to tell the computer if the cats are doing their job.

3. If the O2 sensor in #2 is removed, the ONLY negative that will happen is the "Service Engine Soon" light will come on. There is absolutely NOTHING else that will happen to the vehicle and/or engine. The second O2 sensor is strictly to monitor if the cat is doing its job. The only thing that it does if it is not working is light up the MIL. That's it. Nothing else.

4. It is illegal to remove a cat for on-road vehicles. Mufflers are not required unless the particular area you live in has a noice ordinance. They serve no other purpose than noise muffling, and that is not regulated on the Federal level.

#644870 - 26/05/06 10:04 AM Re: Straight Pipes?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess I was partly right. I had a VW that was eating O2 sensors and when one would go out the engine ran like shit along with the nice flashing Engine Light.

#644871 - 26/05/06 10:59 AM Re: Straight Pipes?
Anonymous
Unregistered

no worries. There's a lot of misinformation on the 02 sensors and the cats out there.

There are only a handful of people that actually know what happens when you remove them...

#644872 - 26/05/06 11:53 AM Re: Straight Pipes?
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Whne I installed the header on my sentra, MY CEL stayed on becuase I had removed the pre cat so the sensors were reading it all messed up.

#644873 - 27/05/06 11:35 PM Re: Straight Pipes?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Porshe996 is right.
I have a 05 with no cats, pertnear straight exhaust. I did install some dynoflow straight through mufflers for tone. The X sounds "SWEET". I race off road with it so it does not matter with the law. My crew says they can hear me coming for a few miles. 5000 rpms from a Nissan 4.0 puts out a distict sound!

#644874 - 27/05/06 11:39 PM Re: Straight Pipes?
Anonymous
Unregistered

By the way I only have the 1st O2 installed right after my header flanges. I get no drivability problems from this set up, other than a check engine light.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal