2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47168 - 18/09/07 03:53 PM Transmission Fluid Change - Tranny mount in the way?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, so I have 33k on my X and I went to change the tranny fluid tonight. Well as some of you may know, the tranny mount is in the way of accessing 2 bolts on the pan. What did you guys do to get around this? I can't get to the top of the bolts that mount the crossmember to the frame rails...
For now I just changed the fluid ~4 quarts.

#47169 - 18/09/07 04:33 PM Re: Transmission Fluid Change - Tranny mount in the way?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im assuming you are taking off the tranny pan to change the filter. Otherwise you don't need to take it off. A little trick I did to flush my tranny.

Do this at your own risk!!
Get two 5 gallon buckets and put the rear axle up on jack stands. Make sure you are in 2WD and your front tires aren't going to go anywhere.

Go to where you'r tranny cooler line runs into the radiator. Unplug the one that is the dumping. (I think its the long one) Place that line into one of the 5 gallon buckets.
Have a buddy in the drivers seat and have him shift through the gears. As this is being done someone is gonna need to pour tranny fluid in through the dipstick. Keep going until you are happy with the color of your tranny fluid. Walla. Pau hana.

I used a little over 5 gallons but thats because I had to do a super flush on my tranny. :rolleyes: the second gallon bucket is there if you use more then 5 gallons. When you are done shifting through gears, top off the tranny and wheel on.

#47170 - 18/09/07 09:51 PM Re: Transmission Fluid Change - Tranny mount in the way?
Anonymous
Unregistered

5 gallons - Holy Sh#t!!! That is a lot of fluid. Hopefully, you changed the filter too.

If I remember correctly, the tranny fluid isn't due until 60K. In my '01 2WD X, I waited until I had 60K on the truck, and then I did a drain and fill including the tranny filter. I don't remember having any trouble getting at the bolts on the pan, though.

On the '06 XOR, I did a drain and fill at 25K, and will probably change the filter next year (approx. 50K).

#47171 - 18/09/07 10:07 PM Re: Transmission Fluid Change - Tranny mount in the way?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea. Did I mention I bought out all the ATF from the local Napa and all of Wal-mart's gallon size containers. I did this flush twice. [Crybaby]

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal