Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#673927 - 29/11/10 06:01 PM Best Tranny fluid for 1st generation Xterra
XCFreak Offline

Loc: Your backyard
Before I get slammed for not searching on a topic that is supposedly well covered, I in fact did do several searches back 10 years and couldn't find the information I needed.

I wanted to know the exact Mobile 1 synthetic ATF that people on this forum have been using. I looked around on the web for the fluid and found two different types: one just says Mobil 1 ATF and the other one says Mobil 1 98HC69 Synthetic ATF. Are they the same product or are they different? The packaging on them are very different.

I have a 2001 SE 4x4 with 192K on it. The last tranny drain/fill was at 90K. Which of the two types did you all use?

Sorry if I missed the thread that covered this topic, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, now that everyone has had a chance to run on their non-OEM fluid for a few hundred miles now, it might be good just to get some feedback as to the performance of these products (Mobil 1, Amsol, Royal Purple, etc...)

Thanks

#673937 - 30/11/10 01:06 PM Re: Best Tranny fluid for 1st generation Xterra [Re: XCFreak]
redsox021384 Offline

Great question. Someone please answer.

#673942 - 30/11/10 05:33 PM Re: Best Tranny fluid for 1st generation Xterra [Re: redsox021384]
XCFreak Offline

I read in one thread that 1st gen takes Dextron/Mercon, another thread simply says Synthetic ATF.

Well, according to Mobil 1, they have 6 different types of ATF.

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF
Mobil Dexron-VI ATF
Mobil ATF D/M
Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF
Mobil ATF 3309
Mobil Type F ATF

And of course, there's the one I found on Amazon,
Mobil 1 98HC69 Synthetic ATF

Any help would be great. Thanks.

#673954 - 01/12/10 03:22 PM Re: Best Tranny fluid for 1st generation Xterra [Re: XCFreak]
XCFreak Offline

I dug around some more and found the answer. Posting it here for others who might be searching for the same info.

Basically, Mobil 1 has changed their packaging several times. The one that's supposedly compatible for 1st gen Xterras are those that are Matic-D compatible or Mercon V / Dextron III compatible which looks to be Mobil 1 Multi-vehicle formula Synthetic ATF. The Mobil 1 98HC69 ATF looks to be the correct one to use.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer: Mobil 1
Part Number: 98HC69

Product Description:

ExxonMobil produces conventional, synthetic blend and fully synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluids (ATFs) for the wide variety of cars on the road today. As with our motor oils, we ensure the highest quality ATFs for your car.

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is designed to provide significantly higher levels of performance above conventional fluids in most domestic and imported passenger vehicles.

The synthetic base oil enables excellent performance even in the severest of operating conditions. It offers outstanding gear shifting and power transfer performance versus conventional ATF fluids. The inherently high viscosity index and stability of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF help protect against thermal breakdown at high operating temperatures, while still providing outstanding performance at very low ambient temperatures.

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF combines high-performance synthetic hydrocarbon base oils and a superior balanced additive system to provide significantly higher levels of performance above conventional fluids. This unique, advanced technology provides long drain capability, excellent friction retention, and low-temperature fluidity. Further, it helps to improve overall transmission durability and cleanliness. Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is also compatible with conventional ATFs.

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is formulated for use in most North American, European and Asian vehicles.

# Approved for Allison C-4 applications
# Exceeds JASO 1-A performance standard
# Also suitable for use in vehicles that specify the following fluid requirements:

# Audi G 052 025-A2, G 052 162-A1
# BMW LA2634
# Esso LT 71141
# ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B, N402
# Ford* MERCON*, MERCON V, MERCON LV
# All 2005 and earlier GM vehicles**
# Honda ATF-Z1*
# Hyundai SP-II, SP-III
# Idemitsu K17
# JWS 3309
# Kia SP-II, SP-III
# MAN 339F, V1, V2, Z1, Z2, Z3
# Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV
# Mercedes-Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
# Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II, SP-III
# Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K
# Subaru ATF
# Toyota T-III, T-IV
# Voith 55.6335.XX (G607, G1363)
# Volvo 97340
# ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 09, 14A, 14B, 16L, 17C

* Not recommend for CVT applications, MerconĀ® SP, Ford Type F
** Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF is recommended for 2006 and newer GM vehicles and improved performance in 2005 and earlier vehicles, wherever DEXRON is specified.

Automatic transmissions should be checked for proper fluid levels at regular intervals, and the fluid should be changed at manufacturer-recommended intervals. However, this may vary due to your vehicle's operating conditions. Some manufacturers recommend more frequent changes of transmission fluid under severe driving conditions, such as heavy traffic, hot weather and trailer pulling.

Additional Information:
None

Guaranteed Fitments:
None

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal