Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168029 - 22/06/03 09:53 PM found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
Ruger1022 Offline

Loc: Visalia, CA
I went out this sunday to do some informal plinking, before I ever fired a shot I found(she found me) a puppy. Someone seems to have dumped her well away from town, or any houses. She seems to be a young( 6-monthes?), brown, pitbull or pit-mix. She's had a litter of pups(none now). She's very friendly, gets along with other dogs and people, seems to know her way around people( knows enough to want what we're eating and to get down when we say to...). We've got her at home now, bathed and looked over, she seems to be in good health, seems to have her adult teeth, even handles a bath pretty well. Also does ok on a leash, esp for her age. Real sweet dog.
So now the question is, can anyone provide her with a good home? We can make arrangments to transport or meet? She really seems great, we've just got one dog already, and spoiling two would be taxing... If anyones interested please let me know soon, 'cause if shes around too long we'll grow attached and have to keep her...
I can e-mail pics if requested, but haven't figured out how to post them here yet.
MV

#168030 - 23/06/03 12:20 AM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
number41 Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
You can email your pics to me, I will post them for you. Click on my email icon in my post for the address.

I would also change your post's title to read something like: "Found: Puppy, anyone have a good home?" or something like that so people will actually read it.

smile

Small hands in third world countries make quality products.

#168031 - 23/06/03 05:05 AM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
You should keep her. I have two dogs and four cats. Your other dog might like the company, especially when you are all out of the house and the dogs are alone. Just a suggestion. wink

I hope you find a good home. I hate to see when people abandon animals. I makes me sick to my stomach.

#168032 - 23/06/03 06:39 AM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Have you checked with the local police and animal rescue groups? Check with them first - she might have just gotten lost.

6 month old dogs don't have puppies - she's gotta be much older than that.

We found a german shepherd once out in George Washington Forest - we checked with all the groups first, waited for about 2 weeks before there was no response - then had her adopted through a GSD rescue group. I believe the dog is now in New York somewhere.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#168033 - 23/06/03 07:26 AM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
Ruger1022 Offline

I'm just guessing on the age, but she's still a pup herself, way to young to be having pups of her own(but on the other hand, our county does consistantly lead the country in teen pregnancy rates...). There are no local police for the area, and the Sherriff could care less. I'll look into animal rescue, but don't know of any around. Not likely she was lost, we checked with the closest houses(3 miles), they don't know her, and they're the only houses even remotely nearby. I'll take and e-mail pics after work, thanks for the help.
MV

#168034 - 23/06/03 10:20 AM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
buffalo Offline

Loc: los angeles, california
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:

error, should have quoted rugger1022 on estimating her age, my mistake.
WRONG!!! Dogs come in to their first estrus (heat cycle) between 7 and 9 months old, so she has to be closer to a year old.
As for finding her a home check around for pit bull rescue, they usually know what they are dealing with when you talk about pit mixes, most rescues won't take her if you tell them that she is a pit bull mix due to possible aggression with other dogs, most shelters do not adopt out pit bulls or pit bull mixes so really consider what her life will be if you turn her in to a shelter. So if you can't keep her your best bet is to find a pit bull rescue.

#168035 - 23/06/03 10:24 AM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
WRONG!!! Dogs come in to their first estrus (heat cycle) between 7 and 9 months old.
I don't understand your logic. Moby said she has to be greater than 6 months and you proved him correct by saying 7-9 months. Since even if she was abnormal and had the litter at 6 months you have to give some time for her to actually have the puppies.

Yeah, I know nothing about dogs, but it just annoys me when people love to just prove other people wrong, and this case is even stranger when you prove him right.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#168036 - 23/06/03 08:46 PM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
number41 Offline

Quote:
WRONG!!!
Geez man, calm down!

Anyway, Ruger1022 sent me pics to host for him so here goes, she's a cutey. Someone call Babyx!

#168037 - 23/06/03 09:14 PM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Leslie says she looks to be 1-2 years old and in good shape. I would recommend getting her spayed and keeping her, since she was probably used to breed, and possibly dumped (especially if you live in the ghettos like we do). APBT's are very intelligent dogs (with the exception of ours*), and very loyal.

#168038 - 23/06/03 09:34 PM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
Quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Quote:
[b]WRONG!!! Dogs come in to their first estrus (heat cycle) between 7 and 9 months old.
I don't understand your logic. Moby said she has to be greater than 6 months and you proved him correct by saying 7-9 months. Since even if she was abnormal and had the litter at 6 months you have to give some time for her to actually have the puppies.

Yeah, I know nothing about dogs, but it just annoys me when people love to just prove other people wrong, and this case is even stranger when you prove him right.[/b]
Just so you know, Jorge....buffalo is an experienced vet tech. It's not like he's out to make a point or prove someone wrong - he knows what he's talking about.

#168039 - 23/06/03 09:49 PM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
number41 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

Just wake up or hung over?

laugh

#168040 - 24/06/03 07:57 AM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
buffalo Offline

Loc: los angeles, california
Looking at the pics, she is definitely a pit bull or pit mix and is at least a year old, its very hard to pinpoint her age some where between 1 and 3 years old. XOC is right they are very loyal, but remember loyal can also mean very protective and just because they are friendly with people does not necessarily mean they are dog friendly, or if you have other dogs you might want to reconsider keeping her, there behavior can change instantly. Don't get me wrong I really like pit bulls but alot of people don't know what they are getting themselves into.

#168041 - 24/06/03 08:18 AM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
MBFlyerfan Offline

In my experience, pit bulls are only as bad as thier owner makes them, Since you do not know this dogs history be a bit carefull. But remember this, Cocker-Spaniels are involved in more biting incidents than Pits.

#168042 - 24/06/03 09:13 AM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas

I found her in Vicksburg when camping on my way back from the plant tour. I kept her though. smile
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#168043 - 24/06/03 10:45 AM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
MBFlyerfan Offline

Way to go hattrik. [Wave] laugh

#168044 - 24/06/03 11:11 AM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
Kt Offline

Loc: Montgomery, Texas
What a cute Aussie Dan! I can see why you kept her!

#168045 - 24/06/03 07:04 PM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
Ruger1022 Offline

Ok, I've looked on the web, I'm no master surfer or anything, but I can't find any useful info on shelters where we can take her, lots of 'blah-blah-pits are great blah-blah-please help them/us blah-blah', but no real help. Any of you web gurus have any suggestions? Still no takers here? Over the past few days we've noticed that she's real quiet, plays fetch, seems to know the word "no", and doesn't like it when she drops her ball to the bottom of the water bucket. Any help is appreciated.
MV

#168046 - 24/06/03 07:22 PM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,

those are the some real cute dogs!! Gotta agree with the comment that pits (or any animal for that matter!) are only as their owners train/raise them. at my last apartment one of my neighbors had a pit pup who was really aggressive (pulling on chain, climing all over you) but once you got to know her and let her know you she was also the sweetest dog in the world with me and my dog. That said, if I didnt know her, I'd be terrified of that little sucker!!

rescue group is definitely the way to go to find her a new home. This may not help but try going to NEARR . They are a North east retreiver rescue group. There may be links to pit rescues that could get you in touch with a local rescue.

Good luck!!!! cool

#168047 - 24/06/03 07:48 PM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruger1022:
Ok, I've looked on the web, I'm no master surfer or anything, but I can't find any useful info on shelters where we can take her, lots of 'blah-blah-pits are great blah-blah-please help them/us blah-blah', but no real help. Any of you web gurus have any suggestions? Still no takers here? Over the past few days we've noticed that she's real quiet, plays fetch, seems to know the word "no", and doesn't like it when she drops her ball to the bottom of the water bucket. Any help is appreciated.
MV
Try here (there's three listed for California): Rescue Groups for American Pit Bull Terriers

Or here: Pit Bull Rescue Central

If you can't adopt her yourself, at least find a no-kill shelter.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#168048 - 24/06/03 09:45 PM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
Ruger1022 Offline

Thanks, I've been to several sites and left many an E-mail.... just now to hope and wait on responses. All the local no-kills are full, and even the local spca wants nothing to do with her since she was from outside city limits... we'll just have to keep trying.
MV

#168049 - 25/06/03 08:39 PM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
Ruger1022 Offline

Thanks for all the help guys! She went home with a friends co-worker today. Good home, guy was looking for a pit bull anyway, preferred a male but once he met her he was willing to go with a female. Sad to see her go, but glad that its all for the best. Thanks again for all the help.
MV

#168050 - 25/06/03 09:13 PM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruger1022:
Thanks for all the help guys! She went home with a friends co-worker today. Good home, guy was looking for a pit bull anyway, preferred a male but once he met her he was willing to go with a female. Sad to see her go, but glad that its all for the best. Thanks again for all the help.
MV
Good news indeed.

#168051 - 26/06/03 04:42 AM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
MBFlyerfan Offline

hey Ruger, excellent. Keep us updated on how it goes with the new owner. I would be interested to hear. smile

#168052 - 26/06/03 07:56 AM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
Xterrian Offline

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
Damn, I researched the breeder of my dog for six months, tracked bloodlines, and paid over $500. Here you guys are just finding good dogs on the street and in the woods. How do you get so lucky?

Before anybody gives me the shelter talk, I wanted something very specific and am way too soft hearted to go into a shelter. I would be trying to leave with all of them.

#168053 - 26/06/03 08:20 AM Re: found: puppy, abandoned, needs good home, with pic's
MBFlyerfan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterrian:
Damn, I researched the breeder of my dog for six months, tracked bloodlines, and paid over $500. Here you guys are just finding good dogs on the street and in the woods. How do you get so lucky?

Before anybody gives me the shelter talk, I wanted something very specific and am way too soft hearted to go into a shelter. I would be trying to leave with all of them.
I am the same way. When one of my black cats dissapeared during Holloween (yea! [Uh Oh !] ), I was in the shelters every day looking for him. It just broke my heart to be in those places knowing what was going to happen to them because people are irresponsible. Well, after a week my cat came back, and I also took one of the dogs home from the shelter that tried to catch my eye every day. He would jump and bark and just basically call attention to himself in every way possible. It turns out he is just high strung and after THREE YEARS his owners decided they didnt want him anymore and just put him in a shelter. He was due to be destroyed the next day. So I took him home and have had him for a year now. It makes me weepy just thinking about it. He is still high strung but discipline and bounderies have helped us to reign him in. I now have 2 dogs and 4 cats, everyone gets along great. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal