2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168154 - 09/09/07 03:08 PM The nature of existence...
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I completely understand the concept that space must extend infinetly in all directions...it cannot be otherwise...

...and that there can be no beginning or end to time...

During my shower...that was not the hard part...

Its matter I was having trouble with...how can THAT be infinite?

An infinite empty void, ok, easy enough...

...but, where would matter come from inside it?

What mechanism could explain the formation of matter....from what did it originate?

I don't mean big bang era stuff...I mean EVER...

There would HAVE to be an infinite empty void for everything to exist within...that made sense...

But what would make matter form?

[Freak]

I thought about this during the entire shower...and I think I've got it figured out.

Nothing would make matter form; what ever it came from, a harmonic, some sub atomic particle, etc....would have to ALSO come from somewhere or some thing....so:

The universe, logically, is NOT an infinite empty void with some matter floating around...and, as what we call matter has HAD to always exist...it could NOT have materialized at some point...

So matter has therefore always existed just like the rest of the universe has, and, more importantly, has to be what the universe is made of.

We already know that matter and energy are essentially interchangeable...and that it appears in different forms at different times.

So - that means that there is no void...its all a continous entity, perhaps what we call energy that can form matter under certain conditions.

So, this energy is what extends for eternity in all directions, and has always existed, with different forms over time, etc.

This sounds reasonable to me....does anyone else have thoughts on this?

[drink]

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#168155 - 09/09/07 03:17 PM Re: The nature of existence...
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
I agree.

Everything has always existed in some form or another, there was never "nothing" in my opinion. How could there be?

#168156 - 09/09/07 03:23 PM Re: The nature of existence...
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
TJ, did you just watch the Hawkins Paradox about Steven Hawkens and black holes? Just watched it an hour or so ago. Deep stuff... or something. All that really matters is that my steak that I'm about to cook doesn't disappear because I'm pretty darn hungry!

#168157 - 09/09/07 04:41 PM Re: The nature of existence...
Anonymous
Unregistered

#168158 - 09/09/07 05:12 PM Re: The nature of existence...
TJ Offline

:rolleyes:

That's not even related other than it mentions matter/energy.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#168159 - 09/09/07 06:31 PM Re: The nature of existence...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I feel some debate about religeon coming on...

#168160 - 09/09/07 06:41 PM Re: The nature of existence...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree, E=MC2 pretty much sums that up. I imagine mater as a form of energy folded up in on itself, many many times. The thing I have trouble getting my brain around is that it's always been there. I don't disagree with this, but being the finite sentient thing that I am, I've definitely gotta question whether or not I've got the organic makeup to actually grasp that fully. I am after all a by product of this.

#168161 - 09/09/07 08:16 PM Re: The nature of existence...
Anonymous
Unregistered

TJ: The plane takes off, and revolvers suck. Deal with it.

[Finger]

(I'm back to feeling better, now...)

#168162 - 09/09/07 08:33 PM Re: The nature of existence...
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I fart and it doesn't make a noise, does it still stink?

#168163 - 09/09/07 08:36 PM Re: The nature of existence...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe "He who smelt it, dealt it" comes into play in that instance Rat.

#168164 - 09/09/07 09:01 PM Re: The nature of existence...
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
If I fart and it doesn't make a noise, does it still stink?
Depends on what you ate.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#168165 - 09/09/07 09:07 PM Re: The nature of existence...
Anonymous
Unregistered

What I meant is, we know it can stink if it makes no sound. If it does so, makes no sound yet still stinks, and we do not speak of it eek , we are really denying it's existence in whole, as if it never really happened.
[Uh Oh !]

#168166 - 09/09/07 09:09 PM Re: The nature of existence...
TJ Offline

I mean more than just that matter and energy are interchangeable...Einstien already expressed thoughts on that....

What I'm trying to say, is that there is no empty space....its not a void...and the parts that quantuum mechanics and Newtonian Physics run into contradictions and unexplained results for, may be explained by taking this into account.

I'm saying that energy and matter has had to always exist, as no external force can logically create it....and that logically, it therefore is comprised of an energy interchangeable with matter under certain conditions....and possibly not the energy and matter that we commonly refer to...but the actual fabric of the universe itself, at its most basic level.

#168167 - 10/09/07 09:49 AM Re: The nature of existence...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

I'm saying that energy and matter has had to always exist
And how did it get there...(It had to have been created outside of a physical understanding since it cannot materialize from a void).

#168168 - 10/09/07 12:55 PM Re: The nature of existence...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
I mean more than just that matter and energy are interchangeable...Einstien already expressed thoughts on that.....and the parts that quantuum mechanics and Newtonian Physics run into contradictions and unexplained results...

Hey TJ,
You really thing a bunch of morons on a truck board (myself included)are gonna figure this out?
[Huh?] wink

#168169 - 10/09/07 01:21 PM Re: The nature of existence...
TJ Offline

Why not?

We gave the OTHER guys long enough, don't you think?

laugh

#168170 - 08/10/07 07:40 AM Re: The nature of existence...
TJ Offline

OK - so if you are still with me...

We know that sound waves propagate at known velocities in different media, as in the speed of sound is different at different altitudes, in water vs metal, etc.

We know that sound, or light, bouncing off a reflector doesn't change speed, merely continues in the new direction at the same speed, even when bounced back in the opposite direction.

The limiting factor seems to be the balance between propagation/transmission speed - vs - how fast the stuff in the way can get OUT of the way....as in if it can't get out of the way fast enough, there is a sonic boom, etc.

We also know that light is propagated at a known speed...a constant, albeit there are limited circumstances that slow or speed up light as well.....but not the same things that speed up or slow down sound, etc.

We also know that light can be bent by gravity, or at least as it passes by massive bodies, its path is deflected proportional to the mass involved.

That means that light's speed is limited by the stuff in its way....but the stuff is not stuff that we seem to have identified, and, it appears to have mass, and be energy....at the same time.

It also seems that if we find out what it is that is limiting light's speed, we could accelerate light to higher speeds by creating a media w/o this interference.

I've been thinking about Momentum....

as in WHY is there a tendancy for an object in motion to stay in motion......obviously, they do, but, what is it about our universe that makes that happen?

Why does a wave propagate, a ball fly over the outfield fence when hit, etc.?

It appears to me that an object can be imbued with directed energy.....but, REALLY, what is making matter DO that?

Once the initial impact is made, and one object physically pushes another...WHY does it keep going long AFTER the initial contact......what's pushing it after that?

The easy answer is momentum, but, I am asking the most elemental question...why IS there momentum?

Is it related to wave propagation?

Is there something in the universe that acts to conduct matter along a path? Like when you light a light, and the light travels away at a known speed.....why that speed, what's the reason its not faster or slower?

The parts of the universe we don't know about, call it dark matter, or what ever...might be what acts in this fashion.

What do you think?

#168171 - 08/10/07 08:24 AM Re: The nature of existence...
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Your discussion of matter is related to inertia.

When discussing light, you are talking about general relativity and electromagnetic radiation.

Light is not considered matter.

The answer to your question is obviously the effect created by the anti-matter universe on our universe.

eek

#168172 - 08/10/07 09:08 AM Re: The nature of existence...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a big burrito earlier and I believe that the gravitational pull of the earth shall increase 2 mins and 55 seconds before I leave the bathroom.

This will result in more dark matter and Energy (can be proved with a match) being released and it could result in the moon shifting its orbit around our planet. The inertia generated during its first few inches of fall shall be SIGNIFICANT!! Earthquakes of magnitude 9 will befall the central US!! wink

So in short.... the end is near, Armageddon is about to arrive. Kiss your loved ones, hug your friends, make amends with your enemies & hold hands. Because.... I ... am ... going... to ... flush. [Smoking]

#168173 - 08/10/07 02:27 PM Re: The nature of existence...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, man you got yourself a good question there, one which I can not explain.

I do offer this. Matter and energy are interchangable, we know this. What types of matter and energy becomes what types of matter and energy is the problem. There are many forms of both. Examples would be dark matter, and antimatter. Dark matter, if I am not mistaken, is an essential matter for the big bang theory.

So my understanding would then lead me to believe that energy existed first, the big bang changed this energy into matter as we know it today.

So the question then becomes, what energy was present prior to the big bang, and why was it that the big bang produced the matter and energy known today.

Then there is also Shrodinger's cat, which in this instance would mean that there is a possibility that the universe did not exist until we observed it.

This is where God would come in. Since the cat is a duality, both alive and dead, and you don't know until it is observed, maybe religion created the beings to observe the universe, thus the universe was "created" by a higher power.

I am not very good at putting my thoughts on paper, one reason I am an engineer, not a writer.

#168174 - 08/10/07 03:17 PM Re: The nature of existence...
TJ Offline

Matter and energy are not really interchangeable, I think its more like they are the same thing, but expressed in different units.

The problem is that they have calculated that photons have no mass, but, that they have weight...and that mass itself may not be as simple as first thought.

Einstien was talking about mass distorting the universe, like a bowling ball on your bed...it creates a low point that other things would roll towards (Warping time/space is how he put it I think...)

So - that begs the question...WHAT is the bed made of?

WHAT is distorted by the object, such that other objects fall toward it?

IE: Gravity would not be a force that pulls you towards a mass, it would be the way the mass shaped the bed, making you fall towards it.

OK - fine and dandy...WTF is the bed made of?

If we look at outer space....a sound wave will not propagate through it, but a radio wave will, a light wave will, etc.

If I shine a light onto water, it won't make a splash....

If I blow up a bomb in space, you couldn't hear it...

If I swap media though, the bomb makes a splash, and propagates waves, and the light will propagate waves that travel through the universe.

That means that outer space is made of something....something that can resonate with certain conditions...and not others.

That also means that the attraction between objects has more to do with their relative warping of that damn bed.

But - If THAT'S the case....why do we have momentum?

Why does the wave propagate at all?

IS there a wave, or is it just a ripple in the bed started by the source that propagates?

Light, sound, magnetic and electric fields, etc...all have frequencies......how far apart the ripples are....and amplitudes, how tall/deep the ripples are.

Logically, I have trouble with an OBJECT travelling in a wave pattern....it makes no sense unless its being affected by some sort of stuff in its way....like a leaf fluttering down from a tree, etc.

Same with energy....it should either stay put, or move in a path to its destination....UNLESS its being inteferred with by stuff in its way.

Everything comes back to there being stuff in the way....what is it?

Dark matter, or some of dark matter?

Anti-Matter?

Is a thermonuclear explosion due to expansion above the speed of light, like a sonic boom is from something exceeding the speed of sound?

The "stuff" can't get out of the way any faster than the speed of light, so we have a "photic flash" instead of a sonic boom?

Sound is not a thing...its a wave propagating through a media....like a ball swings into a ball, which swings into a ball, etc...

...the last ball has nothing to do with the first, other than the first one sending all of the others at it.

In water, or air, its the water or air that carries the propagation......

Is a beam of light the same thing, or a similar principle?

Is the stuff in deep space the same as in our solar system?

If the stuff in deep space can get out of the way quickly enough when a nuclear bomb goes off, would there be the same type of explosion?

I don't buy the whole warping of time space crap.....time is not a thing, you can't affect it....and space is just the place the stuff occurs, you can't affect it....

......the only things that can be warped relative to time and space are things IN time and space....what ever the bed is made of....and, obviously, what WE are really made of.

OK, I think we're surrounded by this stuff....and, I think that to understand how to get a handle on it....we need to know why momentum exists...as it appears that momentum may be related to this warping....as in speeding through the medium appears to set things in motion, literally, and figuratively.

#168175 - 08/10/07 03:55 PM Re: The nature of existence...
NY Madman Offline

I think you are wrong about the warping of time and space... or spacetime.

Mass and gravity does have an effect. I also don't think you are correct about time.

Time is a thing. It is not a tangible thing like matter, but it can be affected by the physical universe.

It may also be possible to travel through time. Not into the past, but only into the future.

Magnetism most probably holds the key somewhere. The relationship between it and time dilation could make forward movement in time possible. Of course the velocity factor would have to be overcome somehow.

The universe is also expanding. You forgot to ask, what is it expanding into?

The Big Bang most likely created two universes. Our physical universe containing matter and another... either identical or parallel universe containing the anti-matter or anti-particles of the energy that existed to create the Big Bang.

The relationship between the matter and anti-matter universes upon each other could explain much of the phenomena of our universe. That relationship would most likely be magnetic in nature because all electrons are themselves tiny magnets. The same would also be true in the anti-matter universe, but only in reverse or the opposite.

Both universes could occupy the same space, but in different dimensional planes.

#168176 - 09/10/07 09:23 AM Re: The nature of existence...
TJ Offline

Naw, you're a Madman for thinking that.

wink

Time is not a real dimension, merely a construct.....you can't grab time and move it.

You just use time to tell how far it is between events chronologically.

If something has happened, it happened.

If something is going to happen, it will happen, but, you cannot KNOW it will happen for sure until it does.....as event leading up to it can change it, etc.

There is no future to travel to, because it has not happened yet.

There is no past to travel to, because you already missed it.

#168177 - 09/10/07 09:42 AM Re: The nature of existence...
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

Naw, you're a Madman for thinking that.

wink

Time is not a real dimension, merely a construct.....you can't grab time and move it.

You just use time to tell how far it is between events chronologically.

If something has happened, it happened.
You are wrong. Mass has an effect on time.

Time IS the fourth dimension. It is more than a "construct" as you claim.

Quote:
If something is going to happen, it will happen, but, you cannot KNOW it will happen for sure until it does.....as event leading up to it can change it, etc.

There is no future to travel to, because it has not happened yet.

There is no past to travel to, because you already missed it.
It will never be possible to travel into the past, but traveling into the future may be possible.

Because of relativity, to a person who remains on earth the future has not happened yet. To an individual or body in motion there can be a time dilation because of the difference in the relative velocities between the two.

That is why travel to the past can never be possible, but because of velocity, it is theoretically possible to travel into the future.

#168178 - 09/10/07 10:17 AM Re: The nature of existence...
TJ Offline

Tell me how mass has an effect upon time.

laugh

(Other than if you are too fat, you may not have enough time to lose enough weight, etc...)

THEN,

Expound upon -

If you travel into the future, it is merely your present at that point.

How can you have a relative velocity between an existing object or person, and one that does not exist yet?

We are all travelling forward in time...but, we never get out of the present, because, by definition, the present is when we are....not where we'll be.

If we get there...that's the present.

If the future didn't happen yet, we can't go there anyway.

If we COULD travel into the future, did we skip the past that would have occurred, and, if so, as we (As you theorized) can't go back into the past.....are we who we would have been at that point in the future if we HAD those intirim life experiences?

And if we are not, we are not truly in the future, merely a bastardized relocation of some sort.

Which is all a moot point, as its impossible to travel in time, we are mired in the present, no matter where we go.

I know there are theories, and so forth, but they are all flawed, and require things that don't exist to occur to make it work.

Its nice to call time a 4th dimension, and it is a dimension in that things do also occur in time, and if one were plot something's position completely, the time that it existed at that position is certainly relevant, etc.

We can make something move in the other 3 dimensions though, but we can only observe where in the 4th dimension it is, we do not have the ability to take an object, and place it at another time other than the present......

.......we can PLAN to HAVE it at some point in the future...but, we have to WAIT for that time to occur, for it to BE there eventually.

I can make something longer, shorter, less dense, more dense, remove mass or add mass, move it to other locations in the universe.....but, when it gets there, it will be in the present.

laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal