Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167249 - 04/03/08 09:17 PM From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I’ve been playing guitar since 4th grade, and played in various rock bands and the school jazz band in high school and college. So when my 13 year old son and 11 year old daughter pooled their Christmas money to get Guitar Hero for their Play Station, well, what could I do. They both got pretty got at it, but the few time I tried it I sucked badly.

So anyway, after getting boo’d off the stage playing Rock and Roll All Night (never got boo’s when I played it in REAL bands!), I said screw it and broke out my old Flying V and started playing the real thing (kinda like in a certain South Park episode). I kinda did it in good fun as a goof, but then my kids asked if I could teach them! So short version – I picked up a lesson book at the local music store and now I’m giving my kids guitar lessons - The real thing, starting with the basics, notes, hand positioning, etc.
We’re doing the lessons on my acoustic guitars for starters (steel strings, make their little fingers suffer!!!). Guess I’m old school and think that’s the best way to start (hey, that’s what I did.). So far so good!

So then a few days ago at work, I hear one of my co-workers on the phone with a local music store asking about guitars. Turns out his daughter got Guitar Hero, and now wants lessons on the real thing too!

So is this a new trend? Anyone else know anyone who’s taking up real guitar after playing Guitar Hero?

Pretty cool trend if it exists, but it will be interesting to see how many people stick with it.

#167250 - 04/03/08 09:37 PM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I doubt it, guitar hero is different from playing a real guitar as you figured out.

#167251 - 04/03/08 10:13 PM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
you so were playing in your iunderwear were you not?

Like the Sp episode.

You are Fags!!!

#167252 - 05/03/08 04:20 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm actually starting to pick up a guitar (never played Guitar Hero, but wanted to). I'm learning more chords each day, just having a VERY difficult time playing bar chords. I can't seem to get my pointer finger across the frets on my acoustic guitar without NOT playing like 2 or 3 notes. Any suggestions?

#167253 - 05/03/08 04:21 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
MidnightX Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
I hate playing the guitar controller in Rock Band, BUT I can tell you the drums are super hard and challenging and are FUN! They are REALLY helping me with my drum lessons! I play it all the time and it's helped with my timing tremendously! But I got the game because I was learning the drums, not vice versa.

Let me also just say -- I am so glad these games are such a huge hit and kids are wanting to learn to play music. So much better than the violent shoot-em-up games that don't really teach your kids anything!

#167254 - 05/03/08 07:30 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightX:
But I got the game because I was learning the drums, not vice versa.
How do you reach the toms or cymbals? confused

#167255 - 05/03/08 07:43 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I hate playing the guitar controller in Rock Band, BUT I can tell you the drums are super hard and challenging and are FUN! They are REALLY helping me with my drum lessons! I play it all the time and it's helped with my timing tremendously! But I got the game because I was learning the drums, not vice versa.

Let me also just say -- I am so glad these games are such a huge hit and kids are wanting to learn to play music. So much better than the violent shoot-em-up games that don't really teach your kids anything!
When the zombies come all the kids who were playing the violent shoot 'em up games will save your ass laugh

#167256 - 05/03/08 08:15 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Origami Gangsta:
Quote:
[b]But I got the game because I was learning the drums, not vice versa.
How do you reach the toms or cymbals? confused [/b]
Ohhhhhhhhhhh SNAP!, that was mean. If the dude from Def Leopard could do it

#167257 - 05/03/08 08:18 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
[QB]They are REALLY helping me with my drum lessons! I play it all the time and it's helped with my timing tremendously! But I got the game because I was learning the drums, not vice versa./QB]
Really? I am a drummer and I tried rockband once and absolutely sucked... it was embarrassing shocked

#167258 - 05/03/08 08:21 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
GrayHam Offline

#167259 - 05/03/08 09:03 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
Anonymous
Unregistered

This can only be a good thing. Just think, something positive comes from gaming. It certainly won't replace unfunded music programs in schools, but it certainly won't hurt anything.

I wish I could play. I have terrible dexterity in my fingers.

Grayham, you owe me a new keyboard for posting that pic.

#167260 - 05/03/08 09:46 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
MidnightX Offline

I need that pic on a t-shirt for my first gig!!!!! Seriously, where did you get it?

CSH -- it totally helps me with timing. It IS hard, though. I'm having a difficult time with "Orange Crush" by REM on medium level. I shall master it soon! I got a 93% on "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath my first time trying it. WOOHOO!

#167261 - 05/03/08 09:48 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
MidnightX Offline

WAIT I found the shirt! I will order it tomorrow! (Payday.) wink

#167262 - 05/03/08 10:22 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
Anonymous
Unregistered

wait until you get up to the Blink 182 Song.

#167263 - 05/03/08 10:31 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
MidnightX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by far west X:
wait until you get up to the Blink 182 Song.
Yeah I don't think I've unlocked that song yet. [Uh Oh !]

#167264 - 05/03/08 11:14 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
Quote:
Originally posted by placebo31:
I'm actually starting to pick up a guitar (never played Guitar Hero, but wanted to). I'm learning more chords each day, just having a VERY difficult time playing bar chords. I can't seem to get my pointer finger across the frets on my acoustic guitar without NOT playing like 2 or 3 notes. Any suggestions?
That part will come with time. There are a few things that could be contributing. One of the obvious is hand strength, you are using muscles you haven't used before. Secondly, check the action of the guitar. Action is what is referred to as the height of the string off the fretboard. The higher the action, the harder it will be to press down basically. Try to lower the action, not too low or the intonation may get out of whack or your strings may buzz. Your local guitar shop should be able to help for a relatively cheap price. Also make sure that your thumb is lined up with your barred finger. Work on that press. Don't do it too long or that little muscle between your thumb and forefinger may cramp up.

One more thing that could contribute. Wearing your guitar too low. Raise the strap up an inch or two. That will help your hand to be able to be in a better position and not have to bend your wrist so much to get in position. Think more Tom Morello and less Larry Lalonde

Do not "fret", I have been playing for 21 years and it still happens to me sometimes when I am playing an acoustic guitar with high action.

Keep at it. Practice REALLY does help. learn your basic chords then try to teach yourself songs to keep it interesting. I find that Nirvana has a lot of beginner friendly songs.

#167265 - 05/03/08 12:32 PM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Placebo,
MBFlyerfan's points are all excellent.
I'm gonna put a little extra emphasis on left hand position:
If you are learning on your own, you probably don't have any one breathing down your neck (no pun intended) to re-enforce good hand position.

If you google Guitar Left Hand Position you'll find some good pics and pointers.
(I'd throw up some choice links but I'm at work and gotta run).

Stick with it! Patience and practice are the key!

#167266 - 16/03/08 03:50 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Timmaaahhh

#167267 - 16/03/08 05:58 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
InfX708 Offline

Loc: Ft. Bragg, NC
I'm still waiting for Bagpipe Hero. Leaves you breathless and stirs you to want to play one of those violent games where you can run around and shoot everybody.

#167268 - 16/03/08 07:07 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
Anonymous
Unregistered

well, if i can get my 360 online, i wanna find some country songs with some banjo parts. i wanna learn to play the banjo.

#167269 - 16/03/08 07:19 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
MidnightX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuzuman03:
well, if i can get my 360 online, i wanna find some country songs with some banjo parts. i wanna learn to play the banjo.
One of my best friends moved to Knoxville b/c her husband got a job there, and she is taking banjo lessons. She figured "when in Rome"... wink

#167270 - 22/03/08 10:00 AM Re: From Guitar Hero to guitar player??
Anonymous
Unregistered

well, if you want to learn how to play guitar using GH, why not use a real guitar .

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal