Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167952 - 26/03/07 12:12 PM New date scam
Firebraun Offline

Loc: Reno, Nevada
For you single guys:

Friend has a sister that lives in San Fran. She tells him there is a new "game" that single women there play. I would imagine it's more prevalent in major cities where there are is lot of expensive dining to be had, and a lot of single, rich men.

Goes like this: Woman takes out a personal ad on Match.com or some "personal's" site like that. Then she surfs the mens ads. Finds guy, contacts him, acts really interested, arranges to meet "for drinks" at a really expensive 5-star place that has a bar in addition to the dining room. Then she makes dinner reservations.

Meet for drinks. After one or two drinks, she's still acting really interested in him, she says "I'm hungry, let me go see if they can get us a table in the dining room." Guy says OK.

Well, she has reservations, so of course they are able to get a table. What luck. So, at dinner she orders an appetizer, the most expensive thing on the menu, decides to "try" a few different glasses of super expensive wine, and, of course, has to have the places signature dessert.

Then after she's done eating, but shortly before the check arrives, she says "Well, thank you for a wonderful time. I enjoyed meeting you, but I have to run." Then she gets up and heads out the door so fast he doesn't have time to react. And if he does, she walks faster.

So, he's sitting there, waiting for the 300 dollar check, wondering what the hell just happened. He's got no way to contact her other than her personal ad, because they made their date over the web. And if he does message her through the ad, she just deletes it and that's that.

My friend's sister says that the women at her work all talk about it, and that some of them are real pros. One is proud of the fact that she does this to a guy at least once a week, sometimes more, and that she hasn't gotten "busted" yet, by which I assume she means a guy hasn't run after her as she's leaving and grabbed her by the arm yet.

And if one did, she could always scream and swing her purse at his face. That would probably ensure her escape.

I know this type of thing has been going on for years, but apparently now it's actually a sport for these "ladies..." Beware!

#167953 - 26/03/07 12:27 PM Re: New date scam
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Firebraun:
For you single guys:

Friend has a sister that lives in San Fran. She tells him there is a new "game" that single women there play. I would imagine it's more prevalent in major cities where there are is lot of expensive dining to be had, and a lot of single, rich men.

Goes like this: Woman takes out a personal ad on Match.com or some "personal's" site like that. Then she surfs the mens ads. Finds guy, contacts him, acts really interested, arranges to meet "for drinks" at a really expensive 5-star place that has a bar in addition to the dining room. Then she makes dinner reservations.

Meet for drinks. After one or two drinks, she's still acting really interested in him, she says "I'm hungry, let me go see if they can get us a table in the dining room." Guy says OK.

Well, she has reservations, so of course they are able to get a table. What luck. So, at dinner she orders an appetizer, the most expensive thing on the menu, decides to "try" a few different glasses of super expensive wine, and, of course, has to have the places signature dessert.

Then after she's done eating, but shortly before the check arrives, she says "Well, thank you for a wonderful time. I enjoyed meeting you, but I have to run." Then she gets up and heads out the door so fast he doesn't have time to react. And if he does, she walks faster.

So, he's sitting there, waiting for the 300 dollar check, wondering what the hell just happened. He's got no way to contact her other than her personal ad, because they made their date over the web. And if he does message her through the ad, she just deletes it and that's that.

My friend's sister says that the women at her work all talk about it, and that some of them are real pros. One is proud of the fact that she does this to a guy at least once a week, sometimes more, and that she hasn't gotten "busted" yet, by which I assume she means a guy hasn't run after her as she's leaving and grabbed her by the arm yet.

And if one did, she could always scream and swing her purse at his face. That would probably ensure her escape.

I know this type of thing has been going on for years, but apparently now it's actually a sport for these "ladies..." Beware!
I wonder what the woman will think when her "catch" actually spots her out another night and beats her down or something worse? Karma does play a role in these things.

#167954 - 26/03/07 01:16 PM Re: New date scam
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
I'm currently doing online dating at yahoo personals (don't laugh, unless you look like John Merrick or something it's by far the easiest way to get consistent action) and I'd never dream of setting up a date with a girl before actually talking to her on the phone and getting at least a cell number first. A girl wanting to meet me without talking to me first would be a major red flag and prevent a face to face.

This is the first I've heard of this scam. For the life of me I don't know why anyone would do this, other than the fact that they just aren't a complete human being, know it and need to take it out on someone else. I genuinely feel sorry for them.

Anyone else doing the online dating thing? I'd be curious to hear everyone else's experiences. Maybe we should start a separate thread on it.

#167955 - 26/03/07 01:35 PM Re: New date scam
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Its merely a formalized version of eating an expensive dinner and then not putting out....

...which, I believe started when the first Australopithecus (without a Slab O Cave Bear) made goo goo eyes at the successful hunter (With a Slab O Cave Bear) and joined him for Bear-Unch, or whatever they called it back then....

....and then split once her hairy belly was full.

laugh

And, if you think about it...why do you think guys PAY for dinner and drinks?

We're obviously hoping that once her hairy little belly is full, she'll be too slow to avoid grabbing her hair and a drag back to the lair.

It goes both ways...when THEY win, you can't whine.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#167956 - 26/03/07 02:31 PM Re: New date scam
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

....and then split once her hairy belly was full.

[Spit] That sounds like a pretty standard night out in North Dakota!

This crap doesn't surprise me at all. This doesn't apply to everyone, but both men and women use each other all the time.

#167957 - 26/03/07 03:09 PM Re: New date scam
Anonymous
Unregistered

met one like that and spent 3 months with her. the biggest investment, besides my truck, ive ever made. no more though. people always asked me why i hadnt found a woman yet and i always said they were to expensive....just goes to show, i was right.

#167958 - 26/03/07 03:16 PM Re: New date scam
Anonymous
Unregistered

So what? I bet the guy is expected to pay even if she sticks around after the check arrives. Heck it still doesn't mean he's getting anything in return, even a 2nd date...

#167959 - 26/03/07 03:34 PM Re: New date scam
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mnemonic:
So what?
That's my reaction too...

#167960 - 26/03/07 05:03 PM Re: New date scam
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I used to date in college, I followed this rule: A cup of coffee is the best first date. It allows you to get to know the person without spending a lot of money.

Of course, if you like a chick then you tell her that cooking is your hobby. You would love to cook for her at your place, if she's interested smile

#167961 - 27/03/07 01:24 AM Re: New date scam
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
This is why prostitution should be legal.. Really, what's the difference?

Even though I think he's an asshole, I still hate to see schmucks like Smith get ripped off like this.

#167962 - 27/03/07 09:06 AM Re: New date scam
babyX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor_Kevin:
Anyone else doing the online dating thing? I'd be curious to hear everyone else's experiences.
I met my husband through online dating.

I've never really understood why online dating has a negative stigma attached when it's really no different from meeting people in bars or at the supermarket. As long as the relationship isn't conducted online, it's no different.

As for the dating scam, if guys are willing to be suckered into eating at a pricey restaurant in the first place, sorry, but that's your own tough luck. If you can't afford to pay for both of you, don't accept the dinner invitation. (Same goes for the girls.) Mind you, I'm not entirely sure how this differs from the old "I'll pay for an expensive dinner expecting you to put out afterwards" scam...

#167963 - 27/03/07 09:44 AM Re: New date scam
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fried Rice Mofo:

Even though I think he's an asshole, I still hate to see schmucks like Smith get ripped off like this.
Yeah, but at least Smith knows where his mom lives, so he can head over later and have her pay up.

laugh
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#167964 - 27/03/07 12:24 PM Re: New date scam
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Fried Rice Mofo:
This is why prostitution should be legal.. Really, what's the difference?

+1. Legalize it. Tax it. Profit from it.

If you take 30% of profits and put it into education, we could see a dramatic reduction in the number of prostitutes within several decades smile

#167965 - 27/03/07 12:36 PM Re: New date scam
Anonymous
Unregistered

Newsflash - most dating is a scam one way or another. I haven't met a woman that's worth a damn in 2 years. [Freak]

Personal ads are good if you're just looking for 'action', but you're unlikely to find anyone of quality. Before the internet there were 'hook-up' phone lines. That was fine in my youth, but now I'm seeking substance.

I am talking to someone now, but it's too early to tell if it's going to work out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. [ThumbsUp]

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal