Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#563042 - 07/03/07 11:19 AM Thinking of getting a 360...
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
I've started looking at getting a new game system, I was planning on waiting till fall/winter but I doubt I'll be able to wait that long. I've been a Playstation man since day 1 but I really don't like the price tag for the PS3. $600 for a game system?? What a waste of money! If I want to get a blue ray DVD, I'll buy a blue ray DVD player..right now I'm happy with my current DVD's and DVD player. I'm leaning towards the 360 as of now, unlike the previous Xbox there seems to be a lot of good games available. So, I have a couple questions...What package/bundle shoudl I buy? I could care less about wireless controllers or blue ray DVD player. Do I really need the hard drive? I've heard you can't play old Xbox games without it. Thanks for the help in advance!

#563043 - 07/03/07 12:10 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since I got my Wii my 360 doesn't see much action. Wii might not have all the High Def bells & whistles but it's just so damn fun to play.

If you get the 360 - Go for the premium package with the HD etc. Don't skimp and get the cheap one or you'll probably regret not having the HD for saved games etc.

#563044 - 07/03/07 12:52 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
x2....

the standard package is a waste the HD package is the way to go. Get Gears of War first and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 comes out tommorow. In addition all I need to say is...

HALO 3!!!!!!

Download the commercial from Xbox Live and you will be blow away!!!!! Xbox 360 does have an HD DVD addition but like you said regular DVD's are fine and a purpose built HD DVD or Blue Ray player makes more sense. Good luck and see you on Live!!!

Tim

PS- Forgot to add that the wireless controllers kill batteries pretty fast so the battery pack with charger is a good addition. CostCo has a controller with the charger kit for the same price that Best Buy and others just sell the controller.

Thomas Jefferson

#563045 - 07/03/07 05:01 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Costco has the best bundles. Coupled with lifetime warranty, you can't beat it. My bundle came with the HD component cable, an extra wireless controller and a play and charge kit. It also came with Project Gothem Racing - there are much better bundles out there now....

I picked up the HD DVD drive the week it came out from Circuit City with their welcome to the neighborhood coupon that was floating around on the 'net - got the drive for $160. HD-DVD's are pretty incredible - I didn't think there would be that much difference, but there is. And Netflix has HD-DVD's too smile

Don't overlook the Arcade - there are lots of great games for download in there too. Cloning Clyde is just plain, silly, fun...

You can find MS Points on-line in the form of gift cards at a discount.

#563046 - 07/03/07 09:27 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
I will second gears of war. Man I am addicted to it right now. Online play is fun.

#563047 - 07/03/07 11:14 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
Anonymous
Unregistered

i'm hooked on crackdown right now. Liek others have said, don't bother with the core. Just buying the hd later alone makes up the difference. Heck a stinking memory card is $40. But with the added content you can download you'll need the hd. Like call of duty 2 came out with 7 extra maps that would ahve never fit on a memory card.

#563048 - 08/03/07 06:28 AM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Costco has the best bundles. Coupled with lifetime warranty, you can't beat it.
Sorry Doc, but Costco has recently changed their return policy... It's 90 days now instead of the "lifetime return" policy... FYI...

- Air B

#563049 - 08/03/07 06:45 AM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by airbutchie:
Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
[b]Costco has the best bundles. Coupled with lifetime warranty, you can't beat it.
Sorry Doc, but Costco has recently changed their return policy... It's 90 days now instead of the "lifetime return" policy... FYI...

- Air B[/b]
As part of the change they do warranty everything for 2 years tho, so not all bad. Just stops people buying big TVs, then returning them the next year for the newest model.

#563050 - 08/03/07 08:28 AM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
X2 on the Premium for the reasons mentioned above. Also, you don't think you care about wireless until you have it. I'm so spoiled now and never want to go back to having to deal with wires. Finally, no need to get the Xbox rechargeable kit for the controller if you have regular rechargeable batteries.

#563051 - 08/03/07 08:55 AM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
Good point on the rechargable batteries. The CostCo brand AA's only last about a week of play....tried some energizer lithiums and they fared a little better but rechargables are the way to go.

Tim

PS- G.R.A.W 2 comes out today!!!!

Thomas Jefferson

#563052 - 08/03/07 06:34 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
DocNo Offline

Quote:
I thought they were just talking about doing that.

Oh well - at least I'm grandfathered in. Stupid people abusing the system mad

#563053 - 08/03/07 08:15 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
Anonymous
Unregistered

GEARS OF WAR- great
Rainbow Six Vegas- great
Crackdown - will be buying this weekend by amazing from demo
Halo 3- is it November yet.

Also great thing about 360 is that you can stream any movie, song, picture, from any computer in the house. It's great because you can download a high-definition movie to your computer, and then play it on your 360. It's an easy way of getting high-def.

#563054 - 10/03/07 07:57 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Sorry Doc, but Costco has recently changed their return policy
Looks like it doesn't apply to video games. Here\'s the policy .

Even if they were 15% more I'd buy it from Costco just for their return policy. Extended warranty? Who needs no stinking warranty?

#563055 - 10/03/07 11:39 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
I too have been contemplating about the 360 but will wait for the all black unit with the cooler chip and quieter drive.

#563056 - 14/03/07 05:53 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by EricXE03:
It's great because you can download a high-definition movie to your computer, and then play it on your 360. It's an easy way of getting high-def.
Just curious, do you have any suggestions on converting video to wmv or whatever format you prefer for playback on the 360?

#563057 - 14/03/07 07:36 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
BigE515 Offline

Download a video converter? Total Video Converter has a lot of options.

#563058 - 14/03/07 09:48 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BigE515:
I've started looking at getting a new game system, I was planning on waiting till fall/winter but I doubt I'll be able to wait that long. I've been a Playstation man since day 1 but I really don't like the price tag for the PS3. $600 for a game system?? What a waste of money! If I want to get a blue ray DVD, I'll buy a blue ray DVD player..right now I'm happy with my current DVD's and DVD player. I'm leaning towards the 360 as of now, unlike the previous Xbox there seems to be a lot of good games available. So, I have a couple questions...What package/bundle shoudl I buy? I could care less about wireless controllers or blue ray DVD player. Do I really need the hard drive? I've heard you can't play old Xbox games without it. Thanks for the help in advance!
I'll sell ya mine:

Premium X360 with Hard drive
2 Wireless controllers
1 remote control
1 wireless adapter for internet
3 games, Need 4 speed, Fight night 3, Call of Duty 2

Make me an offer

#563059 - 15/03/07 09:36 AM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Download a video converter? Total Video Converter has a lot of options.
Cool, is that free? I'll have to check it out when I get home.

#563060 - 15/03/07 06:59 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
BigE515 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Claus:
Quote:
[b]I've started looking at getting a new game system, I was planning on waiting till fall/winter but I doubt I'll be able to wait that long. I've been a Playstation man since day 1 but I really don't like the price tag for the PS3. $600 for a game system?? What a waste of money! If I want to get a blue ray DVD, I'll buy a blue ray DVD player..right now I'm happy with my current DVD's and DVD player. I'm leaning towards the 360 as of now, unlike the previous Xbox there seems to be a lot of good games available. So, I have a couple questions...What package/bundle shoudl I buy? I could care less about wireless controllers or blue ray DVD player. Do I really need the hard drive? I've heard you can't play old Xbox games without it. Thanks for the help in advance!
I'll sell ya mine:

Premium X360 with Hard drive
2 Wireless controllers
1 remote control
1 wireless adapter for internet
3 games, Need 4 speed, Fight night 3, Call of Duty 2

Make me an offer[/b]
Thanks for the offer but, I'm holding off on buying one for a while.. With the nice weather coming I won't use it much. Plus, I think we're going to Disney in May so I'd be in hot water if I got caught spending money on video games right now.

#563061 - 15/03/07 07:03 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
BigE515 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Quote:
[b]Download a video converter? Total Video Converter has a lot of options.
Cool, is that free? I'll have to check it out when I get home.[/b]
You have a PM.

#563062 - 16/03/07 05:02 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
NismoXse02 Offline

Thanks, BigE. I'll give Total Video Converter a try. smile

#563063 - 23/03/07 01:36 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like my 360, but my xbox was able to do so much more by using a little program called XBMC "xbox media center".

It was super slick. I could play back almost any audio or video format, unlike the 360. I could watch movies in ISO format. FTP into my xbox and add or edit xml scripts that provided more functionality, such as get pay per view channels for free.

XBMC

If you have an xbox you should give this app a try. Its media handling capabilities blows the 360 out of the water. The 360 does have some killer games, though.

#563064 - 31/03/07 12:49 PM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by switch540:
I like my 360, but my xbox was able to do so much more by using a little program called XBMC "xbox media center".

It was super slick. I could play back almost any audio or video format, unlike the 360. I could watch movies in ISO format. FTP into my xbox and add or edit xml scripts that provided more functionality, such as get pay per view channels for free.

XBMC

If you have an xbox you should give this app a try. Its media handling capabilities blows the 360 out of the water. The 360 does have some killer games, though.
Have you, or anyone else here, tried TVersity?

http://www.tversity.com

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=2586

Supposedly, it allows you to play any format on the 360 without needing to convert it. I was wondering if anyone had experience with it before I try it. Otherwise, I guess I will be the guinea pig. BigE's suggestion for Total Video Converter works great, but it takes a long time to convert to WMV.

#563065 - 01/04/07 06:59 AM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nerver tried it, but it looks interesting. I will have to set up a virtual machine and then run it. I refuse to install WMP 11 on my host PC.

#563066 - 02/04/07 07:34 AM Re: Thinking of getting a 360...
NismoXse02 Offline

Well, I installed it, but don't know how to use it yet. Guess I'll need some time to mess with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal