Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#559870 - 11/08/07 06:12 PM Home network security cameras
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Does anyone have any kind of home security cameras that they use for when they go out of town? Basically, I'm looking for something that we can check in on our house and dogs from our future (see other thread) laptop while we're away. So far, I've come across a lot of products from D-Link that seem to be what we're looking for:

http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=60&sec=0

I thought I'd see what the XOC peeps have to say about this, before we do anything. smile

#559871 - 12/08/07 09:13 AM Re: Home network security cameras
Anonymous
Unregistered

Been thinking about doing something similar myself.

Also looked at one of these from costco , but doesn't look like it can be networked.

Let me know how it works out and what you end up with if you do it.

#559872 - 12/08/07 09:23 AM Re: Home network security cameras
Anonymous
Unregistered

A few years ago this is what I used to do for Macy's in the NYC/Metro area. Basically if you want a cheap way out I can somewhat explain what you'll need although technology has changed in the passed few yrs. You can get as many "chip" or "covert" cameras as you need. Theyre about 20.00 each for B/W cameras but they are VERY clear. Place them anywhere you'd like as long as you have some ingenuity and they can be linked to what used to be called a V-Link which goes into your comp. You can label them camera 1, camera 2, etc. OR you can do a similar setup using wireless chip cams which will obviously look clean. Do go into this project thinking it's going to be expensive because it's not. The hard part is getting the network to pick up the signal from all of the cameras. Hope that helps a little atleast.

#559873 - 12/08/07 05:06 PM Re: Home network security cameras
NismoXse02 Offline

I'm now thinking of going with Panasonic. Here's two models that have great reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Remote-M...86960029&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BL-C131A...86960029&sr=8-2

Ebeauchea, thanks for your feeback. Also, you said that it won't end up being expensive. What do you mean by that... what's a good price in your opinion?

#559874 - 16/08/07 08:42 AM Re: Home network security cameras
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Let me know how it works out and what you end up with if you do it.
We went with the Panasonic:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BL-C131A...86960029&sr=8-2

I should get it next week so I'll let you know how it goes.

#559875 - 16/08/07 08:59 AM Re: Home network security cameras
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I setup my system I want 4 cameras. 1 Front & Back door, one covering my external garage and one covering the entire back of the house. So they will all be outdoor cameras.

#559876 - 16/08/07 09:19 AM Re: Home network security cameras
NismoXse02 Offline

I see, that sounds different. I would definitely look into the one you posted... unless you want to view it from the net. Maybe they have that model available with network compatibility. Or maybe there's a newer model out that has it.

#559877 - 16/08/07 12:10 PM Re: Home network security cameras
Happy Birthday Claus Offline

Bought a wireless Linksys camera as a Nanny Cam. BUT since I switched to MAC I have not been able to use it. Then I fell over an awesome program that basically turns your Isight cam into a spycam, since I have my IMAC placed so it covers 80% of my downstairs (open concept) it works like a charm. I ma able to log into a web browser and see what is going on at home without anyone knowing. It also has a motion triggered activation which sends you an email when anything goes off. all for $25.

I still have the Linksys which is collecting dust.

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal