Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134225 - 21/02/08 06:09 AM Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Who is Paying their House with this Program ?....Just got a new House, and the Lender has this "Equity Acceleration Program" where you have a choice to Pay Weekly, Bi-Weekly or Monthly...Thinking about Paying Bi-Weekly !!!

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#134226 - 21/02/08 06:14 AM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Rickster43:
Who is Paying their House with this Program ?....Just got a new House, and the Lender has this "Equity Acceleration Program" where you have a choice to Pay Weekly, Bi-Weekly Monthly...Thinking about Paying Bi-Weekly !!!
I think its a good idea if you're looking to own your home outright. Another thing I'd consider though is making 1 extra payment a year if you're into "equity acceleration."

#134227 - 21/02/08 06:20 AM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
I haven't looked at this in detail but supposedly it saves you a LOT of interest.

#134228 - 21/02/08 06:38 AM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Read this...
http://www.mtgprofessor.com/A%20-%20Biweekly%20Mortgages/Biweekly%20versus%20payment%20increase.htm

You'd actually be better off simply paying 1/12 of a payment extra each month.

Overall these acceleration programs are good. They will increase your equity, and save you a significant chunk of money. Prepaying yourself is better, you avoid any enrollment fees or monthly fees they might come with, as well as paying down your principle faster. You will save a few thousand dollars doing it yourself over the course of the loan.

#134229 - 21/02/08 06:44 AM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Coop:
Read this...
http://www.mtgprofessor.com/A%20-%20Biweekly%20Mortgages/Biweekly%20versus% 20payment%20increase.htm

Overall these acceleration programs are good. They will increase your equity, and save you a significant chunk of money. Prepaying yourself is better, you avoid any enrollment fees or monthly fees they might come with, as well as paying down your principle faster. You will save a few thousand dollars doing it yourself over the course of the loan.
But that only gives you 1 full payment every year. I think if you go with the bi-weekly deal, you pay 2 extra payments per year.

I think it makes sense if you get paid every 2 weeks. My mortgage is so small tho that I pay double payments every month, so I'll have my 30 year mortgage taken out last year paid off in another 8 years or so.

#134230 - 21/02/08 07:56 AM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
But that only gives you 1 full payment every year. I think if you go with the bi-weekly deal, you pay 2 extra payments per year.[/QB]
You do make two extra payments per year, but you only make one extra full payment per year. When you pay bi-weekly, you are actually paying 1/2 of a monthly payment every two weeks. So if your mortgage is $1000 per month, you pay $500 every two weeks. But how the calendar works out, you will have two months out of every year where three payments (of $500) will fall in the same month. So 2 x $500 = $1000 or one full monthly payment.

Regardless, its a good deal to do, especially if you are not disciplined enough to tuck extra money back every month to apply toward the principal. I think the program shaves off about 7 years from a 30-year mortgage.

#134231 - 21/02/08 08:49 AM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Quote:
Originally posted by Coop:
[b]Read this...
http://www.mtgprofessor.com/A%20-%20Biwe...%20increase.htm

But that only gives you 1 full payment every year. I think if you go with the bi-weekly deal, you pay 2 extra payments per year.

I think it makes sense if you get paid every 2 weeks. My mortgage is so small tho that I pay double payments every month, so I'll have my 30 year mortgage taken out last year paid off in another 8 years or so.[/b]
It's the same amount extra every year... I think the difference is with the equity accelerator the extra payment isn't applied until the end of the year. If you do it yourself, the extra 1/12 payment is immediately applied to the principle.

In the example from the web site I linked, it works out to a difference of about 3 payments.

#134232 - 21/02/08 08:53 AM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
I thought of this also, but figure it's better to put this extra money into a 401k.

The reason is this, my mortgage is at 5%, while my 401k averages 12-20% a year.

Meaning, that I will make more money on the 401k over time than save on interest on the mortgage, by far too.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#134233 - 21/02/08 08:56 AM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
MidnightX Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
I do it, only because they deduct it automatically biweekly and it keeps me on time every month. smile

#134234 - 21/02/08 10:45 AM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
I thought of this also, but figure it's better to put this extra money into a 401k.

The reason is this, my mortgage is at 5%, while my 401k averages 12-20% a year.

Meaning, that I will make more money on the 401k over time than save on interest on the mortgage, by far too.
Not true really - because your monthly mortgage payment is like 95% interest and only 5% principle. With most mortgages anyway. So the sooner you pay down more principle - the more you save on interest.

#134235 - 21/02/08 11:39 AM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
great pyr-hauler Offline

Loc: Illinois
Mortgage interest is also tax deductable. I also prefer to keep my money and use it for investing but I can see both sides.

As long as everyone pays their damn bills, it's all good by me.

#134236 - 21/02/08 06:54 PM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
We generally double up on the principal portion of our mortgage every month.

cool

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#134237 - 22/02/08 05:12 AM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Quote:
Not true really - because your monthly mortgage payment is like 95% interest and only 5% principle. With most mortgages anyway. So the sooner you pay down more principle - the more you save on interest.
Think of this way. Lets say I a 5% mortage,and a 20% return on my 401k and for arguments sake it's compounded yearly.

If I use $1000 towards my 401k, in one year, this $1000 is now $1200. While the $1000 I still own on my mortage is now $1050. So, that $50 is tax deductable, vs the $200 net from the 401k which isnt'. So, if I remove a 1/3rd,

401k nets me $133
Mortage saves me $50.

Logically I'd put it towards my 401k. And remember that 401k will keep on netting me money until way after the house is paid off.

That being said, If you have extra cash it's best to put it towards other loans first, since they have a higher APR. And as you mentioned, the interest is tax deductible on your mortgage.

It is rarely smarter to put pay off a mortgage faster if you have other debt. And if you don't have other debt, it's sometimes more logical to invest that.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#134238 - 22/02/08 07:43 AM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
Anonymous
Unregistered

My 401K is already maxed out each year. :rolleyes:

I toss in an extra $460 a month into my mortage to pay it off at a 15 year rate rather than a 30 year one. That's going to save me about $100,000 in loan fees but more important for me - it's going to feel good owning (well sort of) my house outright. I've been in my home for 6 years and have paid the debt down 50%.

Most people don't have the disipline to maintain a 401K until they reach a certain larger income. The marginal propensity to save IIRC. If you can scratch together an extra $50-$100 pay off those stupid live energy sucking credit cards!

#134239 - 22/02/08 08:03 AM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
Anonymous
Unregistered

Only started my 401k last year at age 32. Probably left it a little late really - employer match 50%. I now look back on all the $ I have lost out on. Maxing mine to the limit my employer will match now and still putting in the double house payments. So in 6 or 7 years I should be sitting quite nicely - before I'm 40.

#134240 - 22/02/08 11:12 AM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Only started my 401k last year at age 32. Probably left it a little late really - employer match 50%. I now look back on all the $ I have lost out on.
See if your program has a "catch up" provision. It can let you contribute more then the IRS max of $15K a year....

#134241 - 22/02/08 02:47 PM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Quote:
[b]Only started my 401k last year at age 32. Probably left it a little late really - employer match 50%. I now look back on all the $ I have lost out on.
See if your program has a "catch up" provision. It can let you contribute more then the IRS max of $15K a year....[/b]
I think you have to be age 50 or older for that.

#134242 - 25/02/08 06:26 PM Re: Bi-Weekly House Payment Program
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
Quote:
Originally posted by RedX:
We generally double up on the principal portion of our mortgage every month.

cool
I had no idea being a rodeo clown paid so well!

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal