Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#495140 - 06/03/10 02:41 PM Pay It Forward...Video Card
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Hey the video card in my kids computer crapped out and I am looking to see if anyone has one in an old computer, a box, workbench...that you wouldn't mind Paying it Forward with. I am looking for an AGP slot Computer Video Card with 128mb or more...let me know what you might have.

Thanks in advance!!
EOE...Opening Soon!

#495164 - 08/03/10 06:22 AM Re: Pay It Forward...Video Card [Re: FSRBIKER]
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
Hey Todd, you may have an easier time finding a used PCI video card than a AGP card. AGP cards also come in different flavors, not all AGP equipped computers will support all flavors of AGP.

Are there any computer repair shops near you? A decent one will probably have a box of used video cards that they'll sell cheap.

If no one can help you out, check this one out at Newegg.com: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143032 It's $20 + shipping. It's out of stock right now, but has an ETA of 3/9, so they should have them within a couple days.

I have some used PCI Express cards, but no PCI or AGP.

-Michael

#495167 - 08/03/10 10:56 AM Re: Pay It Forward...Video Card [Re: swampwrecker]
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Thanks for the info Mike, good to hear from you. How can i tell if I can use a PCI express card? This computer is basically a business lease computer that was refurbished that my father in-law bought for the kids, it didn't have a video card so i scavenged the AGP card from an old Dell I had until it recently crapped out.

If I don't have PCI express would you recommend a PCI over an AGP style card?
EOE...Opening Soon!

#495174 - 08/03/10 08:44 PM Re: Pay It Forward...Video Card [Re: FSRBIKER]
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
Hey Todd. It is good to see you are still around. I hope all is well with you, Nicole and the boys.

If the computer has AGP, it does not have PCI Express. PCI Express came out after AGP. I've never come across a computer that has both PCI Express and AGP.

I would recommend a PCI card over AGP because if the computer has AGP 1x or 2x and the AGP card you get is an AGP 8x card, it won't work in the computer. unless the AGP card is new in the box, you probably won't be able to tell which version AGP card it is by looking at the card.

-Michael

#495243 - 11/03/10 03:02 PM Re: Pay It Forward...Video Card [Re: swampwrecker]
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I have an old ATI Radeon 9200 128 meg AGP card collecting dust. I'm pretty sure it's this one, look at the "customer provided" image and you'll see what an AGP card's pin setup looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Technologies-Radeon-128MB-Graphics/dp/B00009KTMA

I don't know if it's 4x or 8x or compatible or... both? That knowledge left my brain a long time ago. PM me if you want it, it's not doing any good on my shelf so might as well give it to someone.

Edited by PDXterra (11/03/10 03:02 PM)

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal