Occurs to me that whenever I call a customer service number for tech support, whether it be setting up an online bill-pay, or a tech issue with my ISP, or whatever, if the person who took the call can't fix the problem, or set up what I'm trying to set up, or whatever, the same thing happens...

They say "What is your name and number? I'll refer your problem to our people who can help you and they will give you a call." So I spend 30 seconds reciting it and supposing that he's actually writing it down or typing it into a form, then I happily thank him for his help and wait for the call back.

And, in like 15 years, I have NEVER actually gotten a call back. I invariably have to call the outfit back again in the next few days and try again.

Is that a game the call-takers play? I imagine it goes like this:

"I can't help this guy, so I'll ask him for his name and number because it doesn't put me out to sit here while he recites it, even though I'm not listening. Then I'll get rid of him quickly and quietly by promising him a call back, even though nobody ever will. Then I'll move on to the next call, who I may actually be able to help."

If you do the whole call-taking-tech-support thing, give it up! Am I right?