2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180971 - 11/04/02 05:25 PM An Inexpensive buffer or just elbow grease?
PISurf1 Offline

Loc: Watertown, Massachusetts
So after taking the X out with the NEXTerra group, which was awesome, I have some minor scratches.
I know, I know, that's what the X is built for! :rolleyes:
But as it is brand new, I would like to keep it looking that way until I can make some modifications and really take it off road. Which won't be for awhile, other than beach driving.

Okay, enough with the babbling! [Huh?]

Should I look for an inexpensive buffer or use some good old fashion elbow grease?

What type of products do folks use to get surface scratches out? Wax?

Thanks in advance!

Don
King of Striper Fishing

#180972 - 11/04/02 05:38 PM Re: An Inexpensive buffer or just elbow grease?
Viper X Offline

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
you have to be pretty good when using a buffer, or you can do more damage than before you started.

Meguiars scratch-x works well, and follow that up with your choice of wax, the board will "persuade" you to go with the meguairs 3 step process, which works well, if ya got all day to do it.

#180973 - 11/04/02 06:12 PM Re: An Inexpensive buffer or just elbow grease?
Miikkaa Offline

Loc: Central New Jersey, United Sta...
Hei Don,

I agree with Viper X about the buffer. When I do use it it's only with wax and a $30 random orbital cheapo. I NEVER buff with a cleaner or compound. This combination in the wrong hands can easily take down the clear/paint esp. on edges. Sorry in advance about the long post. As for waxes/systems on my Z cars I used Mother's polish and paste carnauba wax. It worked great but the wax was a nightmare to buff out. On my X I use Meguiar's 3 Step. The initial application takes some time (like Viper X said) because you have 3 steps but you only need to repeat the initial 2 steps to freshen the paint up which for me is like two, three times a year. Any good detailer knows you do this regardless of what wax you use, Meguiar's 3 Step or not. BTW I wax no less than once a month (weather permitting) and wash and apply 3 coats of wax before off-roading to lessen the 'backwoods pinstriping'. When I do get scratches (in the clear) I rub them out with Step 1 and put on a fresh coat of wax. Sorry again about the lenghthy post but I get anal on certain issues. Hope this helps!!

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#180974 - 12/04/02 10:54 AM Re: An Inexpensive buffer or just elbow grease?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
While tedious, I prefer the tried-and-true hand application method. Simple strokes from front to back, never in a circle.

Mother's (or was it Meguiar's?) three-step products produce wonderful results.

Next time you go out, apply a quick coat of wax and it'll reduce the likelihood of new scratches, and make removal of same much easier.

#180975 - 13/04/02 10:04 AM Re: An Inexpensive buffer or just elbow grease?
Ruttiger Offline

Loc: NJ
I just finished the Meguiars three step myself. It had been a long time since I had handwashed the truck and it was due for some care. It works SO well. I still haven't been able to find the scratch-x in my local stores though.

No more pinstripes - for now anyway wink

#180976 - 13/04/02 02:03 PM Re: An Inexpensive buffer or just elbow grease?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Ruttiger -
If you can't find the products you need in local stores, check the web sites.
For Meguiars:
http://www.meguiars.com

I've used their catalog service with good results.
Other "wax" vendors have helpfull web sites also.

dave and xtoy - shine under the dirt smile

#180977 - 13/04/02 07:23 PM Re: An Inexpensive buffer or just elbow grease?
frontier man Offline

Loc: somewhere
I used scratch x and think it took the clear off , it looks dull where i used it and scratch the crap out of my black paint.

#180978 - 14/04/02 09:58 AM Re: An Inexpensive buffer or just elbow grease?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Frontier Man - no kiddin? Wow, that's not cool.

I've never used Scratch X... I try to avoid using anything harsher than say a "polish" on the truck, even if I have some off-roading souvenirs. In time, the normal cleaner/polish/wax cycle of the three-step program will remove the scratches just the same. It just takes longer, due in fact that the product(s) aren't as abrasive, IMO.

You should be able to bring back the shine with the three-step I would think.

#180979 - 14/04/02 04:26 PM Re: An Inexpensive buffer or just elbow grease?
PISurf1 Offline

Thanks all for the reply's!!!! Well since it was 70 degrees and sunny today, I decided to head to the autoparts store and pick up the Meguiars 3 step.
I handwashed the X for the first time and then spent about 2 hours and applied the Meguiars.

WOW!!! laugh It looks great!! The small scratches are virtually non-existant. You can still see them from about a foot away, but otherwise you can't at all. I will get the hang of this next time around.

Next question. Anybody use any of the tire shine type stuff. I have always tried to stay away from it. But wondering since the paint, glass and wheels look great, why not the tires. I hate the shiny/greasy look. Is there anything out there that just makes the tires come back to black?

Thanks again,

Don
King of Striper Fishing

#180980 - 15/04/02 08:37 AM Re: An Inexpensive buffer or just elbow grease?
BoarderPhreak Offline

With use, the three-step just gets better and better, removing swirls and little scratches. Some quick tips:

1) Never apply product to the paint unless you've first washed the truck. If you don't, you'll risk rubbing grit and dirt into the finish/wax and just add scratches.
2) Apply front-to-back, not in a circular motion to prevent "swirls."
3) Use only freshly washed (w/o fab. soft.) cotton terry towels and change frequently to remove the product. Don't forget to rip off the label - it can "swirl" your wax job.
4) Don't apply to hot panels or in the sun, despite any instructions to the contrary. It's just a good idea.

You can "start fresh" if you're changing brands or want to make a clean start by washing the truck with dishwashing liquid. This will remove the wax and any scratches IT may have.

As for tire shine chemicals, I swear by "Endurance" gel by Meguiars (or is it Mothers? Damn!). You apply it in a thin coat with the supplied applicator. More coats = more shine. It comes in two varieties - "natural" and "shiny" - depending on the gloss factor you're after. I prefer the "natural" look.

The best part of this stuff is that it just lasts and lasts... Unlike spray-on soup, it doesn't come off in the rain. It smells like grape bubble gum, and comes with it's own applicator. All around great stuff.

Toss that Armor All in the trash!

P.S. Don't forget "Back to Black" for all the plastic trim! I promise, when you're done with all this, your X will look like NEW!

#180981 - 15/04/02 09:47 AM Re: An Inexpensive buffer or just elbow grease?
PISurf1 Offline

Boarder,
Thanks for the advice. I will check out the Endurance gel and the Back to Black on the next nice day. I have to try and do this stuff late afternoon, as the sun is right on the driveway until then.
In terms of the 3 step wax process. It sounds like I followed exactly the way you wrote it.

Thanks again,

Don
King of Striper Fishing

#180982 - 15/04/02 10:42 AM Re: An Inexpensive buffer or just elbow grease?
BoarderPhreak Offline

No problem at all... smile

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal