2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175693 - 28/05/02 05:42 AM now i messed it up!
Mebike Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl.
confused I was cleaning the dash and instrument panel with armorall and some of the armorall got on the speedometer and so I used some amorall app purpose cleaner to get it off. Well not IM not sure if a chemical reaction happened or is this cloudy film is on the inside of the clear plastic has and body seen this happen? And how do you take it apart to get to the inside to check if it is on the inside of the plastic.

#175694 - 28/05/02 06:22 AM Re: now i messed it up!
ATFrontier Offline

Loc: Loganville,Georgia
You've permanently etched the plastic bezel on the instrument cluster. Replace it or live with it.

#175695 - 28/05/02 07:31 AM Re: now i messed it up!
xterrapin Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Part number: 24813-9Z000
List price: $6.35

Easy to replace, should take ya' less than a half hour.

#175696 - 28/05/02 09:30 AM Re: now i messed it up!
trwinship Offline

Loc: Gahanna, OH, USA
I've done this with ArmorAll as well--in my case, leaving the truck out in the heat seemed to enhance the etching. Replacing the plastic is probably the most efficient way to go, but you could also clean off the etching with a very fine plexiglas scratch repair paste, available at hardware stores or catalogs like Sporty's.

#175697 - 28/05/02 10:18 AM Re: now i messed it up!
Xrugger Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by trwinship:
I've done this with ArmorAll as well--in my case, leaving the truck out in the heat seemed to enhance the etching. Replacing the plastic is probably the most efficient way to go, but you could also clean off the etching with a very fine plexiglas scratch repair paste, available at hardware stores or catalogs like Sporty's.
Get a fine grit wet sanding kit. They usually contain 2000, 4000, 8000, 12000 grit sanding pads. Work though each grit, removing the scratched from the previous grit. Then after you et to the finest grit pad. Use a polish (regular Crest toothpaste works ok) to polish out the last swirls. Lastly dip it in future floor wax and let dry. Should look good as new.

YOu can find the sanding pads and the polish at MicroMark .
MICRO-MESH FINISHING KIT

#175698 - 28/05/02 12:08 PM Re: now i messed it up!
trwinship Offline

Loc: Gahanna, OH, USA
Yep, that's exactly what I used.

#175699 - 28/05/02 12:19 PM Re: now i messed it up!
Mebike Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl.
polishing sounds like to much like work im leaning forrepace ment for 6 or so bucks or i havent taken it apart yet i wonder if its just some in the inside of the plexiglas

#175700 - 28/05/02 12:27 PM Re: now i messed it up!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
I try never to even touch that clear plastic... I use a vacuum or a brush, or if I have to, give it one or two quick wipes with a damp rag. It's so freakin' soft, it shows swirls and stripes if you use anything rough.

It would be cool to have some sort of "anti-glare" texture, but not the matte kind - still polished, just roughened. Would hide any blemishes, and still be cleanable.

#175701 - 28/05/02 04:35 PM Re: now i messed it up!
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
I try never to even touch that clear plastic... I use a vacuum or a brush, or if I have to, give it one or two quick wipes with a damp rag. It's so freakin' soft, it shows swirls and stripes if you use anything rough.

It would be cool to have some sort of "anti-glare" texture, but not the matte kind - still polished, just roughened. Would hide any blemishes, and still be cleanable.
You can buy de-glossing spray. Used in video production. Don't know the cost offhand...maybe $5-10 per bottle. No more shine.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal