2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178185 - 29/05/02 02:52 PM Glass Rain X or Wax?
mickey25 Offline

Loc: Miami Lakes
OK, it might sound like a silly question but I am now confused. I usually use Rain X for the glass yes it is a pain to take off and make it look right but once done it sure works good.
The other day washing the X I was about to start using the Rain X and my buddy said "Stop, don't use that, just use car wax". I was not sure he knew what he was talking about. But he went on saying that he has used car wax on the glass for years and it works just as well as Rain X and is easier to use. I did not use wax but it stayed on my mind. Is he right or full of it, he car looked OK.

On a second note what else can be used instead of Rain X that will do the same job?

Thanks

#178186 - 29/05/02 03:08 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
Staubers Offline

Loc: Summerville SC
I have waxed my windows for years. It does work just as well as Rain X, Also cleans the window very well of water spots, etc. I vote for wax.

#178187 - 29/05/02 03:09 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
I use Rain-X, and have never tried using car wax on the windshield. However, your friend may not be too far off base. I recall that many years ago there used to be a product called glass-wax. It was not an automotive only product, but was a general glass cleaning and treatment product. Never tried it, just stuck to Windex for cleaning back then.

#178188 - 29/05/02 04:21 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
Viper X Offline

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
Don't know about the wax, but I've been using rain-x since the day I bought my X. After applying the rain-x, usually a couple times and maybe using the castrol accuvision, I wash the truck or atleast the windows, and that takes off any haze or streaks left behind.

#178189 - 29/05/02 05:21 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
Firebraun Offline

Loc: Reno, Nevada
rain-x on for windshield good work for me. use many year and problem none. it not a pain to take off. Why would you want to take off??? Just put more on when need some.

on a second note no wax use on windshield before.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#178190 - 29/05/02 06:08 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
I've had mixed results with Rain-X myself, finally coming to the conclusion that it's just not worth the hassle... I'd rather just maintain my windshield (clean it with Brillo/3M Scotchbrite) and wipers (wipe deposits and oxidation off with well soaked Windex paper towel). That's all you'll need.

I'm curious about the wax though - since I do have water spots, and the spot remover is a bear. It would be nice to remove them, as well as prevent them in the future... Which the spot remover does NOT do.

#178191 - 29/05/02 06:18 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
Krieves Offline

Loc: Indiana
I tried Rain X a few years ago and, as long as you keep applying it, it does a good job. But you have to keep it up. If not, it looks worse than if you never started using it. I never tried waxing windows, but I imagine it would work the same way. IMHO, it's just not worth the effort.

I guess I'm just lazy. smile
Safari Basket

#178192 - 29/05/02 06:21 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
xxxtera Offline

Loc: tidewater va.
have to give a thumbs up to wax. have used both and seems like you gotta rub forever to get the rain-x haze to come off. both work but wax is easier and it does remove any dirt, bugs, grime etc. and shines good too

#178193 - 29/05/02 07:42 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
Miikkaa Offline

Loc: Central New Jersey, United Sta...
Quote:
Originally posted by k_enn:
I recall that many years ago there used to be a product called glass-wax. It was not an automotive only product, but was a general glass cleaning and treatment product.
k_enn,

Did it look like this?

I might try it although it's freakin' old!! I have used Rain-X but have mixed feelings. It performs as stated but it's a pain to buff the streaking using a damp cloth.

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#178194 - 29/05/02 10:46 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
Viper X Offline

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
I guess we don't have the chemicals that the some areas due, but even after a horrible Seattle winter, my windshield still beads like the day I put the rain-x on. And with the exception of dumping a bottle of the addative into the windshield washer tank, I haven't reapplied since October. I'll probally add another coat one of these days just for shits and giggles.

And the rain-x still does a great job on the side windows, but not on the mirror or blind spot mirrors. I might try the car wax on those.

#178195 - 30/05/02 12:20 AM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
Lifeboat Offline

Loc: Orygun
I stopped trying to wipe off the haze from RainX, now I just hit it with the hose, seems to clear it right up.

#178196 - 30/05/02 04:17 AM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
trwinship Offline

Loc: Gahanna, OH, USA
I'm not sure how waxes have changed over the years, maybe "slicker" than before, but used to be that we only put body wax on the windshield as an emergency measure when the wipers weren't working. This was because the wax created more drag on the wipers and would wear out the plastic gears in the drive system. I saw this happen several times (in the early 80's); once to me!

#178197 - 30/05/02 07:16 AM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
I tried rain-x and was not impressed. I found that clean glass and good wipers are all I need.

dave and xtoy - leave well enuf alone

#178198 - 30/05/02 07:52 AM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Miikkaa:
Quote:
Originally posted by k_enn:
[b]I recall that many years ago there used to be a product called glass-wax. It was not an automotive only product, but was a general glass cleaning and treatment product.
k_enn,

Did it look like this?

I might try it although it's freakin' old!! I have used Rain-X but have mixed feelings. It performs as stated but it's a pain to buff the streaking using a damp cloth.[/b]
Yep, that looks the stuff. Like I said, it was many years ago (before Rain-X existed). It had a good reputation, but I would be concerned about using an old can of that stuff now as it may have deteriorated or separated over the years. I don't know first hand how much elbow grease it took, but it was supposed to be like buffing a paste wax.

#178199 - 02/06/02 12:43 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
Omahabus Offline

Loc: Omaha, NE
I personally don't care for Rain-X much. The product works, but I have found that a good synthetic wax lasts longer. Plus, Rain-X has a tendancy to leave a hazy smear (which looks nasty in direct sunlight). However, natural waxes that contain carnauba wax, bees wax, or silicones will leave undesired effects as well. For those of you who use Meguiar's, Professional #20, #6, #7 and Speed Glaze work best on windows.

#178200 - 02/06/02 03:56 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
buck Offline

Loc: Shohola,PA. 18458
I regularly use the local car wash ( just the wand, not the drive thru) and the guy who works there gave me this tip: after soaping the vehicle instead of rinsing with water, wash the soap off with the hot wax. It works! The soap comes right off and the hot wax stays on the vehicle as well as the windows. I do this whenever I don't have the time to wash the Xterra at home, and haven't had a problem with it yet.

#178201 - 02/06/02 05:41 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
seamonkey Offline

Loc: Boerne, TX
I switched from Rain-X to Castrol accuvision.

Offroad Pics

#178202 - 02/06/02 07:16 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by seamonkey:
...Castrol accuvision.
Somehow I just can't associate "Castrol" and "keeping your windows clean."

I think OIL. laugh

#178203 - 03/06/02 06:26 AM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
chewy_26 Offline

Loc: Georgia
I have used Rain X on the sides and the back glass but stopped using it on the front cause it started making the wipers "chatter" every time I used them. I have waxed them to and it did about the same thing. I couldn't really tell a difference between the two.

#178204 - 03/06/02 06:26 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
Firebraun Offline

Loc: Reno, Nevada
I think you guys who claim that you can't get Rain-X streaks off and/or that Rain-X makes your wipers "chatter" are not applying it right.

Squeeze about a tablespoon of Rain-X onto a clean washcloth and put it on a COOL windshield in a circular motion (like your applying wax to the car.) You might have to use a couple of tablespoons to cover the whole windshield. Wait 5 minutes and allow it to dry to a haze.

Then, take a squirt bottle filled with clean, clear water and spray the hell out of the windshield. Use a second clean washcloth to wipe it off. Keep doing this until there's no more haze. If you have to do it more than two times you've probably put your Rain-X on too warm of a windshield.

To keep your wipers from chattering try keeping the actual rubber blade clean. Actually clean it with glass cleaner and a rag. You'd be amazed how much funky crud comes off a wiper blade!

Anyway, hope that helps. I've been Rain-X'ing for years and never had any of the problems you all seem to be having.

laugh laugh laugh

#178205 - 04/06/02 05:31 AM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by Omahabus:
I personally don't care for Rain-X much.
Ditto. It doesn't last very long and it always ends up leaving a nasty haze/film on the areas near the top corners of the windshield where the wipers don't get. It's usually more of a pain than it's worth. I rarely use it anymore.

I wax my windows every once in a while, but usually I just keep can of Invisible Glass handy which keeps the windows looking spotless. Much easier than messing with rain-x every copuple of days.

#178206 - 04/06/02 07:14 AM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
Toy4x4Guy Offline

Loc: TN
I think most of you guys are missing the point of Rain X. From your posts you seem to be saying it is a window cleaner [Freak] . It's actually only meant to make water sheer off the windows. I used it for the first time about 2 weeks ago and it works great. I used a damp cloth to remove the haze and had no problems. My wipers do not chatter either. The Rain X I used was in an aerosol can. I sprayed it on a dry cloth and applied it to my CLEAN windows.

I may try the Castrol stuff as it's advertised to be easier to apply.

#178207 - 04/06/02 10:07 AM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
mickey25 Offline

Loc: Miami Lakes
Thanks for the replies. I actually used the wax (NuFinish) on my wifes Jetta. It works good, just like the Rain X, but much much much easier to use. So far so good. It's only been a couple of days and no rain yet.

As far as the process of the Rain X. I have tried everything and it is still a pain to remove. Even the spray, damp rag, another coat, etc.

#178208 - 09/06/02 04:55 PM Re: Glass Rain X or Wax?
OrganDonor Offline

Loc: Round Rock, TX
I used Nu-Finish on my windshield today instead of Rain-X. MUCH easier to apply and remove, and what bugs hit the 'shield this afternoon hardly stuck at all. Still waiting for the rain, but was much happier with how the wax was to apply.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal