Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173849 - 15/04/03 08:29 AM Ding King reviews?
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
Hey gang,

Over the weekend, I was loading up a kayak on the roof when it tumbled over the other side and left a nice 3.5 inch vertical 'ding' on the X right above the back wheel. It could have been much worse and I could have lost a mirror or even the kayak itself.

I'm wondering if anyone has had success with the line of ding removal kits that has come available of late.

I'll also need to throw some coverup paint over a couple of scratches that have happened over the last year, but that's another thread!

Any experiences/thoughts are appreciated!

#173850 - 15/04/03 09:22 AM Re: Ding King reviews?
Jefe Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
I was thinking of getting one myself. This review has pretty much made up my mind.

http://www.tvgadgetjudge.com/Ding%20King.htm

The Force? Duct Tape is the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it holds the whole damn universe together!

#173851 - 15/04/03 09:25 AM Re: Ding King reviews?
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
Those ding kings are a POS from what I've seen....don't waste your money. Try a paintless dent removal person in your area. They usually run between 50-75 bucks per dent and do a much better job.

#173852 - 15/04/03 11:19 AM Re: Ding King reviews?
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
So I've got one for and one against.....

Anyone else with a experience??

Thanks a million!

#173853 - 15/04/03 11:44 AM Re: Ding King reviews?
AceMcCloudKat Offline

Loc: Walla Walla, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by krisjon:
Those ding kings are a POS from what I've seen....don't waste your money. Try a paintless dent removal person in your area. They usually run between 50-75 bucks per dent and do a much better job.
Shit, I wish.... last time I had a 4 inch long by 2 inch wide dent pulled out of my Explorer it cost me $300, and that was the best quote I could find.

#173854 - 15/04/03 02:55 PM Re: Ding King reviews?
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor_Kevin:
So I've got one for and one against.....

Anyone else with a experience??

Thanks a million!
My local news ran a consumer reports on the Dent King. Results were it was a POS. Don't waste your money on it. It did not work.

Stone

#173855 - 15/04/03 03:04 PM Re: Ding King reviews?
aquamander Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Ga.
I have a ding king... I've pulled a couple small dents out including a nice dent I put on the top edge of one of my doors.

It's okay to use if you are patient. I think $30.00 is cheap. It doesn't look as pretty as it would if I put it in the shop, but you really have to look hard to find the dent. It may take several pulls to get it right, and it does take a little skill. So I can see how many people probably wouldn't want to F with it.

#173856 - 15/04/03 04:01 PM Re: Ding King reviews?
Jefe Offline

I was considering getting the deluxe kit from the web site, which has a "hammer" that basically attaches to the glued down part, in case that crappy little bridge doesn't work.

The Force? Duct Tape is the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it holds the whole damn universe together!

#173857 - 15/04/03 04:06 PM Re: Ding King reviews?
Biohazard Offline

Loc: Rogers AR
I have the ding king kit that came with the slide hammer. I don't think it's crap, but it isn't going to pull out every dent perfect. My hatch had 1 small ding in the bulge, 1 medium ding, and a decent sized dent. I pulled the small ding out to an unnoticable state, I've started working on the medium ding but probably won't get far due to it being very close to the window, and I pulled the dent out and turned it into a ding.

I'm not done working on these yet but I will post some before/after pics up, possibly tonight if I get around to finishing them.

A lot of variables come into play on dents/dings so it might work out for you and it might not. It is very rare for the ding king tool to pull the dent/ding all the way out on one try. You have to plan on several attempts.

Ding King Web Site

Edit to add the Dingking website

#173858 - 15/04/03 06:12 PM Re: Ding King reviews?
Biohazard Offline

Here are the pics so far...

Before:

After:

Obviously, I've got some more work to do to pull them completely out, but the quote from the shop was $125 & I got the kit for $60. Not a bad deal considering I can apply this to future carnage as well.

#173859 - 16/04/03 10:07 AM Re: Ding King reviews?
Pumpkinhead Offline

Loc: Canada
Might as well take the truck apart, get to the sheet metal and hammer the ding/dent from the inside with a rubber mallet. The "gadget" is just that... a gadget...

#173860 - 16/04/03 10:17 AM Re: Ding King reviews?
Biohazard Offline

I attempted that before I purchased the kit. There are brackets in the way that prevent you from getting to the dent with anything larger than a screwdriver.

#173861 - 16/04/03 01:49 PM Re: Ding King reviews?
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
Good friend of mine is a bodyman with about 25 yrs experience. He says they are a joke. He does swear by the "paintless dent remover" process taht is done professionally....Guys that drive up with funny little tools and in about an hour they can pretty much fix a car hit by hail with several dents! Costs about $100 depending on qty/size of dents.

SINK PLUNGER...!!!

#173862 - 16/04/03 02:39 PM Re: Ding King reviews?
Jefe Offline

I picked up the basic ($20) kit at PepBoys today. I tried it, but got no results, mainly because it's about 85 out, and everything I read said it needs to be below 80. It's supposed to be 60 tomorrow, so I'll try it out.

My paint already chipped at the ege of the dent, so I'm eager to get it out, and get some touch up on it before it get's worse.

If the Ding King fails tho, then I'll see what a paintless repair place will cost.

#173863 - 25/04/03 11:21 PM Re: Ding King reviews?
GrnXnham Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
I had a 3" dent and I decided to borrow the Dent King from a friend.

I give it a grade of "C"

After about two hours of work, I successfully removed about 1/2 of the dent but that was as far as it would go.

Better than nothing but not much better.

Dave

#173864 - 28/04/03 12:53 PM Re: Ding King reviews?
rb42 Offline

Loc: McKinney
Food for thought - if you try it yourself and end up not getting it all, it may cost a lot more for a pro to fix after you've "boogered" it up. smile

-=RB

#173865 - 07/05/03 06:49 PM Re: Ding King reviews?
03SYXPilot Offline

Loc: DE
Better off going with a 'Dent Wizard' service. The gut uses rods and benders to work the dent out. Worked very well for me....had a Honda Civic with what must have been acid dipped fenders!!! Even if you leaned on the fender, it would bend!!! I used dent king to get a plam sized dent out (wasn't too visible to begin with, but it was a show car). The dent king worked like a charm. Couldn't even tell there was a dent there and I paid him $55 to do the job!!!
Dent Kings may get a majority of the dent out, but it leaves you a note saying there was a dent there!!
Sorry noy exactly a review of dent king, but I haven't heard anything good about it.

Now proud owner of a '05 Mazda 3 HB!!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal