Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178525 - 08/05/03 08:45 PM NOT PAINT!!!!
3XACHARM Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Paint on my seat! I got oil-based, yellow paint on my driver's seat today. Worse yet, I was in such a hurry to get to work I didn't have time to treat it ... or something. So. Anyone have a clue how to get oil-based, set for 10 hours now, paint off there X seat. I could get some XTERRA seat covers off xterraparts.com, but I'd rather just get the shit out.

#178526 - 08/05/03 09:10 PM Re: NOT PAINT!!!!
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Once it is set...its set!

Better invest in the seat covers......

-Rick

#178527 - 08/05/03 11:16 PM Re: NOT PAINT!!!!
Miikkaa Offline

Loc: Central New Jersey, United Sta...
That sucks man. You could try bringing it to a good detail shop. DIY: I've never attempted this on my X. I painted houses in my early years and paint would wind up on a lot of unwanted places [Uh Oh !] I have used turpentine on all of those oil-based boo-boos. Just remember if you try it, use a clean rag and dampen (not saturate) a small section of the rag, not the paint, with the turps and blot it until the solvent starts dissolving the paint. Keep turning the rag/applying solvent to a clean section. As the surface paint dissolves a more aggressive approach might be needed to penetrate textured material like scrubbing in a circular motion or even incorporating a toothbrush.

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#178528 - 09/05/03 07:24 AM Re: NOT PAINT!!!!
xterra2k Offline

Loc: Cin city, Oh.
A black marker will make it less noticable.

#178529 - 09/05/03 08:54 PM Re: NOT PAINT!!!!
3XACHARM Offline

Loc: New Mexico
MIIKKAA,

Thanks for your reply. A few questions for you: 1: Will turpentine dis-color or damage the fabric in any way? 2: If I tried this, how bad will the smell be? Will it eventually air out?

#178530 - 09/05/03 09:47 PM Re: NOT PAINT!!!!
Miikkaa Offline

Loc: Central New Jersey, United Sta...
3XACHARM,

Like I said I've never done this on an X...It's worked well getting oil-based paints off the seats when I had my old Jeep with the canvas-like fabric. Also be advised that not all "oil-based paints" are reduced by the same solvent so swab the stain with a Q-Tip dampened with the turps (dip it and sqeeze out the excess) and see if color appears on the swab. Turpentine is pretty mild. Considering it's distilled from wood (pine) and is not a petroleum-based thinner it shouldn't have a chemical reaction with the fabric but if you want to try it test it first where it won't be noticed (place a drop with a Q Tip and let it set overnite). As for the smell, take caution when I said not to saturated the rag. It should be damp enough to lift the stain but not soak into the fabric, especially the padding. A good shampooing the next day should kill any odor.

BTW it's hard for me to walk you through this with proper advice since I have no idea of the extent and conditions of the problem so please don't take my info as a given for your application. If you don't feel comfortable please bring it to a detail shop!! Take care and good luck man!!

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal