Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176576 - 11/08/03 06:59 PM First WAX job
jwessx Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN, USA
Just wondering.....

I've searched for this topic but couldn't locate anything. Haven't checked the owners manual but would like your peoples input anyway..

I've had my X for five months now, 2003 brand new and was wondering about when I should wax it? I was thinking in September. I don't want to ruin the factory finish and I thought this would be a good time to protect the X from the harsh Minnesota winters(mostly salt and the liquid ice desolver the DOT puts on the roads).

ps.. No garage.. Hopefully next year

Thanks for your respondses.

joe

#176577 - 11/08/03 07:23 PM Re: First WAX job
Green X and Ham Offline

Loc: Northern California, USA
A noble question, as a freshly waxed X is a pretty thing to look at, at least in my view!

The first place to check is the owners manual, and in my case (2001 XE P/S/U) there is not a lot of guidance except to say that you should wax your truck. :rolleyes: There are lots of opinions on when the paint is finished curing, and when to apply that first wax job - personally, I wax after 6 months and every three months thereafter.

However, whatever time frame you decide on, consider counting from when your X was *manufactured*, not necessarily from the date of sale.

#176578 - 11/08/03 07:36 PM Re: First WAX job
NetJunkie Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
You can wax it the first day. The paint is cured at the factory on new cars. I always wax my cars within 24 hours of getting them to protect the paint.

#176579 - 12/08/03 02:56 PM Re: First WAX job
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wax On... Wax Off... Wax On... Wax Off...

I remember my first wax job like it was just yesterday....

wink

#176580 - 13/08/03 05:47 AM Re: First WAX job
hot_h2o Offline

Loc: Bright, Indiana
netjunkie is right. Wax it as soon as you get it. Who knows how long it sat out at the dealer. I waxed my the day I got it. cool

#176581 - 13/08/03 06:06 PM Re: First WAX job
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
the more coats of wax and sealer the better. i probably have 5 coats on there right now to help protect against scratches offroading, if you go into tight areas with branches and stuff scraping against your truck you want a good amount of wax between them and your paint.

#176582 - 13/08/03 07:38 PM Re: First WAX job
jwessx Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN, USA
Well thanks everyoneone for your input.

Its been hotter than hell here, so I will wait till September when the weather finally cools down.

Thanks,

JOE

#176583 - 13/08/03 08:03 PM Re: First WAX job
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
all the more reason to put the wax on now in the evening when it's cooler. the wax will help protect the paint.

#176584 - 14/08/03 04:22 PM Re: First WAX job
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jwessx:
Just wondering.....

I've searched for this topic but couldn't locate anything. Haven't checked the owners manual but would like your peoples input anyway..

I've had my X for five months now, 2003 brand new and was wondering about when I should wax it? I was thinking in September. I don't want to ruin the factory finish and I thought this would be a good time to protect the X from the harsh Minnesota winters(mostly salt and the liquid ice desolver the DOT puts on the roads).

ps.. No garage.. Hopefully next year

Thanks for your respondses.

joe

#176585 - 14/08/03 05:08 PM Re: First WAX job
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey there! Actually you don't have to wait to wax it at all. The first week I had my Xterra I took it into the dealership to get detailed and waxed.

#176586 - 08/09/03 05:28 AM Re: First WAX job
Xyclist Offline

On this subject, I don't think there are too many things I enjoy more than a sunny September or October Saturday spent in the driveway waxing my trucks, one of which is my X. Gonna do that real soon if we get a nice weekend here in Maryland.

#176587 - 08/09/03 08:45 AM Re: First WAX job
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I'll pay ya to do mine wink I always have ambitions of putting 2 coats on, but never get to the second one...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#176588 - 02/10/03 05:12 PM Re: First WAX job
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know that you dont want to wash/wax under a blistering noon sun in July but that is obviously not a huge problem now.

Is there a temperature that is too low?? Its barely hitting the fifty's this week. I'm hoping for a nice sunny mid-60's when I am actually off work.

Thanks all!!

#176589 - 12/10/03 07:25 AM Re: First WAX job
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:

I'll pay ya to do mine wink I always have ambitions of putting 2 coats on, but never get to the second one...

Brent
I hear you there. I used to pay my brother to do our trucks (details cars for a living), but since he moved, I'm on my own. It's getting close to winter, and the weather was going to be great this weekend, so I thought it be a good time to wax both my wifes truck and mine. I hate waxing so I went down to Sears and bought a 10" orbital buffer ($39.00 on sale). It was the first time I ever used one of these for waxing, and boy did it ever save time! I still applied the wax by hand (Finish 2001), but I used the orbital buffer to take it off. I can't believe I waited this long to buy one!

cool

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#176590 - 16/10/03 09:16 AM Re: First WAX job
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
If you want to get an awesome shine, I highly recommend using Zaino ( www.zainobros.com ). That stuff is amazing! Even if you don't apply Zaino, at least follow the instructions on their site, except apply your favorite brand of paint sealant (polymer or wax). At the minimum, wash it with Dawn dishwashing liquid and definitely use a clay bar. You will be astounded by the results.

And no, I'm not affiliated with Zaino, I just applied that stuff to all 3 of our cars, and it did wonders for the severely neglected paint on our 93 Accord. I only wish I had taken before/after pics!

#176591 - 04/11/03 01:37 PM Re: First WAX job
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
If you want to get an awesome shine, I highly recommend using Zaino ( www.zainobros.com ). That stuff is amazing! Even if you don't apply Zaino, at least follow the instructions on their site, except apply your favorite brand of paint sealant (polymer or wax). At the minimum, wash it with Dawn dishwashing liquid and definitely use a clay bar. You will be astounded by the results.

And no, I'm not affiliated with Zaino, I just applied that stuff to all 3 of our cars, and it did wonders for the severely neglected paint on our 93 Accord. I only wish I had taken before/after pics!
Oh man, clay bar. I used it on my hood of my last car. It does do a great job but the amount of time and work sucks a big one. Especially taking the lubrication off the car.

I've been told by someone that against a clear coat you are supposed to use a polish like Imperial Hand Glaze, and then wax over that. And then next time you go to wax, wash the truck with a dish soap to get all the wax/glaze off and start again. I guess if you just use wax, you'll get a dull wax build up after a while. Just what I've heard.

Mitch

#176592 - 06/11/03 12:22 PM Re: First WAX job
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anything BlackMagic is good.
Let's see,
I got the wax, the Wet Tire spray, the interior protectant thing, body protectant, then this sillcone stuff for the bumpers, and finally a Spray Detailer that I carry around at ALL times. You never know... smile

#176593 - 07/11/03 10:24 AM Re: First WAX job
Anonymous
Unregistered

#176594 - 10/11/03 10:09 PM Re: First WAX job
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont wait to wash and wax your X.

The crap and dust, dirt & grime it collected in transit need to be removed ASAP. This is mostly on the sides and roof as the hood is mostly covered by contact paper during transport.

I would also follow the directions on the Zaino site even if you don't use their products.

Classic Motoring Accessories is an excelent place to learn more about detailing your X as well as to buy products. I have dealt with them for more than 15 years and are happy to answer any questions you have.

Also, buy microfiber towels for any wiping you plan to do on the paint. You can get good ones on ebay for about $1.5 each.

#176595 - 12/11/03 07:24 PM Re: First WAX job
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another tip- don't bother with the chamois.... if you do a final rinse with distilled water it will dry without any water spots. You can get distilled water at almost any grocery store.

#176596 - 18/11/03 04:15 PM Re: First WAX job
JFD Offline

Loc: Western Springs, IL
If the finish is pretty clean, I strongly recommend Liquid Glass. It's pricey but easy to put on and take off. Lasts a long time. Wax the glass too and the water runs right off. It's like Rain-X but cheaper and lasts longer.

If the finish hasn't been waxed in a while, I would use Meguire's Cleaner Wax. It's not very abrasive but gets the crap out of the finish. Then keep waxing it every few months with the Liquid Glass. You'll like the results.

Stay away from the plastic!!! It's tough to get off and you are left with a lifetime of treating the trim with Back to Black or similar product. Major pain. I made the mistake of waxing mine into the evening and didn't see the mistake until it was too late.

I do not recommend using any type of dishwashing liquid as this will take the wax off. Spend $5 and get some real car wash soap. Mequire's Gold Class is good.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal