Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179688 - 16/05/06 01:17 PM Spots on windshield
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone have any tips on removing water spots from the windows?
I should have joined here first before purchasing any products for washing.

I'm using Zipwax car wash, and HATE it! It leaves residue all over and leaves these spots, at least I assume it is the wash, on the windows.

It could be my water, Houston has hard water. Could it also be that I wash it in the sun? Should I be washing in the shade just like waxing?

Thanks for any help. These spots are annoying me beyond belief!

#179689 - 16/05/06 01:59 PM Re: Spots on windshield
Anonymous
Unregistered

--WINDEX --paper towel--rub on clockwise, rub off counterclockwise-- [Spit] [Spit] --JIMBO

#179690 - 16/05/06 02:01 PM Re: Spots on windshield
Anonymous
Unregistered

gymbo, thanks for replying. I have already tried that, it's almost like they are baked onto the glass now it seems. Won't come off with Windex. frown
I tried rubbing alcohol, that didn't work either.

#179691 - 16/05/06 03:43 PM Re: Spots on windshield
Anonymous
Unregistered

Water stains are a pain that I come across a lot in my residential window cleaning business. I use a sharp razor blade and a lot of some sort of lubricant, dish soap and water works well. I am not sure if the glaze is as scratch resistant on a car as it is on a house but try it in a small area. Otherwise I have used crest regular toothpaste and it works well but is really messy. Also there is a 0000 steel wool that would be my best suggestion no water just rub, also if you have any chrome that is rusting (not that an X would have chrome) use 000 or 0000 steel wool and it will look new again. Maybe follow up with rain X or something to keep them from getting as bad in the future. I have also wanted to try CLR Remover but that might not be good for all the plastic.

#179692 - 16/05/06 03:44 PM Re: Spots on windshield
Anonymous
Unregistered

--crap, I thought I was being funny (Karate KID) AND YOU do HAVE A PROBLEM-try 50/50 CLOROX and water (mixed) and either spray or rub with clean rag-works for most things and won't hurt the paint or rubber--good luck--JIMBO

#179693 - 16/05/06 04:07 PM Re: Spots on windshield
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hehe, Jimbo, you were, my husband laughed at least.
And actually, I don't wipe that way with Windex anyway, leaves streaks, one direction always, and newspaper works best. LOL

Thanks for y'all's tips. I'll try them out. I hope it works.

#179694 - 16/05/06 04:59 PM Re: Spots on windshield
Anonymous
Unregistered

I posted about this a while ago, I always park the X outside my beach house the same direction and the sprinkler goes off everyother morning so there are still spots on the windows. Someone mentioned wax but I am a little weary of trying that. Just a thought.

#179695 - 16/05/06 05:11 PM Re: Spots on windshield
Anonymous
Unregistered

Clean it well and then apply Rain-X. The spots will stay away.

Mine ususally has chunks of mud, though. laugh

#179696 - 16/05/06 05:30 PM Re: Spots on windshield
Anonymous
Unregistered

buy some stoners invisible glass. this stuff is simply amazing. cleans the glass really well, gets most water spots out, and leaves NO streaks.

buy it!

#179697 - 16/05/06 05:59 PM Re: Spots on windshield
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by yankyfan100:
buy some stoners invisible glass. this stuff is simply amazing. cleans the glass really well, gets most water spots out, and leaves NO streaks.

buy it!
I always thought stoners always saw things from a fairly cloudy view.
laugh

#179698 - 16/05/06 06:18 PM Re: Spots on windshield
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have discovered, after using Jimbo's diluted bleach method, that what I seem to have is a wax buildup from the wash that I'm using (Zipwax car wash). I will NEVER use this again! I was raised on Turtlewax brand, but this stuff is terrible!
I am scrubbing and scrubbing, and it is flaking and flaking. GRRRR!

Thanks for everyone's advice! I really do appreciate it. I'm just thrilled to know what it is now.

So, if I use regular dish soap to wash my car, will the wax already there wear off so I can apply a new wax?

Sorry, I've never owned such a new and expensive car before, and I intend to take care of this investment. smile

#179699 - 16/05/06 06:22 PM Re: Spots on windshield
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't use dish soap, it doesn't work well. I've been using Simple Green. a large bottle will last forever.

#179700 - 16/05/06 06:47 PM Re: Spots on windshield
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Wash it with Dawn dishwashing liquid to strip the wax.

Try using a clay detailing bar on those window waterspots.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal