2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#675540 - 08/05/11 09:27 AM Beginner Questions
BenjaminSmithy Offline

Loc: US
so im new to the community!
and i like it.
ive got a 2000 se. its on pathfinder rims and over size tires that barely fit. so i was thinking about doing a PML. so i have some questions:
1. will it hurt handling or gas miliage?
2. will it hurt my car. like wear down bearing and stuff? all i need is an inch or so.
id get the 6in shackles and just tune to torsion bars.
but red flags go up when i think of tuning those bars.
will it hurt my ride?
much appreciated if yall would help me out!

#675541 - 08/05/11 11:32 AM Re: Beginner Questions [Re: BenjaminSmithy]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: BenjaminSmithy
so im new to the community!
and i like it.

ive got a 2000 se. its on pathfinder rims and over size tires that barely fit. so i was thinking about doing a PML. so i have some questions:

1. will it hurt handling or gas miliage?

2. will it hurt my car. like wear down bearing and stuff? all i need is an inch or so.

id get the 6in shackles and just tune to torsion bars.
but red flags go up when i think of tuning those bars.

will it hurt my ride?

much appreciated if yall would help me out!

A PML is an inexpensive 1.5" suspension lift.

T-bars are adjusted by simply rotating them to a new position, it doesn't "push down harder" or anything like that...it just sets the ride height to a point in the range provided for by the built-in factory t-bar adjusters.

So, there's no extra wear and tear on anything, as the forces are the same....you just sit higher.

The front ride stays the same with a t-bar adjustment, as you didn't really change anything that would affect the ride.

The rear ride is typically a little smoother, as the longer shackles allow more shackle swing, and help absorb initial ride motions better than the oem 3" shackles.

The tires typically make more of a difference than adding 1.5" of height....and as long as you keep the nose lower than the tail (PRESERVE the factory rake...measure first, before you change it), your mpg is typically the same.

Handling already changed when you got larger tires, and, raising your center of gravity doesn't help handling, but, the change is not that dramatic...like adding a couple of passengers.

If you off road, or drive on uneven terrain, etc...be aware that a suspension lift ONLY increases room for those tires AT RIDE HEIGHT. When you go over a bump, brake, or other wise compress the suspension, the extra tire room goes where your lap does when you stand up. (The tire will still rise and hit whatever it would have hit anyway)

laugh

32" tires fit your X STOCK, with no lift at all...and just some trimming of front wheel well plastic at the plastic ledge the lower mud flaps used to screw into.

If the oversize tires you have are larger than that, you'd want to cut away more front well than that, or, do a 2" Body Lift instead of a PML.

For just TIRE CLEARANCE, a BL is better than an SL.

A BL doesn't raise the center of gravity enough to notice, and doesn't change the ride or handling, etc...it just makes your wheel wells 2" higher ALL the time, not JUST at ride height.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#675545 - 08/05/11 05:40 PM Re: Beginner Questions [Re: TJ]
BenjaminSmithy Offline

Loc: US
thanks alot!
il probably do some trimming now and maybe later when money isnt so tight do a pml. what is gas mileage usually like for say a first generation x on all terrains. i have a thule roof rack and i got 15 (mostly interstate). not as good as i would have hoped.

#675548 - 09/05/11 05:29 AM Re: Beginner Questions [Re: BenjaminSmithy]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: BenjaminSmithy
thanks alot!
il probably do some trimming now and maybe later when money isnt so tight do a pml. what is gas mileage usually like for say a first generation x on all terrains. i have a thule roof rack and i got 15 (mostly interstate). not as good as i would have hoped.

A lot of variables, but AT's are a little worse than Hwy tires, sometimes better, depending on which hwy tire, and which AT.

Some tires have more $ into low rolling resistance, and others have high hysteresis losses and a lower price, etc.

I was averaging ~ 20 mpg on BFG AT ko's (305/70/16) - 5 spd V6 - but could lower than that by simply by speeding, by putting the spare on the roof, or "leveling" the truck, running lower tire pressure, and so forth.

The X has the aerodynamics of a brick....and keeping the speed and the nose down, and tire pressure up, and stuff off the roof, makes a huge difference in mpg. Swapping in full synthetic lubes also helped a lot all by itself.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal