Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176089 - 09/06/02 03:48 PM Help! Wax + Polish + Poop + Berries = Scratches!
NissanXterraNyc Offline

Loc: Queens, New York
Given: I get the car washed regularly.
I wax and polish and detail with Meg's No. 7, No. 26, and Detailer.

Today, I'm about to leave to the supermarket to get some groceries with Mrs. NissanXterraNyc when I noticed that there are berries splatted on my hood. So I take the out the "bug and tar" remover to remove the dried up splat when I noticed that I was getting swirl scratches even as lightly as I possibly can. What the f...f...frankenberry!

I dont ever remember it being so hard to take out crap off the hood when I used Meg's Gold Class Liquid Wax.

So basically am I polishing and waxing wrong? Should I use No. 7 and No. 26 and then the Gold Class LW? Or does anyone recommend any wipes or a new method to remove crud w/o even putting as much as a hairline?

#176090 - 09/06/02 04:05 PM Re: Help! Wax + Polish + Poop + Berries = Scratches!
TK1 Offline

Loc: Taylorsville, UT
Soap and water is the best thing to use to remove organic material such as bird shit, bugs ect....

I would not recommend using any product that claims to remove "everthing". Bugs and tar are made of nothing similar.

Also never,never ever use paper towels on your paint, they can be more abrasive than some sand papers.

You shoulden't follow one wax with another, No. 26 should be fine on it's own.

Hope this helps.

Got paint?

#176091 - 09/06/02 04:21 PM Re: Help! Wax + Polish + Poop + Berries = Scratches!
NissanXterraNyc Offline

Loc: Queens, New York
Do you think the bug and tar remover "wipes" I used were too abrasive? I know not to use paper towel but what can I use to remove crud along with the soap and water; any special products/materials besides a 100% terry cloth?

Thanks!

#176092 - 09/06/02 04:34 PM Re: Help! Wax + Polish + Poop + Berries = Scratches!
TK1 Offline

Loc: Taylorsville, UT
The wipes by them selves are probably not too abrasive but the bird crap probably had something abrasive in it causing it to scratch the paint.

That is why if you can, it's best to rinse most of it off first, even if it's just a spray bottle with water in it.

Got paint?

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal