2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177784 - 17/07/03 11:35 AM Wash, Polish, Then Wax?
Chato Offline

Loc: Orange, Tx
I know, I know, sort of a stupid question, and one that has been covered to death. The thing is, I've never polished my truck. I've always used the car wash concentrate (actually the Turtle Shell concentrate with the wax already in), followed by a wax (if not using the concentrate with wax already in). My truck gets clean, no doubt, but there's no shine when using the concentrate with the wax. So I've decided to wax after using the concentrate regardless of it having the wax already in it or not. Confused yet? Here's my question...what about polish? I mean, doesn't wax get the X shiny and protect it? Does using polish make that big of a difference in the appearance? If so, I don't even know when to use the polish since I've never used it before on any of my vehicles in the past. Do I wash the X with concentrate, then apply polish like I would the wax, then rub off the polish and apply wax? Sounds like a lot of work. Guess it's worth it if it makes that much difference. Also, I learned the hard way not to get wax on any of the panels or plastic, but is polish the same way? Do I need to keep it only on the paint?
Sorry for sounding ignorant regarding the subject. I've just always kept the inside of my X cleaner than the out.

#177785 - 17/07/03 11:40 AM Re: Wash, Polish, Then Wax?
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
A polish basically cleans the crap on your paint. That soap with the built-in wax is pretty useless, stop using it.

To get back on the right foot, wash the truck with liquid dish soap. This will really strip it nicely (get off any oxydization, etc). Use a polish after that to make it shine. Cover it up with a wax to protect it.

#177786 - 17/07/03 11:50 AM Re: Wash, Polish, Then Wax?
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
If you've never tried polish, you don't even realize what you are missing.

A complete 3 step consists of a cleaner, polish, and wax. The cleaner gets rid of all surface blemishes such as oxidation, minor swirls and water spots. The polish is what gives the paint that deep shine. It creates that wet look and a depth feel on dark colored cars.

Chato, since your truck is green, a polish should make a lot of difference. I recommend Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover. It's a polish combined with fillers and cleaners, it'll hide most of those swirl marks that you might have.

First wash the vehicle. No, the turtle wax wash don't have any real wax in it, but use it anyway because dish soap will strip off all the wax that you spend hours putting on.

Then apply the Meguiars #9 the same was as you would apply wax, work it into the surface till it starts to dry. I strongly recommend a buffer though. Wipe it off with cleaner cloth and you should notice a big difference if you look closely. Then follow with your favourite wax.

The wax does not shine, it only protects, respecially the polymer sealants. It's like a film of thin wrap keeping your paint away from the weather. The polish is the thing that makes your truck shine.

#177787 - 17/07/03 11:55 AM Re: Wash, Polish, Then Wax?
superjens Offline

Quote:
but use it anyway because dish soap will strip off all the wax that you spend hours putting on.
Yeah, and this is something you want to do. What do you think the swirl remover is doing? Stripping off all the old wax! Get a good headstart and use a strong cleaner like I mentioned, liquid dish soap. Toss out that Turtles crap.

#177788 - 17/07/03 12:18 PM Re: Wash, Polish, Then Wax?
Chato Offline

Superjens -
I like how you have your Hellas mounted on your bumper. I've been wanting to do that myself (but am a little scared since I'm an electrical idiot). You do that yourself?

#177789 - 17/07/03 05:41 PM Re: Wash, Polish, Then Wax?
superjens Offline

Yup, do it yourself, and very easy. Hardest part is drilling the bumper. Just grab a drill that's the right size and go for it! The wiring is a bit confusing, email me and I'll send you a diagram that makes it easier to understand.

#177790 - 17/07/03 06:07 PM Re: Wash, Polish, Then Wax?
Chato Offline

Sweeeeeeet. Thanks man! When I get my lights (probably next month) I'll drop you a line. You'll have to explain it to me like I'm a three year old though. Hope you don't mind.
Seriously, I get confused changing fuses if that tells you anything about my electrical expertise. eek

[Wave]

By the way, why are you selling the X?

#177791 - 17/07/03 06:30 PM Re: Wash, Polish, Then Wax?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you're going to go through the trouble of polishing AND waxing then you really should go over the paint with a clay bar before you polish. The clay bar will safely remove airborne pollutants and road debris that the polish can't get out without serious rubbing (which is BAD for the clearcoat!) You'd be amazed at how smooth the paint is after using a clay bar. Run your hands over your truck and it will probably feel kind of like sandpaper now; at least in places. After using a clay bar it will be smooth.

#177792 - 17/07/03 10:08 PM Re: Wash, Polish, Then Wax?
XTario Offline

Loc: Canada,QC
This is a topic with MASSIVE depth of detailing techniques and skill.
First off...have a visit here
www.detailcity.com
ALL your questions will be covered here
Search with my user name:
Tarios

and you`ll have a lot of help.

Let me run it down for you a little more deep than the guys on top. I'll refer to your truck as 'car': so all you Xterra-name cops out there...take it easy wink

Your finish-meaning your paintfinish will ONLY be as shiney and clear as your base coat cleaning.
You can't expect high gloss finish and deep shine if your base isn't cleaned properly.

Wash your car with dish washing soap.
Like mentioned above it will strip away all that old or crappy film lft behind from your Turtle wax.

Then get a hold of a clay bar" Thsi is something that looks lke plastersine and what you will do is with a hose or spray bottle..wet aout one square foot area of teh car and just lightly rub the clay bar over it in a BACK and FORTH motion.
Bumper to bumper direction on hood and top..and door fenders and quarter panels...all back and forth only.. Forget that circular motion stuff forever... It's over.

Here what you are doing is removing 1st rail dust that has probably been on your car since delivery day, and oxidation caused by road grime and other contaminents.

Your xterra's finish should be clean now.
But get in in your head that you want to use cloths and MICROFIBER towels for ALL paint surfaces.
DO NOT use rags, or towels or anything with an abrasive feel..yes some towels scratch the hell out of your clear coat.

Someone above mentioned to you to use a BUFFER.
My friend if you don't know how to use wax or anything on this topic...STAY AWAY from a buffer..
When I say buffer I am implying a ROTARY macine.
This is strictly reserved for professionals and people who are basically in the business. No offence. but with your qustion on this post, you should stay away from any rotary machine..period.
If you want to use a machine ..get a hold of an ORBITAL machine. Porter Cable make the IDEAL machine for beginners and pros alike.
PC 7424 unit is amazing. This machine oscilates in a back and forth motion and therefore doesn't spin in one direction which avoids burning your clear coat right off. A rotary machine is bascially the equivalent to a Dewalt Disc Sander or Disc cutter..thats what a rotary looks like..obviously theres different models..but it looks like a disc cutting tool...so imagine how powerful they are...even with various speeds....you can't use a rotary to remove deep swirls in low speeds anyway...it's got to create heat and with a right pad..PLUS using the right product..that alone is another volume.
If you will be doing ANY kind of compound or polish..
A machine like this is great.
You can go by hand as well...but a machine has it's benefits.
Now if your finish is really bad..you may need to use a light compound swirl remover.
There are different grades..I don`t think you ll need that grade of compound that would require you to use a Rotary machine with a wool pad..because if your car is in that bad a state..you might as well bring that X to a detail shop and ask them to do a light Compound for you.
This is the step that will allow you to POLISH your truck the right way.
What we do here is:
COMPOUND:
Removes a VERY FINE layer of clear coat, we're talking less thickness than a hair.
Here we remove the most serious stage of oxidation.
POLISH:
Here we are polsihing the clear coat and giving those compound finishes a wipe down and giving the clear coat a rich deep gloss finish.Kind of smoothing out what the compound had to do to remove the fine scratches and swirl marks.
WAX:
Wax is simply the protective shell over your hard work..I final finish and something that goes on relatively easy.
Invest in some Micro Fiber towels/cloths.
3M mkaes some and they're sold at Wal Mart..check in the kitchen cleaning department..they are simply amazing for remvoing polish. wax...just use them after every application of whatever you just used, as a cloth to wipe the whole car down with.
I ran out of time to continue here..I'm at work..
But if you like.. email more specific questions and visit that site I mentioned to you above...
HTH you out somewhat.

#177793 - 18/07/03 09:09 AM Re: Wash, Polish, Then Wax?
superjens Offline

^^^^^ Overzealous overkill overload.

Are you entering a clean truck competition, or do you want to make your paint shiny? Just keep it simple, you'll still get great results. Even if the paint isn't silky smooth to the touch, it'll still look sweet.

#177794 - 18/07/03 12:17 PM Re: Wash, Polish, Then Wax?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, but if you don't remove the pollutants, especially metal particals, then you are just covering up stuff that eats away and pits the paint leading to bigger problems later. Running a clay bar over the paint doesn't take that long and removes all that harmful crap.

It makes me sick to think of how much work I could have saved myself years ago before I discovered the clay bar; not to mention how much less clearcoat and paint would have been removed from polishing.

#177795 - 18/07/03 10:34 PM Re: Wash, Polish, Then Wax?
XTario Offline

Loc: Canada,QC
[QUOTE]Originally posted by superjens:
[QB]^^^^^ Overzealous overkill overload.

If you're referring to my post..you don't know what you're talking about.
Being lazy is one thing..go ahead and be it..
but there is only one RIGHT way to polish and maintain a vehicles' look...and that's proper care. Not just making it 'look' shiney...
If you recommend for the guy to use turtle wax..then you shouldn't recommend nothing at all..
I just spent I don't know how long trying to help the poor guy out cause he has as he says `no clue` about this topic..and here you come and claim it an overzealous, overkill post..
well. [Finger]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal