Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177988 - 12/07/03 08:32 PM Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
Guido Offline

Loc: Albertville, MN
I gave the X its first "hand job" today laugh

61,000 miles on it and I finally got around to giving it its first hand wash and wax job.

Used the Meguiar's 3 step process, and the X looks great!!! Makes me proud to have a black X again. Definately not something I plan on doing every month, but twice a year should be doable.

The bad thing about this is the wife is going to be driving the X for a while. The air conditioning went out in her car (and it is not worth putting the money into it to fix it) so I am going to drive that until the temps go down, or we decide to bite the bullet and buy a new car.

#177989 - 13/07/03 02:50 AM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
MaloCS Offline

Two thumbs up for the "3 Step Process".

I recently gave my silver X some nice pinstripes and the Meguire's "3 Step Process" smoothed them out nicely.

#177990 - 14/07/03 05:15 AM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
Bubba-X Offline

Loc: Maryland
I live by the Meguire's wax. Excellent product. wink

#177991 - 14/07/03 02:55 PM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Guido:
I gave the X its first "hand job" today laugh
Where can I sign up?

#177992 - 14/07/03 03:14 PM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
RckyMtnHi Offline

Loc: Somewhere in CO
If you like Meguiars, try Griots Best Of Show wax. Lasts longer and looks just as good if not better IMO.

#177993 - 14/07/03 05:37 PM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Griot's makes the best stuff! He goes out all over the world and only buys/makes the best. Check the website:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp

-Rick

#177994 - 15/07/03 11:05 AM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Unless your X is in very bad condition, a 3 step is usually unecessary. The first step, the cleaner, is only needed for oxidized and deep swirls. For most people, a swirl remover type of polish (polish + mild cleaning chemicals) such as the meguiar's #9 swirl remover is all you need, plus a coat of wax.

I'd recommend Meguiar's Proffessional line of products, the ones with yellow/ivroy colored bottles, as opposed to the reddish colored consumer ones. A rotary buffer is also very useful when trying to get rid of light scratches, just remember to keep the revs low till you get the hang of it.

#177995 - 16/07/03 07:05 AM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
RckyMtnHi Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
A rotary buffer is also very useful when trying to get rid of light scratches, just remember to keep the revs low till you get the hang of it.
Two words "Porter Cable". I just got one of their random orbital sander/buffers and my rig looks awesome. Washed, Clayed, Polished, and waxed. Pricy, but well worth it for the DIYer.

#177996 - 16/07/03 07:31 AM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Please note, power buffers are usefull tools, but... Some care products are formulated for hand application/removal only. Some work with both methods. Others are formulated primarily for machine use.
So, while we all hate to do it, read the label. If the directions are not clear, contact the manufacturer thru the 800 number or web site. Too much bother, so dive right in. The wrong product, machine application and inexperienced user equals damaged paint.

dave and xtoy - and that will cost you

#177997 - 16/07/03 01:04 PM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
RJ Offline

"Two words "Porter Cable""

Dual Action / Random Orbital buffers like the one you just mentioned are great for applying and removing wax / sealant, but to remove swirl marks they are useless.

With a rotary buffer, you are actually melting and removing a layer of the clearcoat. To do that you'll need friction and heat, neither of which are generated in the PorterCable.

#177998 - 16/07/03 01:29 PM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
RckyMtnHi Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
"Two words "Porter Cable""

Dual Action / Random Orbital buffers like the one you just mentioned are great for applying and removing wax / sealant, but to remove swirl marks they are useless.

With a rotary buffer, you are actually melting and removing a layer of the clearcoat. To do that you'll need friction and heat, neither of which are generated in the PorterCable.
Disagree (partially). They do remove minor swirl marks when polishing. Have you tried it? I have smile

A rotary buffer is something that should only be used by a trained professional for the reason that you mentioned. I cannot burn the paint on my rig using the Porter Cable. However, you can very easily do this using a rotary buffer.

DaveDatsun you are correct. Always read the label before you begin.

#177999 - 16/07/03 02:06 PM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
RJ Offline

"Have you tried it? I have"

I have too. My Home Depot, Ryobi $29 random orbital actually does quite good for removing hairline scratchs if you use the correct chemicals.

Actually, for most people, the Porter Cable would be much more useful than a rotary. So if you are going to purchase only one machine, go for the Porter Cable!

I'm actually considering one myself, as soon as I find someone on Ebay that ships to Canada.

#178000 - 17/07/03 08:20 PM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
seamonkey Offline

Loc: Boerne, TX
You'll put on Meguires on 5 times by the time you'll have to reapply Collinite Super Double Coat Wax

Offroad Pics

#178001 - 17/07/03 10:12 PM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
RJ Offline

But no matter how wonderful it might be, it is still a wax and it cannot replace a 3 step.

#178002 - 24/07/03 10:17 AM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

what exactly is a 3-step?

#178003 - 24/07/03 10:48 AM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
Guido Offline

Loc: Albertville, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by mcoker:
what exactly is a 3-step?
It is put out by Meguiar's. It involves using a paint cleaner (#1), polish (#2), and finally the wax (#4). I really brings out the shine and deep color of your car or truck.

I hadn't waxed my truck in @ a year, and it really cleaned it up great.

#178004 - 11/08/03 12:29 PM Re: Two thumbs up to Meguiar's!!
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Put another endorsement up for Meguiar's 3 Step!

I finally did my first wax job on the X since taking it home nearly a year and a half ago... and the results made it look like the day it came home!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal