Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172961 - 06/06/04 02:51 PM First trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was finally able to take the Xterra out on a trail. It was the Canelo Hills Trail outside of Parker Canyon Lake, AZ. It was a blast. A simple trail, but you have to start somewhere. There was lots of brush so I have some scratches on the side.
It doesnt bother me too much, but I would still like to keep the Xterra looking good. So I was wondering if anyone has used the touch up paints by Nissan? I think I can get most of the scrathes out, but just in case I was wondering how the paints worked.
Also has anyone done or know of any good places and trail around the Tucson area, just looking for ideas for the next trip.

Thanks

JB

#172962 - 06/06/04 05:39 PM Re: First trip
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Good to see that you've taken it off road..Lots off people that own 4 wheel drive vehicles can't even say that...But as far as those touch up paints go they are only as good as the person wants them to be..What I mean if you're gonna just take it and spread it into the scratch or chip then you're gonna notice it..Now if you're gonna put it on and then lightly wet sand it and then buff it out then you'll get yourself a better finish...

Oh and a small tip for ya join a local Xterra club cause no one's gonna give out any trailheads online for risk of getting into trouble with a local law enforcement agency..Joining a club you'll get to find those places out and at least you can go out with others incase you get stuck and don't worry everyone gets stuck.. wink

#172963 - 06/06/04 05:58 PM Re: First trip
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA

That should help with the minor scratches. The deeper ones should best be left to a professional. A dentless repair shop should be able to take care of it, but do you really want to pay to have scratches removed after every trip? I say just live with them, they build character. smile

#172964 - 06/06/04 06:44 PM Re: First trip
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey:
they build character. smile
Then my X has tons of character.. wink

#172965 - 07/06/04 05:29 AM Re: First trip
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Bullsi -
How you deal with a scratch depends on how deep the scratch goes. Your paint is three layers thick. Primer covers the sheet metal, then a color layer and finally, clearcoat.
If you've only scratched, but not gone thru the clearcoat then scratch-x and re-waxing will be fine. If you go thru a layer, then it needs to be replaced. Not everyone has the deft touch and patience to do a good job. For you to judge.

dave and xtoy - who will be S. of Tucson in 6 months

#172966 - 07/06/04 10:38 AM Re: First trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use 3M Perfect-IT Rubbing Compound (Fine Cut). You can use it by hand or machine. Does a fine job of removing most scratches.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal