Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176005 - 08/07/04 08:49 PM Dent and scratch
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay so someone decided to key the rear door... mad

what can i use to fix the scratch, also there is one dent which is about 6" tall and has two small dents in it. can someone recommend a good dent remover, i guess like the one on tv... frown

Quote:
She cant take it anymore captain, she's breaking up (Scotty)

#176006 - 09/07/04 03:48 AM Re: Dent and scratch
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
One thing at a time.
For the scratch - how deep is it? You have three basic layers of paint over the metal. There's clear coat, color coat, primer and then the raw metal. If a layer is gone, it needs to be replaced.
Some dents can be removed/reduced by services such as 'dent wizzard', paint free dent removal, or other local trade names. Check your yellow pages or ask around. Some services make 'house' calls.
If the damage from either event is too severe you may have to see your friendly (overpriced) body shop.

dave and xtoy - flaws add character

#176007 - 09/07/04 07:50 AM Re: Dent and scratch
babyX Offline

How can you tell which layer the scratch went through? I've got one on my roof that's about a foot and a half long from a branch, but it's over a year old. I think it's just through the clear coat (colour layer isn't disturbed at all), but is that the case? And if so, how do you replace it?

You're gonna tell me to do a search, aren't you? :p

#176008 - 09/07/04 06:28 PM Re: Dent and scratch
DaveDatsun Offline

babyX -

"You're gonna tell me to do a search, aren't you?"

I think you'd be hard pressed to find many posts where I told anyone to go search. If you want to insult people, don't expect their help.

dave and xtoy - it's been scratched over a year, who cares

#176009 - 10/07/04 06:26 PM Re: Dent and scratch
Anonymous
Unregistered

the scratch is deep to the metal,will touch up paint help? have any of you fixed this type of dent and what did you use?

thanks
Quote:
She cant take it anymore captain, she's breaking up (Scotty)

#176010 - 10/07/04 07:32 PM Re: Dent and scratch
DaveDatsun Offline

xpedicious -

A scratch down to the metal is a prime place for rust to start. How do you want the repair to look? For the hatch to be like new, go to a pro. If preventing rust and having the area look good enuf, then have at it.
Clean the scratch. If there is already rust, it must be removed. If you don't have prep-sol, wipe with some alcohol to remove any oil or wax. Prime the metal. Some products from the store are too thick. Add some thinner if this is the case. Two thin coats are better than one thick coat. Do not fill the groove all the way with primer. Leave room for the next step.
Get some fine wet sandpaper. 1000 grit or finer(higher number). Use it to take off any primer that goes much beyond the 'groove' of the scratch. Leave primer in the groove and that's it. Some color match touch-up paint needs clear coat, some does not. Check the label or ask. Start to fill the valley with color. If clear coat is needed, leave space for it. When done the new paint should be just a very little bit higher than the original paint. Then use your very fine sandpaper to make the new paint level with the original paint. Most cleaner waxes will bring the sanded area back to a reasonable shine.

dave and xtoy - be patient, let the paint dry

#176011 - 10/07/04 08:22 PM Re: Dent and scratch
Anonymous
Unregistered

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal