Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177576 - 02/07/06 02:25 PM Forever Black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone tried the forever black formula for their plastic bumpers? I was contemplating on whether or not to buy it...it's supposed to be a more permanent trim than the other "dressings" out there that just mask the problem of faded bumpers.

Now I've tried Mothers Back-2-Black a couple times and I'm not really satisfied with it...it only lasts about 2 weeks then the bumpers are back to their crappy faded state.

So now I'm deciding I'll have to get something more permament and Forever Black seems to be it. (actually, the only semi-permanent treatment).

Has anyone tried this? If so, how is it?

#177577 - 02/07/06 05:34 PM Re: Forever Black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

how about Krylon Fusion paint? (it's spray paint that's formulated to stick to plastic) you'll have to remove the plastic trim before prepping and painting, but it's more permanent than anything else out there laugh

#177578 - 03/07/06 02:01 AM Re: Forever Black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah Chef, I was thinking about getting the krylon fusion for plastics...although I'm still kind of worried that it might flake off, seeing I've put so much crap on the bumpers over the years. (I know I'll have to prep it before painting, but still...)

I dunno. So nobodies used this forever black stuff?

#177579 - 04/07/06 05:44 AM Re: Forever Black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use it and it works great!!

#177580 - 06/07/06 03:56 PM Re: Forever Black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want to paint my grill, but don't know how to take it off. I might just tape everything off & go for it as is.

#177581 - 07/07/06 09:06 AM Re: Forever Black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i've used "forever black" before on other vehicles, and it definitely works... pretty easy to use too... certainly easier than painting...

just make sure you prep the surface REALLY well... wash it with dawn, then use the cleaning solution that comes with the kit... when you think it is clean enough, clean it again...

#177582 - 12/07/06 06:13 PM Re: Forever Black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

interesting...i'll have to try to find some of that.

the reason your back to black doesn't last is that i believe it is a restorer....not an actual protectant. when i use b2b, i always rewipe it back down later to matte it down a bit and then put a coat of 303 over top of it for protection.

meguiars also makes a trim protectant. it's a bit hard to find (i have to order it online), but it works like a friggin' champ.

#177583 - 13/07/06 12:52 PM Re: Forever Black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by pluvo:
I want to paint my grill, but don't know how to take it off. I might just tape everything off & go for it as is.
Couple screws and quite a few of these little plastic 1/4 turns. You'll need a long flat head screwdriver to get the one under the headlight.

#177584 - 13/07/06 04:42 PM Re: Forever Black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, this weekend I tried to get the grill off. I got the little 1/4 turn connectors off fine, but there were 2 clips kinda behind the headlights I couldn't get to to pinch & release.

I ended up taping everything off & hitting it with the Krylon. I painted it in 3 sittings about 2 hours apart. After I took all the tape & newspaper off I noticed some I missed by one of the headlights so I taped that off & hit it again.

Looks pretty good. Worst case I'll have to do it again in a year. We'll see how it goes.

I also painted the NISSAN on my airdam. According to the cap it was supposed to be a shiny, chrome-like silver.

Silver yes, shiny no. Looks good tho.

#177585 - 17/07/06 02:39 PM Re: Forever Black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i just went to one of the 2 dealers in our state. He had plenty but said its not what i'm looking for. Its basicly a black dye in a shoepolish container so all it will do is turn your stuff black. He sold me on some other stuff called black restore by wizard. Pretty similar to back to black by mothers but already it seems better, more color and not as much of a glossy silicone residue. I guess the true test will be when i wash it again to see if it all comes off like b2b. Kind of weird cause it actually smells like orange peels.

#177586 - 17/07/06 04:06 PM Re: Forever Black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by pluvo:
Well, this weekend I .... painted it.....
Looks pretty good. ..
Well, how about some pics?

MGJ

#177587 - 19/07/06 02:10 PM Re: Forever Black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ask and ye shall receive.

Please excuse the dust, it's been windy lately.

#177588 - 20/07/06 03:03 AM Re: Forever Black?
Choprdoc Offline

Loc: Covington,GA
I painted my grill with Fusion about 3 months ago. I have been thru the automatic car wash about 5 times, driven around 2 thousand miles with no problems. Still looks good.

#177589 - 04/08/06 09:34 PM Re: Forever Black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

has anyone used duplicolor bumper cover paint?

#177590 - 10/08/06 07:58 PM Re: Forever Black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Update: I used the Duplicolor and it worked great! I painted my headlight covers and front grille. It came off really easy after i got all those 1/4 turn connectors off. If anyone wants pics, let me know. Now i just have to give it time to see if it has any endurance.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal