2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180961 - 13/11/06 05:06 PM BAD SMELL
Anonymous
Unregistered

so i got this bad smell in my car and cant get it out. i have tried to frabreeze it, air out, nothin really. i am just wondering whats the best way to get a smell out. i have seat covers and i think i am going to take those and wash them, also how often do you need to replace the incabin mircofilter. the smell i think iis from my bball stuff. any help would be good. thanks

#180962 - 13/11/06 05:29 PM Re: BAD SMELL
Anonymous
Unregistered

take the bball stuff out, jk. i changed my micro filter and the smell went away, you are supposed to change every 15,000 or 6 months i believe.

#180963 - 14/11/06 06:10 AM Re: BAD SMELL
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are actually a few posts about this, if you do a search. Not bashing, but I had the same problem, AC was apparently supporting a mold farm in the truck, and ended up searching for the info to cure the stench. Solution wasn't there in black and white, but it gave me some ideas. Here's what I did;

1) Replaced in-cabin air filters. Didn't really help much because the filters were still pretty much new, but figured what the hell..
2) Used the household steam vac on the floor mats
3) Used steam vac detergent mix with a spray bottle, and a shop vac, and cleaned the interior seats and carpet of the truck. Allowed the truck to dry out completely for a day with the windows down.
4) Armor all / cleaned all the plastic surfaces.
5) Fogged the system with the AC off, fan on 4, windows closed, by spraying anti-bacterial air freshner in the inlet vent (next to windshield wipers). Fogging consisted of about 3 'treatments' of about 10 second sprays per treatment. The 3rd treatment I left the AC on.

Truck smelled HORRIBLE after that, for about a day, but the perfume sent went away and now there is nothing but a clean smell left. No more mold funk. I'm sure there is a better way to do this, but this worked for me.

#180964 - 14/11/06 09:36 PM Re: BAD SMELL
Anonymous
Unregistered

Know anyone that works for an airline? They use to use this concentrated spray between flights that neutralized EVERYTHING. I used it in my Scout after an Atlantic Salt water total submersion.(Long story from another time). There never was any musty odor or anything after using that. cool

#180965 - 15/11/06 05:39 AM Re: BAD SMELL
Anonymous
Unregistered

isnt that commercial spray the same as the ones that theye use on the planes?

#180966 - 16/11/06 04:57 AM Re: BAD SMELL
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it's coming from your AC then grab a can of Lysol and spray it in the intake of the AC system. I did that in my old Toyota Pickup when I first got it. It smelled like a wet dog, after a couple shots of Lysol in the AC the smell went away.

#180967 - 19/11/06 06:50 PM Re: BAD SMELL
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check to make sure your carpets aren't wet. Sometimes these things leak through the grommet that the e-brake cable goes through under your driver's side carpeting. Pull off the plastic step strip (the one that's there with the 4 screws when you open the door)...pull up the carpeting and you'll see the grommet. Spray some water underneath the truck right where the ebrake cable exits to go to the rear of the truck. If you see water coming through that grommet while spraying, that means the seal isn't good. Seal it up with some silicone sealant. Mine was doing that while driving through rain, off road through water and mud, etc....and that was one source of my wet carpeting in the foot wells...producing a mildew/mold/musty type smell. It took care of most of the leaking...I still have another spot that is letting water in, and plan to rectify that soon.

#180968 - 20/11/06 10:02 PM Re: BAD SMELL
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah i use to spray the antibacterial febreeze thru the ac intake and ran the ac on when i had my old jetta. But usually the smell was at the beginning of summer when u first turn on the AC and that nice mold buildup slaps u in the face.

#180969 - 21/11/06 12:47 PM Re: BAD SMELL
GrayHam Offline

Don't let Fried Rice Mofo sit in your truck anymore.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal