Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175789 - 09/10/07 09:38 AM Any way to get the gray bumpers/plastic back to black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an 02 XE. All the plastic on the exterior, bumpers/door moldings, has turned gray from the original black. I can Armor All them and they look great for a week, but eventually they are gray again. Has anyone found a way to dye or stain the plastic so it stays black? Thanks.

#175790 - 09/10/07 10:59 AM Re: Any way to get the gray bumpers/plastic back to black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just painted mine, it looks pretty good

#175791 - 09/10/07 01:51 PM Re: Any way to get the gray bumpers/plastic back to black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's my own answer. Found something called Forever Black. It's a pigmented dye that keeps plastic black for years. There is also a formula for tires. It's available on a lot of websites, and I can't find anything negative so I'm giving it a try. If it doesn't work, it's a $12.00 mistake. Not a big deal.

#175792 - 09/10/07 02:01 PM Re: Any way to get the gray bumpers/plastic back to black?
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Christo,
What year is your X and how long have you been using Forever Black? Have you had to reapply it?

#175793 - 09/10/07 04:42 PM Re: Any way to get the gray bumpers/plastic back to black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try this I've used the original on my 79 Volvo it revitalize rubber and plastic components. Its been reintroduced and I now use it on my 05 Xterra. It's great stuff. Don't use on your interior parts they now have one specifically formulated for interior plastic care.
BLACK AGAIN
INTERRIOR use "NEW AGAIN"
This is the only place that I have found that stocks this product

#175794 - 09/10/07 11:20 PM Re: Any way to get the gray bumpers/plastic back to black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This past weekend I picked up some Meguiar's Back to Black and tried it out on my bumpers, roof rack fairing, door handles and mirrors and I was amazed at how it looks now. Now as for how long it lasts I can't tell you yet but I'm keeping an eye on that part because I'm curious as to how long it will last myself. But it was very simple to do and only took about 20 minutes so if it requires reapplication it's no big deal to me.

#175795 - 10/10/07 07:30 AM Re: Any way to get the gray bumpers/plastic back to black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Back to Black has lasted on my windshield trim for about 3 weeks, and thats with mud, a carwash and tons of wiper fluid hitting it. I really like the Back to Black, and its only 6 bucks a bottle... Cant beat it!

#175796 - 10/10/07 12:39 PM Re: Any way to get the gray bumpers/plastic back to black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ditto on Forever Black. Lasts for months.

#175797 - 10/10/07 02:11 PM Re: Any way to get the gray bumpers/plastic back to black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The one problem with forever black is that it is goopy and kind of hard to apply. It can also leave little lines from when you apply it if you dont do it perfectly. It also kind of permanently changes the trim color to a odd dark gray when it fades away. I would stick with the Back to Black, its quick and like water, so it goes on even and looks fan-friggn' tastic! laugh

#175798 - 12/10/07 05:14 AM Re: Any way to get the gray bumpers/plastic back to black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had no problems applying Forever black. It leaves no lines in my black trim. Makes my trim look brand new. One thing about it I do not have to keep applying it. It lasts a good long time. I use it once a year.

#175799 - 26/10/07 06:43 PM Re: Any way to get the gray bumpers/plastic back to black?
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, I received the Forever Black and applied it to the right side of the rear bumper only as a test. It's a mother to apply. The applicator top doesn't work very well. Once applied it's extremely streaky on large panels like the large panel on the bumper after it wraps around to the wheel well. I had to put 4 coats on and it's still streaky up close. If you're 4-5 feet back, it looks great. I'm not sure I'm ok with that. I don't want streaks. It will look great on small areas like the cowl or body side molding. It is very black and it does look great from a distance. I'm worried about the streaks becoming worse as it fades over time. It'll take 2-3 bottles to do the entire truck. Overall, I'd say I'm mildy disappointed. Average product.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal