Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177312 - 18/06/08 08:41 PM Removing Headlight Trim On 02-04's?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A few weeks ago, I could of sworn I saw a an Xterra with no trim on it's headlights. Even before that, before I knew exactly which one I wanted, I actually perfered the front on the 00-01's, the rounded lights on the 02-04 make it look too "cute", especially the black trim of the SE-S/C on Solar Yellow. I wouldn't mind taking the covers off, make it look more agressive, should look very similar to the Frontier with the lack of trim. I was wondering if anyone has done something like that?

#177313 - 19/06/08 03:21 AM Re: Removing Headlight Trim On 02-04's?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmmm???

If you remove the trim, it will look like two eyes sticking out, it would be an unfinished look. And the Frontiers do have a similar trim, it is just colour coordinated with the body. [Correction]They don't have that trim, but they have larger headlights that cover the area covered by the Xterra trim. I have never seen anybody put Frontier lights on an Xterra, you could see if it fits through denial and error like Ricky from TPB would say.[/Correction]

You could get them colour coordinated with the body and change the logos from Xterra to Riceterra [LOL]

I removed mine to get the front clip off to have easier access to the rad to install my tranny cooler. Just open the hood and you will see the top screw for it and with a long screw driver, you can get to the other screws between the bumper and the trim.

If you want it to look less cute, put an ARB or similar bumper, remove the side steps and put sliders, do a PML, put larger AT tires and a some pine stripes.

#177314 - 19/06/08 03:35 AM Re: Removing Headlight Trim On 02-04's?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Uh oh, a revival of the round vs. square debate? [Uh Oh !]

Just so you know, when he says long screwdriver, he means looooong. I had to go buy one when I took my trim off. My SE had the silver trim, which I thought looked goofy with the rest of the front end being black (or gray or whatever you want to call it). Found someone willing to swap their black XE trim for my SE. Search on this and you should find some threads with advice on removing the trim. IIRC there are some clips you have to be careful with.

Have to agree that leaving the trim off wouldn't scream 'aggressive', it would scream 'body shop didn't quite finish the work'.

#177315 - 19/06/08 06:46 AM Re: Removing Headlight Trim On 02-04's?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, there's a headlight debate, wasn't aware of that. I hope it doesn't turn into a flame war.

Honestly, to me it literally looked like someone put some trim around the stock headlights, I have no idea what is behind that trim and what it would look like; reason why I ask. It seems that what I have imagined is not what it is.

Unfortunately the Frontier has a different shape, wouldn't work without atleast fender and hood work, not worth it IMO

#177316 - 19/06/08 06:51 AM Re: Removing Headlight Trim On 02-04's?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
Oh, there's a headlight debate, wasn't aware of that. I hope it doesn't turn into a flame war.

On XOC? Never! wink

It's all good. It was so long ago I'd be surprised if anybody's still worked up enough to argue, much less flame.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal