Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#673227 - 26/09/10 08:49 AM What brand oil and filter to use.
Todd Bible Offline

Loc: Sweetwater, TN, USA
I am a new Xterra owner......just curious what brand of oil and filter do you guys recommend to use in my Xterra.....it is a 2001 3.3L 4x4....thanks guys!

#673233 - 26/09/10 05:23 PM Re: What brand oil and filter to use. [Re: Todd Bible]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Todd Bible
I am a new Xterra owner......just curious what brand of oil and filter do you guys recommend to use in my Xterra.....it is a 2001 3.3L 4x4....thanks guys!

The synthetic oils are the way to go, I like Mobil1 for example.

For oil filters, The Purolater PureOne, The Mobil1, and the Royal Purple oil filters are good.

The Purolater and Mobil1 are very close, the Royal Purple filter is a smidge better....but, the Purolater filter is ~ $5, the Mobil1 filter is ~ $10, and the Royal Purple filter is ~ $15.

I change every 5k miles.

Any of the above can do that.

Some of the others, like Fram, etc...go to bypass mode too quick, and the oil goes around the filter media instead of through it after very few miles compared to the change interval.

There are other choices of course, but these are ones that are easy to find.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#673234 - 26/09/10 06:16 PM Re: What brand oil and filter to use. [Re: TJ]
Photo Trek Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem NC
I'm with TJ on this one. I use Castrol Syntec, as I have had great luck with that oil in many vehicles, including a 2000 Xterra. I stick with the Nissan filter rather than going aftermarket, partly cause I get a nice discound on over the counter parts at the local dealership.

2000 Solar Yellow Xterra XE....Sold long ago
2010 Night Armor Xterra OR....Current ride
BFG AT KO's

#673341 - 01/10/10 05:10 PM Re: What brand oil and filter to use. [Re: Photo Trek]
Cliff Offline

Loc: Idaho, U.S.A
I am using Mobile1 synthetic oil and the appropriate Purolater filter. Even though the oil is supposed to be good for 5,000 miles I am changing oil every 3,000 miles. I figure it is cheap insurance.

#673343 - 01/10/10 08:06 PM Re: What brand oil and filter to use. [Re: TJ]
GI'sXterra Offline

Originally Posted By: TJ

The synthetic oils are the way to go, I like Mobil1 for example.

For oil filters, The Purolater PureOne, The Mobil1, and the Royal Purple oil filters are good.

The Purolater and Mobil1 are very close, the Royal Purple filter is a smidge better....but, the Purolater filter is ~ $5, the Mobil1 filter is ~ $10, and the Royal Purple filter is ~ $15.

I change every 5k miles.

Any of the above can do that.

Some of the others, like Fram, etc...go to bypass mode too quick, and the oil goes around the filter media instead of through it after very few miles compared to the change interval.

There are other choices of course, but these are ones that are easy to find.

What do you think of the K&N oil filter TJ?

#673344 - 02/10/10 08:40 AM Re: What brand oil and filter to use. [Re: GI'sXterra]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I have never used/cut open a k&n oil filter....so I don't know anything about them.

I do know that when I put a particle counter in the air filter flow...a lot of particles go through.

(Good airflow, poor filtration....)

Oil filtration for them I have no experience though.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#673358 - 04/10/10 02:09 AM Re: What brand oil and filter to use. [Re: TJ]
GI'sXterra Offline

I've used both (oil & Air) and they seem fine, but then again I've never conducted any tests or analyzed either.

If they have good airflow, but poor filtration for air filters, what do you use?

Edited by GI'sXterra (04/10/10 02:11 AM)

#673384 - 05/10/10 01:07 AM Re: What brand oil and filter to use. [Re: Todd Bible]
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida

You should probably use the Nissan OEM oil filter or a Purolator One oil filter.

The brand of oil is up to you.

#673387 - 05/10/10 06:46 AM Re: What brand oil and filter to use. [Re: NY Madman]
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
A great value is to buy a 10-pack of OEM filters from xterraparts.com for $55.

#673458 - 10/10/10 10:00 PM Re: What brand oil and filter to use. [Re: BlueSky]
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Originally Posted By: BlueSky
A great value is to buy a 10-pack of OEM filters from xterraparts.com for $55.

I did that years ago and I still have a couple left smile

Plus they taped a new crush washer to the top of each filter for me. I get Mobile 1 at Costco whenever it comes on sale, but honestly it's probably overkill - any ASE certified oil should be fine, especially as much as enthusiasts like us tend to overchange oil. I just changed it since I'm getting ready to go on a 500 mile trip to Ohio Tuesday. After changing oil on the Miata's the last several oil changes, the Xterra is a breeze - I don't even have to jack it up! Pop a 10mm socket on my drill driver and the skid is off in minutes and the oil filter is hanging right out there and in the open. Sure some oil drips on the sway, but it wipes up in nothing flat.

Heck, changing the oil was almost fun! I'm trying to decide if I want to tackle the antifreeze or not tomorrow. I seem to remember something about some people getting air pockets and having to "burp" the system. I certainly don't want to overheat while on the road! Oh well, off to search some more. Where's Brent when you really need him?

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal