2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#653723 - 23/06/03 11:31 AM Removing the heat shield
Chato Offline

Loc: Orange, Tx
I was told I could use some tin clips or something, but I'm not real sure. I haven't had time to take my X anywhere to have the heat shield looked at (rattling), and I think I would rather just take it off myself rather than have it spot welded back on, just for it to break off again and start rattling a week later.
Has anyone takin their heat shield off, was it difficult, and how do you do it exactly?
Any help would be groooooovy.

Thanks.

#653724 - 23/06/03 03:51 PM Re: Removing the heat shield
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
Use a pair of tin snips, if you have to buy them, remember they come in left and right hand models, made by Wiss.
Going from the back to the front (give or take under the driver's seat.
There is a flange with screws, nibble off one side, then two or three bands that hold the top and bottom of the heat shield, then another flange with screws. (I'm doing this by memory) Just follow the exhaust pipe, and then snake out the shield.
Maybe 10 minutes, rather simple.

#653725 - 23/06/03 08:30 PM Re: Removing the heat shield
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I had a little trouble with the one on the driver's side (I think?) that had a hole in it for the Oxygen sensor. I didn't want to mess with the sensor so I clipped around it and that took a bit of effort due to the lack of room up in there. Otherwise the whole procedure was rather simple.

#653726 - 24/06/03 06:22 AM Re: Removing the heat shield
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Another way is if you have a Dremel then you could bend it down with a set of pliers and use the Dremel to cut the areas it's conected to the truck,this way you don't have to buy a set of tin snips...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal