Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#650200 - 07/09/03 05:13 PM Looks like gum
ccspelman Offline

Loc: el paso, texas and connecticut
Okay, please bear with me, it was my first time going under my x!

I went under because next weekend I am going to attempt my first oil change. So I was locating the filter and all that good stuff.

At the place where I drain the oil.. around the screw there was this red gum like substance. I have gotten all of my oil changes done at my dealership. Why did they put that there? Does anyone know what it could be? (Oh, and it is only around half of the screw).

Thanks for any help!

#650201 - 07/09/03 05:43 PM Re: Looks like gum
ChrisNYC Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New Yawk
If you are absolutely sure that you are looking at the oil pan drain plug, the red stuff might be some sort of sealant to keep oil from leaking around the threads. The oil drain shouldn't need sealant though; there is a copper crush washer on the drain plug that is supposed to do this. It is meant to be replaced every other oil change or so, but some people just reuse the same one.

#650202 - 07/09/03 06:43 PM Re: Looks like gum
ccspelman Offline

Loc: el paso, texas and connecticut
Yeah, I remember reading some posts that said the washer gets replaced like every other oil change. I guess I should just confront my dealership about it and see what they say. It seems a little weird.

Thanks!

#650203 - 07/09/03 08:44 PM Re: Looks like gum
Anonymous
Unregistered

No worries... it is just to seal it. On my old vehicles sometimes I would get red... sometimes I would get a blue. No biggie.

#650204 - 07/09/03 10:46 PM Re: Looks like gum
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
It's just some RTV. Techs will use it sometime to make sure it doesn't leak (or if they don't have the washers...).

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal