2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#656187 - 21/04/04 02:39 PM CALMINI Steering Question?
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
All right, I just got back from putting the CALMINI steering upgrade system on the X. The alignment is tomorrow but I've pretty much got the wheels straight (at least to my eyes).

Is this normal for the tie rod connectors?
Driver side:

Passenger side:

See the difference in thread length. Is this typical?

#656188 - 21/04/04 02:53 PM Re: CALMINI Steering Question?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
It's typical if you went by the measurement in the instructions. You need to measure the distance between the pitman and idler shafts, and use that instead.

#656189 - 21/04/04 04:29 PM Re: CALMINI Steering Question?
Snoopy Offline

CALMINI's 30 5/8" EXACTLY measurement isn't right? What measurement are folks using?

I'm getting 31 1/2" from idler bolt center to pitman bolt center. Is that more appropriate?

This PAST POST seems to make more sense now.

Damn you CALMINI, why can't they just tell us to ensure the measurement is the same as the distance between idler and pitman bolthole centers? Wasting my time mad

Next question: Do you think it's worth fixing?

#656190 - 21/04/04 04:40 PM Re: CALMINI Steering Question?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, it's worth fixing. If you don't then your steering will react differently left to right; not to mention having one link long like that makes it more prone to getting bent or broken. Your measurement sounds about right. I think mine was just a little less than 31-1/2, but it was right around there. I'm surprised Calmini hasn't fixed the directions yet!

#656191 - 21/04/04 04:43 PM Re: CALMINI Steering Question?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine was just over 31 1/2. I think all trucks are slightly different. The tie-rods should be just about the same # of threads on both sides, or like ChuckH said it will steer different. Good luck.

#656192 - 21/04/04 04:44 PM Re: CALMINI Steering Question?
Snoopy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
I'm surprised Calmini hasn't fixed the directions yet!
You’d think that something as important as the STEERING SYSTEM would rate some better attention.

#656193 - 21/04/04 05:15 PM Re: CALMINI Steering Question?
Snoopy Offline

Just got off the phone with David at CALMINI. "Sorry sir, we print up 200 of those instructions and we'd have to pen and ink change them all."

Damn...C'mon what would be so hard about adding a revision page to the instructions with the correct center link measurements. CRAP excuse! DAVE IT'S A STEERING SYSTEM. IT'S TOO IMPORTANT NOT TO CHANGE THE INSTRUCTIONS.

#656194 - 21/04/04 11:05 PM Re: CALMINI Steering Question?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Now Snoopy... if you would have searched first... laugh

At least it's an easy fix. Just pop the center link tierod out of the idler arm side and extend it about a half inch, then take up the slack on the other end (another half inch, good to have both of the centerlink tierods showing identical threads), then put it back together and shorten the passenger side tierod assembly.

#656195 - 22/04/04 03:35 PM Re: CALMINI Steering Question?
Snoopy Offline

All right...The center-link is now 31 5/16" long and the tie-rod connector have about 5 threads showing on each side. Good to go and it only cost me about an hour to fix.

Getting the alignment was interesting enough:

Me: I need an alignment on the front of my truck. Do you have time today?
NEX Auto Shop: Sure we can fit you in.
Me: Great! How much is an alignment for the front end?
NEX Auto Shop: (laughing) We only have alignments for all four tires. It's $54.99
Me: (sarcastic) Wow, all four tires! Please explain how you’re going to align the rear of my Xterra? It's a leaf spring solid axle type suspension.
NEX Auto Shop: Uhmmm, let me check with the technician...
NEX Auto Shop: (after returning from the garage) Yes sir, It will be $39.99 for your alignment.
Me: :rolleyes:

So, I wonder, how many people are being charged the full alignment prices that don't know any better?

Thanks to XOC, ChuckH, and others for the quick response. The forum has really been valuable [ThumbsUp]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal