Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#519374 - 16/03/05 08:00 AM C&D mid-size SUV showdown...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Prior to the new X coming out, I was considering a Toyota 4Runner. I spent a lot of time browsing on one of their sites. Needless to say over there right now, they are livid about this month’s next to last 5th place finish of Toyota SE 4-Runner April C&D review of mid-size SUV. The Jeep GC got 1st, followed by the Pathfinder.

Although not exactly in the same class and not far off either, I think the ’05 X would have done very well in that same test. The only reason I bring this up is that a lot of negative things that C&D mention about the T4R (low seating, no head room etc.), are some of the reasons why I ended scratching the T4R off my list. Not to mention the huge price differences between the X & T4R (easily 5-6k). And after 3 years, the T4R still have a few issues. The new Tacoma has also hit a few bumps in the road too.

#519375 - 16/03/05 08:29 AM Re: C&D mid-size SUV showdown...
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
I actually had the same thoughts... wow, the 4R came in 5th! And the Montero (beast) actually did better than the 4R.

If the X were in the same catagory (price) it probably could have taken the JGC down.

Lots of laughs... but don't get too cocky and go posting stuff on their boards and bring a huge influx of pissed T4R over here.

#519376 - 16/03/05 08:52 AM Re: C&D mid-size SUV showdown...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by fastdrmr:
Lots of laughs... but don't get too cocky and go posting stuff on their boards and bring a huge influx of pissed T4R over here.
Oh heavens no they are a proud bunch, that would be like walking into a rats nest.

Besides, I never registered with that forum.

#519377 - 16/03/05 09:24 AM Re: C&D mid-size SUV showdown...
fastdrmr Offline

OK... post a link.

If anyone goes over there to talk smack... I will make sure your XOC account becomes deactivated... no extra fights needed. Just want to keep up with that article and the 4R bunch.

#519378 - 16/03/05 09:35 AM Re: C&D mid-size SUV showdown...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
OK... post a link.

If anyone goes over there to talk smack... I will make sure your XOC account becomes deactivated... no extra fights needed. Just want to keep up with that article and the 4R bunch.
OK you asked for it...

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=53f41bdc4b9c8c3ca84637dc967a074a&threadid=9251

I just enjoyed reading their rants, there were some good & bad points. Being ranked next to a Ford Explorer was just more than some could take.

#519379 - 16/03/05 10:33 AM Re: C&D mid-size SUV showdown...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Car & Driver That says it all guys don't diss the 4Runner look at what beat it out in there books Montero Give me a fricken break take both those suv's offroad and 4Runner will beat it at everything except for pavement.
Car and Driver base there results which SUV performs better onroad don't go and slam an suv based on Car testing People. I thought everyone knew this.
I don't own a 4Runner but I had a new one for a week and that SUV can do quite allot offroad and compared to the Montero there should be no comparison. It's pretty easy to tell that they never really took them off the pavement.Gravel Roads don't count!
You want to look at stats on reports, 4wheeler magazine tests there Suv's they get offroad. After test driving the new Pathy on some back trails and having that 4runner for a week.
I would definately take the runner!!

#519380 - 16/03/05 11:54 AM Re: C&D mid-size SUV showdown...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Outback:
After test driving the new Pathy on some back trails and having that 4runner for a week.
I would definately take the runner!!
What about an X vs. 4R? Assuming you would have to dole out an extra $5-6k.

#519381 - 16/03/05 12:20 PM Re: C&D mid-size SUV showdown...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well this month or next month I will be laying down some money on the new X. FYI so far I have the dealers down 3400 cad off MSRP this is for an Offroad PKG. So I can pick an Offroad pkg with auto tranni up for the same prics as an S X. The 4Runner here is 44,900 compared to the X now my price at 34,443 10 g's less.
I like the new X better then the $Runner tested it out 2 test drives so far on the X but since it is still winter here I have yet to take it offroad just minor backroads and small hills which don't count. This again is why I am waiting as at the end of this month or into next month the slop will be just great and I can take it for a real drive! This drive will be the final test then I will buy it.
[ThumbsUp]

#519382 - 16/03/05 12:25 PM Re: C&D mid-size SUV showdown...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
That's almost a challenge...

#519383 - 16/03/05 01:23 PM Re: C&D mid-size SUV showdown...
fastdrmr Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Quote:
[b]If anyone goes over there to talk smack... I will make sure your XOC account becomes deactivated... no extra fights needed. Just want to keep up with that article and the 4R bunch.
That's almost a challenge...[/b]
And you could be the first one to be dismissed! wink

Really, this has happened before with Pirate, Escapes, etc... so you are walking on this ice if you think you can be bigger than the rule. Need I get Mr. Admin to publicly back me up?

Thanks for playing nice!

#519384 - 16/03/05 02:28 PM Re: C&D mid-size SUV showdown...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since I don’t own either the X or 4R, and not being bias toward either Nissan or Toyota (in the past I’ve own a sedan of each). I feel that the X has a lot to offer for less money.

Toyotas are great vehicles, but I'm not sure they are worth the extra money you have to spend to get one. Plus I hate how Toyota package/option out the 4R. Here in my neck of the woods, (except for the stripped loss-leader) just about every 4R comes with sunroof, running boards, useless cargo double-decker, Dunlops tires, basically about 3k added on to the MSRP. The 30k V6 SE are on the lot for 33k, V8 are 35k.

I test drove an X fully load SE @29k (aside from not liking the side steps) compared to the 33k 4R I thought it was a good value. And that is before I figured I could get the dealer down to the 27k invoice price.

#519385 - 16/03/05 02:50 PM Re: C&D mid-size SUV showdown...
Anonymous
Unregistered

:rolleyes:
Quote:
Car & Driver That says it all guys don't diss the 4Runner look at what beat it out in there books Montero Give me a fricken break take both those suv's offroad and 4Runner will beat it at everything except for pavement.
Uh, yeah. Mitsubishi has won Paris-Dakar the last 5 years... [Save the fine unicorns]

#519386 - 16/03/05 03:24 PM Re: C&D mid-size SUV showdown...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Desert Running
Then add some aftermarket equipment and most importantly hats off To the Driver!!!

#519387 - 16/03/05 04:02 PM Re: C&D mid-size SUV showdown...
Anonymous
Unregistered

C&D are Jeep friendly, The Hemi fuel mileage, like most other Dodge/Jeep products is pretty unbearable if you ask me. The Pathfinder was the clear champ. Leather, Moonroof, and 270 hp for the lowest price with some of the best fuel mileage? Pretty hard to beat. I was surprized that the Explorer faired as well as it did, it completed the run. The Explorer is a super on-road value, but the one that I traded in for my X was stuck in our yard after just a little snow.
Congreds to Jeep...I guess.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal