2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#508623 - 09/02/06 01:16 PM AC lift kit pre-purchase questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

First, thanks to everyone for providing such informative, professional, and mature replies. I have had an opportunity to observe some real cat fights at other sites.

Anyway, with a new 2006 OR somewhere in transit, and wanting to replace the stock tires with a set of 285R75, I am interested in the 1.5" AC lift kit.

Now, after reading all the posts on this topic, I still have a few questions. Please comment as appropriate:

1) With the 1.5" AC lift kit it does not appear that I will be REQUIRED to extend the brake lines.

2) It also does not appear that I will be REQUIRED to purchase new rear shocks unless I anticipate serious off roading.

3) Finally, to just get a bit of extra lift for those tires, and only expecting to do easy-to-moderate offroading, should I purchase the AAL or shackle option for the stern-side?

Again, thanks in advance for everyone's help.

#508624 - 09/02/06 01:21 PM Re: AC lift kit pre-purchase questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoBudDog:
First, thanks to everyone for providing such informative, professional, and mature replies. I have had an opportunity to observe some real cat fights at other sites.

This site is pretty good.

Anyway, with a new 2006 OR somewhere in transit, and wanting to replace the stock tires with a set of 285R75, I am interested in the 1.5" AC lift kit.
The AC lift kit is actually a 3" kit
Now, after reading all the posts on this topic, I still have a few questions. Please comment as appropriate:

1) With the 1.5" AC lift kit it does not appear that I will be REQUIRED to extend the brake lines.
Correct with the 3" shackle lift you do not have to extend the brake lines. With the AAL you can just relocate them, or buy extended lines.
2) It also does not appear that I will be REQUIRED to purchase new rear shocks unless I anticipate serious off roading.
Correct again. The new rear shocks are only if you really want to do some wheeling and you need maximum articulation.
3) Finally, to just get a bit of extra lift for those tires, and only expecting to do easy-to-moderate offroading, should I purchase the AAL or shackle option for the stern-side?
The shackle lift seems to be the lift without any vibration issues. Plus your 285/75 tires will fit without the lift you just need to heat the plastic up on the wheel wheel liners a little and "massage it".
Again, thanks in advance for everyone's help.[/qb]

#508625 - 09/02/06 01:28 PM Re: AC lift kit pre-purchase questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everything Slater said is correct except that the AC Shackle lift is infact 1.5" in rear (2.5" front). The AC AAL lift is 2.5" rear (2.5" front).

#508626 - 09/02/06 07:36 PM Re: AC lift kit pre-purchase questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't want to hack the tread but I have a question on the same line:
I've been told that the "Shackle lift" in general is accelerating the sagging of the OEM leafs.
Is that correct? What's your opinion?

Thanks!

#508627 - 09/02/06 07:48 PM Re: AC lift kit pre-purchase questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Time for 2 cents. Put 285/75/16 toyos on about 3 weeks ago no issues except small rub fixed with hairdryer. Installed AC lift today with AAL no issues "read no vibration", price for spring mount, adjuster install and alignment $100 even. I installed leafs myself. I removed brake sensors from first mounting tab no problem shocks and brakelines in the mail. $23000 dollar vehicle do it right. :p :p :p :p

#508628 - 09/02/06 10:32 PM Re: AC lift kit pre-purchase questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about this Q?

Would you be able to throw an AAL AC lift in an X that has a DayStar 2" Spacer / Shackle lift?

What do some of you think about this being that it would be my next option down the road if I wanted more lift?

#508629 - 09/02/06 10:45 PM Re: AC lift kit pre-purchase questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

no you cannot because the UCA on the front contacts the spring perch or somthing like that. but i know that it doesn't work. search for greg05x, cause he tried.

#508630 - 09/02/06 10:53 PM Re: AC lift kit pre-purchase questions
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Slow down kids... too much new lingo is not helping here.

The spring perch is on the rear. The UCA (Upper Control Arm) is in the front.

His question is one that involves adding 2 lift kits to the rear... the shackle lift and the AAL (add a leaf). His biggest problem in the rear is going to be brake line extensions, and oh... the fact that he will have 4.5" to 5" in the rear and only 2.5" in the front. That kinda looks goofy.

Do 1 lift at a time... wait till the next lift is worked out... and it probably won't be. You can't mix the front spacer and coil replacement and make it work. The rear is exactly how you get to the 5" of lift... but the front is the tougher situation. It will take a drop kit like the one Calmini is showing or the more extensive kit that SLR is showing.

Good luck! I'm patiently waiting... wink

#508631 - 10/02/06 03:49 AM Re: AC lift kit pre-purchase questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

About the rear OEM leafs sagging. I truefully don't think anyone has had the lift on longer than 3 months and I doubt they have sagged since then. I figure if they do that gives me a good excuse to get the AAL in the rear.

#508632 - 10/02/06 04:38 AM Re: AC lift kit pre-purchase questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by eXTra-fORt:
Don't want to hack the tread but I have a question on the same line:
I've been told that the "Shackle lift" in general is accelerating the sagging of the OEM leafs.
Is that correct? What's your opinion?

Thanks!
It is really impossible for the longer shackle to fatigue the spring pack at a faster rate. The only think that flattens the spring pack is time and abuse, they naturally flatten (load weight, constantly flexing) but as for a shackle increasing the fatigue all on its own, it isn't gonna happen.

Advantages to the shackle set up:
--Ease of install compared to AAL
--longer droop of rear wheel
--no need for brake extensions
--No rear axle vibrations
Advantages to AAL set up:
--Stiffer rear end
--less sag when towing and carrying more weight
--eliminates bottoming out

As of right now with the need for either some shims or an improvement for the driveline angles I would go shackle till this is resolved. MY $.02

#508633 - 10/02/06 05:08 AM Re: AC lift kit pre-purchase questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

One more advantage of the AAL is more lift in the rear.

#508634 - 10/02/06 07:12 AM Re: AC lift kit pre-purchase questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Gbizzle for the reply smile

I'll probably go down the schackle route. Safer solution until the "vibration" issue is solved.

1½" lift is fine with me, it's 50% more travel for the axle before hitting the (poorly design) bump stop. As stated, worst come to worst, i'll do the AAL later.

Also, there are some "sensitive butts" in the household, I don't think they would appreciate the AAL stiffer rear end :rolleyes:

Have a very good day!

#508635 - 10/02/06 09:04 AM Re: AC lift kit pre-purchase questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm gonna go with the Shackle option simply to fix the damn bottoming out problem. Don't really want to put to much of a lift on her, being my daily driver with mostly freeway miles.

So this 'Vibration Problem' of which people speak, this is with the AAL???

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal