Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#514839 - 20/03/06 01:42 PM Lifts??? Im a noob.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, on my 06 OR 4x4, i want to lift it like 2-3 inches for better approach and departure angles and for more height, eventually for bigger tires. Iv seen a lot of suspension stuff out there.

1st- I saw a body lift, and it looked gay. the frame was still low but the rest was high. whats the diff. in a sus. lift and a body lift?

2- i dont know much at all about cars or how to do anything on them, and i dont have a ton of money (im 16).

3- what is the best??? spacers, longer springs, shackles, add a lead, blah blah. i dont know.

4- who makes the best? Daystar, calmini, spencer low racing, AC????

5- will this stuff mess up my car? calmini says ill need a front end alignment, whats that?

6- pretty much any help on the issue of suspention lift componets would be nice. thanks

#514840 - 20/03/06 02:16 PM Re: Lifts??? Im a noob.
Anonymous
Unregistered

No matter the suspension lift, you can still only fit 33's. So lifting it 2-3" will not allow for larger tires.

1. A body lift does just what it says. It lifts the body (and only the body). AC currently makes a 3" body lift for the new X's. The reason to lift just the body is to allow bigger tires. I am not sure what will fir with the 3" body lift of the new X. It's been said a fe times that with the new X's you don't want to go over 33's because of the weak axles.

2. Learn and get a job. Cars are not cheap and the more you can do yourself the better off you are.

3. Spacers drop down your existing front shock shocks. They seem to cause a problem with the upper control arm hitting the shock mount. Longer coils just extend the shocks to their max length. The only downside I can see to this is possibly premature wear on the shocks. Shackles are for the rear leaf springs. This drops the back side of the springs down and give you lift. It also give the wheel more room to travel (given you are not limited by your rear shocks). Add a Leaf is for the rear. It adds an additional leaf to the spring pack. This leaf is usually arched more than the stock and there for lifts the rear end. It also causes a firmer ride.

4. That is personal preference between Calmini and Daystar. Then it's personal theory between the rest. I have the AC lift and like it. If I had the money and they would release it, I think the 5" SLR is the best setup, but it's also slated to be $3500+.

5. All lifts will require an alignment. This when you take it to the shop (Firestone had lifetime alignement) and they adjust the front tires so they are straight again. When you lift the angle of the tires get thrown off. There are three angles to adjust (Camber, Caster and Tow-in/Tow-out).

6. Pick one, buy it, look here on XOC for help on how to put it on. If you pick the Calmini spacer lift or the Daystar lift you can do everything with just a few simple hand tools. If you choose the AC lift you will want to take it to a shop and have them put the springs on (but you can do everything eles with the same tools as the other lift). If you wait for the SLR or Calmini 5" lift. You might want to ask someone to come come over and help you as it'll be quite a project.

#514841 - 20/03/06 03:08 PM Re: Lifts??? Im a noob.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Before you even begin to ask questions, to a ton of searches on this website to try to get some sort of basic understanding of what the different options are and what all the terminology and parts are (i.e. what and where an upper control arm is, etc) It's really not that hard to pick up on all that stuff, and once you have more specific questions, it is alot easier to find out what you wanna do. I started modifying my first car when I was about your age,too, and it takes alot of money...so just like muzikman said, you need to find a job. It gets addicting btw. If you just want a small lift that doesnt take alot of extra modification, get the daystar or AC lifts with the shackles. good luck.

edit: and unless you have a fully qualified person who knows about cars, do not even try to install it yourself...take it too a shop.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal