2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#511804 - 29/03/06 04:24 PM hand brake/stress bars?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm looking to replace the lovely all plastic hand brake tip does anyone have any links?

Is anyone making stress bars for the Xterra...ie to connect the strut mounts in the engine bay and possibley one for the truck to reduce body flex? I know they're usually for cars but I think it would help out on the X as well....

#511805 - 29/03/06 04:31 PM Re: hand brake/stress bars?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I haven't seen the struts in the engine bay of the new X's...there are none in the 1st gen X's.

A bar's a bar though, if you measure the distance and diameter of what you are attaching to, I'm sure its an easy fab job.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#511806 - 29/03/06 04:34 PM Re: hand brake/stress bars?
Anonymous
Unregistered

now, i don't know that much about stress bars..but i thought they were usually to stiffen up the chassis of a unibody car. plus, we already have sway bars in the front and rear connecting suspension->frame.

i wouldn't think putting a stress bar inside the truck would do you much good.

#511807 - 29/03/06 09:10 PM Re: hand brake/stress bars?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by lj1983:
now, i don't know that much about stress bars..but i thought they were usually to stiffen up the chassis of a unibody car. plus, we already have sway bars in the front and rear connecting suspension->frame.

i wouldn't think putting a stress bar inside the truck would do you much good.
perfect. it wouldn't help us because we have the body on frame.
you'll notic that on cars, the struts mount straight to the body
while, our struts bolt directly to the frame.
its not an easy FAB job. it would have been done by now. the biggest thing from connecting the 2 strut towers in the front(engine bay) is that we have the whole engine in the way. wont be able to go around it, too much work, and if we did design one, the bar would be so bent that it wont make a difference.
notice those strut tower bars are for the most part straight and or creat a triangle w/ the firewall.
the best thing or easiest thing to fab would be some bars to connect the a arms or lca or the ifs together.
or make some bars to stiffen the frame up some more. as in under the body, i would think that some tuff skid plates would do the same. (not as much but still do the trick)
some bars can also be welded on to the rear axle and to the frame, but then we would lost quite a bit of articulation.
if u want ur car to handle better, just go buy some poly urethane bushings, they help turn-in alot, but also makes the ride really ruff.
i like it in my weekend warriors, but not on the x

#511808 - 30/03/06 05:40 AM Re: hand brake/stress bars?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by cbell:
I'm looking to replace the lovely all plastic hand brake tip does anyone have any links?
I replace my hand brake on my X. What a bitch! I ended up cutting it out with a Dremel. Not for the faint of heart.

#511809 - 30/03/06 12:45 PM Re: hand brake/stress bars?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the posts....still new in the truck world...used to driving slammed German cars....still amazing how little is out for the new X's....

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal