Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#523150 - 27/07/06 06:43 PM 2005 tow hitch recall
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey just wondering if anyone else experienced this. I noticed there is a Nissan recall for certain tow hitches on the 05 that fall within a certain range of vin numbers according to the recall notice. I checked the model number of the tow hitch and the vin and my 05 is in the catagory for a replacement hitch. However, when I took it into the dealer where I purchased the Xterra, I was advised my vehicle was not listed on "service com" for a replacement hitch. So I called Nissan USA, they advised me to go back to the dealer and have them replace the hitch since my X falls into the group of vehicles that need to have the Vally Industries hitch replaced. Back I go... Again no deal. I call Nissan USA back, they advise that the recall is vin specific and only vehicles with certain vin numbers within that range are being recalled. Anyone heard Different?

#523151 - 27/07/06 07:14 PM Re: 2005 tow hitch recall
Anonymous
Unregistered

Someone will correct me if I am wrong:

If your vehicle's vin number falls with in the ones that are recalled then you have a right to get it replaced. Ask Nissan if you could print out anything to show your dealership, if not call Nissan while you are at the dealership, and if that doesn't work go to a different dealership and get it replaced. I believe you can have it done at any dealership.

#523152 - 27/07/06 07:34 PM Re: 2005 tow hitch recall
Anonymous
Unregistered

Holy crap! They still haven't straightened this out!!??

Did you talk to the service manager, or just the one of the service writers? When I had mine done, the service writer said it wasn't in the computer, then they said it was but did the wrong repair (replaced the "defective" harness, which was a different recall, but i had done the grounding check and it was fine). Back the third time, the service manager came out of his office, knew exactly what was going on, got the hitch replaced, and yelled at the service writer who screwed it up. (yeah, I've posted this before for those of you who are feeling a little deva-vu)

If you search you'll find out about all sorts of fun we've had with the mismanagement of this recall.

I believe the bottom line is:
If your hitch is part # 999T5-KR100, it potentially has bad welds and needs to be replaced.

If your hitch is part # 999T5-KR200, you're all set - Tow on!

Note: It's not as simple as the VIN#. If you bought the hitch as an accessory, (it was not factory installed), they will have no record that your vehicle's VIN # has the bad hitch. The dealer will replace the KR100 with the KR200 for free regardless of where you bought the hitch (I got mine from Courtesy Parts, and the dealer finally replaced it free.)

#523153 - 28/07/06 10:05 PM Re: 2005 tow hitch recall
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info05_X

I am going to print out everything I have to show them. I do have the KR100 tow rig and when I purchased my X new it was already installed. This kind of ordeal is pretty fustrating and is the kind of thing that drives customers away. I also own a 04 Maxima and was thinking of purchasing a Frontier for the son. But with this kind treatment, I am thinking Tacoma now.

#523154 - 29/07/06 10:27 AM Re: 2005 tow hitch recall
Anonymous
Unregistered

When we purchased our 05, all the vehicles on the lot had had their reciver hitches removed. Salesman said there was a recall and all the hitches were being replaced under a recall. after our purchase we had the new hitch installed within a month.... no problem. As for the weather mirror....thats a different story.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal