Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#657104 - 23/09/06 12:43 PM Damn T-bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hate doing anything with torsion bars. Everytime I have dealt with them, it has been a problem for me.

Also, I know this has been discussed many times,but I need some help, I have done this several times before, but I'm stuck now.

I am replacing my torsion bars as my passenger side Calmini t-bar got bent on a rock.

I have the rear anchors off. Both t-bars are stuck on the front anchors and I cannot get them out. I have loosened two of the three bolts on the front anchors: on each side, the upper small nut is stripped and I can't get it loose, but the other two are loose. I think this is enough to take the pressure off. Also, I hate to cut those bolts off, because the only way to get to them, as I see, is to remove the LCA's

So, here's where I am, two t-bars stuck in the LCA's hanging freely in the back.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

#657105 - 23/09/06 12:52 PM Re: Damn T-bars
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Scott have you tried any heat and a BFH? That's always worked for me.

#657106 - 23/09/06 01:44 PM Re: Damn T-bars
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
If I am reading this right, the front anchors are still attached to the LCA's, and because of the stripped nuts you cannot get them off of the LCA's - is that correct?

Can you get a pair of water pump pliers on the stripped nuts to get the front anchors off? Can you get a nut splitter onto the stripped nuts?

#657107 - 23/09/06 04:16 PM Re: Damn T-bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Channel locks...no, not enough grip. Tried the BFH and not enough room for my nut splitter.

I'm going to try to get some of those sockets that you can put on rounded bolts tomorrow and try that. I would use a cold chisle, but if I screw up the threads, the only way to get the bolt out is to drop the LCA.

Time for this. [drink]

#657108 - 23/09/06 04:51 PM Re: Damn T-bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Daggerdoggie:

I have the rear anchors off. I think this is enough to take the pressure off.
if you have the rear anchors off (adjusters), then there should be no pressure. i'm confused.

#657109 - 23/09/06 04:55 PM Re: Damn T-bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

did you try putting vise grips on the tbar and then bfh'ing the vise grips. thats what i did at ecxc with that one canuck's tbar that stripped out.

#657110 - 23/09/06 05:21 PM Re: Damn T-bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by steelX:
Quote:
Originally posted by Daggerdoggie:
[b]

I have the rear anchors off. I think this is enough to take the pressure off.
if you have the rear anchors off (adjusters), then there should be no pressure. i'm confused.[/b]
So am I, that's why I posted.

Quote:
Originally posted by steelX:
did you try putting vise grips on the tbar and then bfh'ing the vise grips. thats what i did at ecxc with that one canuck's tbar that stripped out.
Tried that too, but hit it hard, have not banged the crap out of it.

#657111 - 23/09/06 05:24 PM Re: Damn T-bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

just trying to help man. the only time ive seen that happen is when the tbar is stripped in the anchor. i think you have no choice but to cut the bolt off, and use a 3 prong puller to seperate the tbar from the anchor.

#657112 - 23/09/06 05:29 PM Re: Damn T-bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, I didn't mean to be sarcastic; I appreciate the help. I just don't understand. I've had problems in the past getting the ajusters off. I had to take off the crossmember. They should just pull out of the front anchors the way they are now, but they are locked in. [Crybaby]

#657113 - 23/09/06 06:29 PM Re: Damn T-bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

rust is a bitch. i helped once with a 3 inch lift were we had to replace tbars and they would not come off unless i removed the anchor and used a 3 prong puller to seperate the tbar from the front anchor...

#657114 - 24/09/06 08:19 AM Re: Damn T-bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I got one side out. It's a 14mm head and I hammered on a 13mm impact socked and got it off. I haven't tried the other side yet...enjoying my momentary success.

The t-bar is siezed into the anchor still. I put those on and used never-seize and grease, thinking they would never fuse. Damn salt. I even soaked it with PB blaster for the past week. Tried a three-jaw puller, to no avail yet, but I have it soaking now. I think I will order new anchors anyway to be safe and have spares.

Now, wish me luck on the other side. [Freak]

#657115 - 24/09/06 10:57 AM Re: Damn T-bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Done! laugh

#657116 - 24/09/06 02:15 PM Re: Damn T-bars
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Good deal Scott.

We have the same problem with Mike's frontier.. [Freak]

#657117 - 24/09/06 05:55 PM Re: Damn T-bars
Anonymous