Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#521157 - 26/09/06 08:43 PM Programming New Key
Anonymous
Unregistered

My wife misplaced her key and keyfob a few weeks back and they havene't made their way back. So, here is what has happened so far. I checked with the dealer and was quoted $135 for key fob ($113 at Courtesy Parts). However, I found the key fob online at e-bay for $16.95! Yes, that's right--$16.95 and I got it this week and it matches my old one perfectly including part numbers and yes it is new! I was so pumped!

Anyway, I ordered they key blanks from Courtesy Pats at around $13 each--I ordered two. I still have my original key but want one extra after my wife has hers so this doesn't happen again.

Anyway, here is my question. The key fob comes with instruction and I can reprogram this myself. However, the new keys need to be cut which could be done by a keysmith but the problem comes with reprogramming that key. I think this is where I am stuck.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as if there is a way to program the transponder in the new keys it would be cool to do it myself not just to save money but because it is fun to learn something new.

Any ideas? Complaints...random thoughts?

#521158 - 27/09/06 04:55 AM Re: Programming New Key
Anonymous
Unregistered

You need the Nissan's Consult-II machine in order to program the keys. So, you can only do it at the dealer. You'll need all your keys so in order to program. Costs about $80 to program.

#521159 - 27/09/06 06:56 AM Re: Programming New Key
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for the quick reply--much appreciated! I will call and make an appointment today to put an end to the lost key saga.

#521160 - 27/09/06 09:41 PM Re: Programming New Key
Anonymous
Unregistered

One last post for an update. Took the Xterra to the dealer today and since I had all they key blanks ready to go it was only $48 for labor to have two keys cut and programmed. That seemed fair to me--glad to have a spare key again. smile

Thanks again!

John

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal