Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#509917 - 05/02/07 05:51 PM Oil level?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I'm doing my 2nd oil change on the '06. Last time (first change on the X) I went with Mobil 1 synth and a K&N oil filter. Reading more here, I decided to use the Nissan filter this time.

Anyway, I'm topping off the oil now, and the manual states it needs 5 3/8 qt with filter change. I've just added a little over 5 1/2 qt, and while it's close to the "H" dot, it's not there yet. Last time, just under 5 1/2 qt did the trick. Both filters have anti-drainback valves in them, and I've run the engine to circulate the oil.

FWIW, I didn't seem to use a drop of oil over the last change. laugh

The manual says as long as the oil level's between the dots, I'm good, but what's "right"?

Edit: I just now saw the BIG BOLD TEXT above the capacities table saying: "The following are approximate capacities. The actual refill capacities may be a little different."

So since between the dots is considered "ok", I've let a little out so that it's just below the "H" dot.

What is everyone else filling to?

#509918 - 06/02/07 07:12 AM Re: Oil level?
Anonymous
Unregistered

As with all cars that I have ever changed oil in. I fill it so that the oil is just before the full line. I don't care what the manual says is the correct amount. One thing you need to do to be accurate is let the new oil settle. It has a long trip from the fill hole to the oil pan.

#509919 - 06/02/07 07:57 AM Re: Oil level?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I usually add about 5 1/4 quarts, run the engine for a short trip around town, let it settle overnight and then fill as close as I can to the top dot without going over. Doesn't it feel good to run synthetic? I'm sure it makes my X engine smoother even if it is the placebo effect.

#509920 - 06/02/07 06:00 PM Re: Oil level?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, so I've done essentially the same thing. As the manual says, the amounts are approximate, and with the Nissan filter, it looks like 5 1/2 quarts does the trick. After my initial fill, it was at the dot, and being über-paranoid, I let a little out so it's just below that. Nissan says between the dots is acceptable, and I'd prefer to be on the high side of that, so it's all good.

Synthetic is cheap insurance I figure. It's not like it costs much more, and we plan to have the truck a good long time, so if that's what it takes, fine. If it's of no value, I'm not hurting anything. Win-win.

Still idles a bit rough sitting at a light, but I'll have the dealer look at it the next time I bring it in for the rear axle whine that's still there (but much quieter since they topped off the diff fluid).

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal