Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#517503 - 06/03/07 09:53 AM Who makes a roof rack for 2nd Gen.?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone make a roof rack for the 2nd Gen. Xterra that will replace the factory tubes? I checked with Calmini and with Gobi, and they both told me that they should have something later this year.
I have a Yakima rack, but I can't clear the garage door with the rack on. Fabricating one is not an option, as I have no equipment for that.

#517504 - 06/03/07 12:41 PM Re: Who makes a roof rack for 2nd Gen.?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A local fab shop has my stock rack and is looking to see how viable a Gobi style rack would be to make. He seems to think it's doable and for around the Calmini price, but he won't know for sure until he actually gets into the process.

#517505 - 06/03/07 02:27 PM Re: Who makes a roof rack for 2nd Gen.?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Instead of a full rack replacement, on this X, I'm having a "box" attachment done up to attach to the OE rack. (I actually like the style of the Gen2 rack..) Hi-lift, fuel storage, and reverse lights of course will be integrated into that. 4 forward facing lights on the "junk drawer" will top it off. Should be sweet.. [Smoking]

#517506 - 06/03/07 02:48 PM Re: Who makes a roof rack for 2nd Gen.?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That was the original idea. Then he looked at the rack when I got to his place and said...I could build you an entire new rack I bet. I sent him links to Calmini and Gobi and he went to work. I don't really expect much progress for a couple weeks (he's got other things on his plate), but seeing as my stock rack is taking up space him his shop, he'll probably get working on it just to get the dang thing out of there.

#517507 - 06/03/07 02:58 PM Re: Who makes a roof rack for 2nd Gen.?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok Muzikman - I gotta see it. Post a pic of your X right now without the Rack if you can. I've seen a few 1st gens without a rack but never a 2nd Gen.

#517508 - 06/03/07 03:40 PM Re: Who makes a roof rack for 2nd Gen.?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I talked to Jake at Calmini at 1 pm today and he said they have no current plans to make a rack for the 2nd Gen X's. So I wonder who "AZ-Ted" talked to there.

#517509 - 06/03/07 03:51 PM Re: Who makes a roof rack for 2nd Gen.?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't get the Calmini rep's name. He said that they were concentrating on suspension parts for the 2nd gen. and told me to check back later this year.

#517510 - 06/03/07 07:47 PM Re: Who makes a roof rack for 2nd Gen.?
Anonymous
Unregistered

#517511 - 07/03/07 06:27 AM Re: Who makes a roof rack for 2nd Gen.?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice - doesn't look to bad. The first Gens just don't look right with no rack, but that strangely looks ok.

#517512 - 07/03/07 08:01 AM Re: Who makes a roof rack for 2nd Gen.?
Anonymous
Unregistered

From the side it looks ok, from the front it looks bald. smile

I have gained over 1mpg around town and over 2mpg on the highway (after 1 ful tank of gas). It'll be off for a few weeks, so I'll get a better idea of the fuel efficiency differences.

The bad part is there are 27 or so holes that need to be plugged. 4 of them are large and flush with the roof line, the others are raised up a litle.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal