Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#518239 - 29/03/07 09:57 PM 3 Leaf pack
Bruzer Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Hey guys.

I am about to buy a lift and I have been reading everything I can find. Hopefully I will come up with some original questions and not the average "What kind of lift should I get?" post.

I did a search and haven't found may discussions about the 3 leaf Add a leaf pack which seems to be newer than the regular/single add a leaf.

I like that the 3 leaf pack comes with leaf pack clamps. Looking at my Xterra's stock leaf pack I can only assume the "overload leaf" is the bottom most leaf. Is that correct?

4x4 parts does not offer the 3 AAL in their kits yet. Does anyone know how long the shocks in the kits are? How long the stock shocks are? How much articulation are we getting with the shocks in the kits? Are any of the shocks in the kits longer than the other shocks?

By now we all should know the regular/single add a leaf had drive line vibration. I have a theory the vibration is because the angle of the drive shaft in relation to the stock angle of the axle is too great when the leaf is added. The shims help reduce the angle. So if someone were to use both the AAL and a shackle lift, Wouldn't they need a bigger shim for the greater angle of the shaft? I know people on the forms run the sing AAL with a shackle lift. Do you guys have any input on thes observations/questions?

#518240 - 30/03/07 04:21 AM Re: 3 Leaf pack
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The overload leaf IS the bottom most leaf, its substantially thicker than the others.

I believe the shocks for the lift kits use 10" travel, and that the stock shocks gave 9" of travel. The shocks are mounted far inboard, so a small amount of shock travel gives a larger amount of wheel travel.

IIRC, the Rancho's extended length is a little longer than the Bilstein, but it doesn't compress as far, so the shock can be over compressed w/o adding bumpstops, which rob otherwise useful uptravel....whereas the Bils are able to fully compress, even w/o a lift....thus providing more useful wheel travel.

As for the shims, a freind with an '06 OR just went through this....and got rid of the AC lift, which he had gotten after getting rid of the Calmini kit...and went to PRG instead...and found it all worked beter w/o vibes.

laugh

PS - they now have Revolver Shackles for your X...very cool....just ignore the amount of lift they say it gives, they never seem to be able to calculate it right over there.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#518241 - 30/03/07 05:52 AM Re: 3 Leaf pack
Bruzer Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I thought about one of my questions last night after I posted.

The extra leaves in the AAL have a "center" hole which presumably is the same distance from the front of the leaf to back. Adding another leaf moves the axle straight down. The shackle lift only extends the the rear part of the leaf pack. If you increase the rear part and keep the front part at the same level you will change the angle between the drive shaft and the axle less. This may be why AAL + shackle lifts don't require a bigger shim. I answered my own question.

I read about revolver shackles and they do seem to give more articulation because they allow the leaf pack to be at a different angle than the frame. But 4x4 parts also suggest limiting straps so you don't flex too far. I haven't read too much about revolvers. Compared to the stock shackle (and the "normal" shackles) a revolver would be adding a moving part where there was not one before. Are there any other problems (or things to watch) with revolver shackles?

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal