Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#510957 - 06/08/07 03:09 PM U Joint Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

First post for me, been reading for over a year, but I finally decided to join. Got to tell you there is lots to be learned from you guys!!!

My problem is a bad U Joint on the front drive (Propeller) shaft. Drove 120 miles to the dealer to get it replaced on warranty and got a story that they were out of U Joints, but when I went to the parts dept, they had one in stock. I got a story that my X may have had a non-Dana drive shaft so they were not sure of the part. Parts Dept said that it was 37126-3s526, but the non Dana part was 37126-AE028. Anybody know if there is a way to check on dealer part numbers??? Or what that second number might fit??? Just trying to figure out if they are trying to pull my chain!!! I have a 2005 4x4 SE that was built around March 2005. Did they make early models with different shafts???

#510958 - 06/08/07 03:28 PM Re: U Joint Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Every Dana part has a spicer # which is usually ending in an X. I would go to Dana.com and check the part # on there that they gave you. If the entire part # doesn't work use the first have and end it w/ X. It's a little confusing to navigate. You want to click on the expert system tab and then to the driveshaft column. You can enter the part # in there. A dana U-joint will start w/ 5-XXX could be any # and theres probably atleast 150 different ones. The # they gave you seems to be the OE # from the driveshaft which you don't need. The problem is they probably will have to replace the prop shaft and not just the u-joint because Japenese (and now some american) companies like to use this locking plastic to avoid simple repairs. They used to be help on by clips and now it's an epoxy like hard plastic. So the reason the dealer probably did that was because they need to order the whole shaft and not just the u-joint which for Nissan trucks is EXPENSIVE. Hope that helps a little bit.

#510959 - 06/08/07 04:59 PM Re: U Joint Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

This might help you a little.

Linky

#510960 - 06/08/07 05:35 PM Re: U Joint Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by far west X:
This might help you a little.

Linky
Well if you wanna get technical.. laugh

#510961 - 06/08/07 05:44 PM Re: U Joint Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

These u Joints are held in by clips so you can just replace the joints. The part numbers are the actual OEM numbers of U Joint from a Nissan Dealer. For some reason Courtesy parts link for the u joint does not work. Thanks for the info, I will check out the Dana web site to see what I can find.

#510962 - 06/08/07 05:50 PM Re: U Joint Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

#510963 - 06/08/07 06:15 PM Re: U Joint Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, I could get to the page, but when I clicked on the individual part number, there was none available, or no link to a part. Does Courtesy have almost all the parts available for the X?

#510964 - 06/08/07 06:22 PM Re: U Joint Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tried looking your number up on the expert system @ Dana and it couldn't be found. If the dealer needs a dana part they HAVE to order through a spicer #. Ask them for the spicer # or I know theres a guy on here who is a Nissan Mechanic (nissanmastertech) Maybe send him a PM. The part number you gave doesn't work so I tried just the first part and it came back as an Eaton bushing. I may be able to get you a # through Hollander interchange but I'm on the road tomorrow so it will have to wait until Weds..

#510965 - 06/08/07 07:36 PM Re: U Joint Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it, I am just looking for more information for future problems I might have, I have 59,000 on the X in 18 months and this is my first problem, I have a service manual and do all my own work on my vehicles, getting parts should be the hard part for me!!! I have 2 vehicles over 200,000 and plan on putting a bunch on the X, so parts will become an issue at some time. Thanks for your help!!!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal