Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#652542 - 14/11/07 06:30 PM parts needing to be replaced at ~130K
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys,
I'm going to be taking a lot of trips this winter and want the X in tip-top shape. I bought the X with just under 110K about 2 years ago.

Being a poor college student, I really had no time/funds to get a real service done.

And so I have no idea what needs to be replaced (people say timing belt at 105K, yet I have no idea if that was replaced or not).

I'm just looking for a list of some of the "problem areas" that I should address first. My brother is fairly technically inclined, so if I could get the parts myself, we could probably make a weekend out of it (with a few beers of course).

Thanks for any help!

laugh

#652543 - 14/11/07 06:32 PM Re: parts needing to be replaced at ~130K
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh man. You need to find out if that timing belt was done. If not you need to DO IT NOW or you could be out one X. I'd change all of the fluids (I use all synthetics). Maybe check the grease in your hubs and re grease them and/or check the bearings for wear. It wouldn't hurt to check your hoses and replace them if it's never been done before also.

#652544 - 14/11/07 06:35 PM Re: parts needing to be replaced at ~130K
Anonymous
Unregistered

#652545 - 14/11/07 07:59 PM Re: parts needing to be replaced at ~130K
Anonymous
Unregistered

On second thought, I think I'm just going to take it in tomorrow during my lunch break to see exactly what needs to be fixed/replaced. There was a good dealership recommended to me, that hopefully I'll get some straight answers from.

I'll keep you posted on what the damage is going to be. laugh

#652546 - 15/11/07 08:00 AM Re: parts needing to be replaced at ~130K
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Dealerships are always going to cost more.

At 130k, I would check to see if the tie rod ends and ball joints are still good/not leaking.

I would have the u-joints checked out also.

Change all fluids.

Check for any exhaust leaks.

What year truck? Check for the leaking rear main seal.

How old is the battery?

S.

#652547 - 15/11/07 08:29 AM Re: parts needing to be replaced at ~130K
Anonymous
Unregistered

To answer your questions:
I have a 2001 4wd.
I got a new battery last year.

#652548 - 15/11/07 02:58 PM Re: parts needing to be replaced at ~130K
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check your door frame area there might be a sticker indicating when your timing belt was changed. If you can't find it or any indication that it was changed I'd go ahead and change it out either way, its going to save you a lot of stress and frustration later if it wasn't changed.

#652549 - 15/11/07 03:09 PM Re: parts needing to be replaced at ~130K
Anonymous
Unregistered

What Stonecoldchavez said should be the big priority.

After that, check the shocks, brakes, leaf pack... basic stuff that you wouldn't want to go during a snow storm.

Oh, check the brakelines and get under the truck with a pressure washer and some rustoleum spray paint. That wiil help to keep the elements off the parts that will rust.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal