Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#556124 - 18/02/08 05:04 PM spare tire
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok, so im tryin to get my spare tire out of its stock position. i have bigger tires on my car and im gonna get the same sized spare, but it wouldnt fit under the car. what would you suggest for position or what kind of mount to get. really, any info would help.
i also need a new jack because i got a lift on my X, and the stock jack wont work anymore. i tried a hi-lift, but all it did was scratch up the side of my car. was i doing something wrong, or have yall had that problem too?

#556125 - 18/02/08 05:16 PM Re: spare tire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Um you are going to need rock sliders for the hi lift. You can use your stock jack just need to put a 2x4 or two under the jack. What size tire are you using? Depending it might fit if you take some of the air out of it. Otherwise check out shrockworks.com or calmini.com to get a rear tire carrier.

#556126 - 18/02/08 06:25 PM Re: spare tire
jawilly20 Offline

Loc: Nooksack, WA, USA
Take a piece of rollbar padding or think foam pipe insulation with a 1" center hole and cut a 2' piece of it and keep it on your Hi-Lift. Put it against the body and it keeps it off the paint. Also, sliders are the way to go.

THICK not think. Thinking about the padding will do you no good!

#556127 - 18/02/08 06:30 PM Re: spare tire
Anonymous
Unregistered

i am using 30" but i think i might go up a bit next tires i get.
i had the hi lift and what i think are the things you are talking about on the bottom. i dont remeber what they were called but theyre by calmini.
[img]http://hs.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30659532&id=1120531314&ref=mf#pid=30659553[/img]

i put the jack on that, but when i started to lift, the jack pushed into the side of the car and cut it up pretty badly. is there something im not doing right or is that just what they do?

what do you think of roof rack mounts for tires? like the yakima laodwarrior.

#556128 - 18/02/08 06:32 PM Re: spare tire
Anonymous
Unregistered

haha, ill think about that.
thats interesting, i never thought about that. is that what you do w/ the padding? does it work?
i tried dish towels but it just seemed to push in the side of the car and eventually just dent it.
does the padding fix that problem?

#556129 - 18/02/08 07:02 PM Re: spare tire
Anonymous
Unregistered

are you pushing the lip of the jack all the way in? I just put the lip of jack up to the sliders and go to town. You may need to open the doors but I rarely have that problem.

#556130 - 18/02/08 07:11 PM Re: spare tire
Anonymous
Unregistered

i thought you were supposed to push it all the way in. that is probably where i messed up. good call!
thanks man, but again w/ the tire business. is there any better way i could mount that tire anywhere other than the back? that rear mount thing is just a bit too expensive for my blood. any other suggestions?

#556131 - 18/02/08 07:18 PM Re: spare tire
Anonymous
Unregistered

just becareful with the high lift, I put the ever edge of the hi-lift lip on the inside of my slider. Just remember there is a reason it is nick named the suicide jack!! I throw my spare on my Yakima rack and just strap it down with a ratchet strap. It ain't the easiest place to put it but it beats having to drop a spare tire in the mud.

#556132 - 18/02/08 08:37 PM Re: spare tire
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
I prefer making sure the jack is all the way under the slider, and having an open door so the jack doesn't hit the truck...

#556133 - 19/02/08 06:42 AM Re: spare tire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by tameroflions:
i thought you were supposed to push it all the way in. that is probably where i messed up. good call!
thanks man, but again w/ the tire business. is there any better way i could mount that tire anywhere other than the back? that rear mount thing is just a bit too expensive for my blood. any other suggestions?
How big are you going with your new tires?

#556134 - 19/02/08 04:32 PM Re: spare tire
Steel_City_X Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
Tamer,

You should be able to get 31" tires under the TRUCK with a hitch, 32" tires without a hitch. I have a 31" spare there now on my 2000. Not sure why it wouldn't fit.

Now if I am trying to do this with my CA,R a '97 Civic Coupe, it would be difficult!
First Xterra IFS or SAS up Moab Rim...#2 up Mt. Blanca.
African Adventure pictures....
http://homepage.mac.com/ahlenius/

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal