Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196041 - 11/06/03 02:12 PM Cooling system
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Been having some over heating problems very intermittently. Once at GOX (up Imogene), once off road and now towing a light trailer < 10 miles.

I am having the dealer "Flush and fill" along with checking it out. I asked if they could / would replace the thermostat.

They want $134.00 labor for this. What the????

Has anyone changed theirs and what is so hard about it on this engine?

Does the Redline coolant additive used in race cars help with daily drivers?

Thanks!

#196042 - 11/06/03 02:19 PM Re: Cooling system
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
i found that the intermitant over-heating problems i was plagued with for almost a year turned out to juyst be residual mud/silt in the fins of the radiator(s)... took over and hour witht he hose... but once i finaly go tthe wate rto run clear... the problems have never returned

#196043 - 11/06/03 06:12 PM Re: Cooling system
xterraintx Offline

Todrick, I will hit it tomorrow. Could you see the buildup? Garden hose or carwash higher pressure ???

Still going to Flush and fill but your determination sounds right smile

#196044 - 11/06/03 08:01 PM Re: Cooling system
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
I had the same problem. I hit it with a high pressure garden hose. I would be vary careful hitting it with a pressure washer, it could easily fold fins over.

Just get a good nozzle and spray away. I could definately tell that it was dirty once I started spraying. I think I sprayed it with simple green before, just to help. Spray fome both sides as it's difficult to get to all area of the radiator.
John

#196045 - 12/06/03 10:46 AM Re: Cooling system
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Mine has done the same thing because of mud in the radiator. It also did it once a few months ago. I figured out that it was low on coolant that time. :rolleyes: Since then it has been fine. Does anyone know were the temp sensor is. My guage is flaking out and I want to see if it is a loose connection or something.

#196046 - 12/06/03 11:20 AM Re: Cooling system
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Roger..

Aslso check the fan clutch. That is what is wrong with mine at the moment...

#196047 - 12/06/03 12:28 PM Re: Cooling system
Fletch Offline

Loc: Kearney, MO
My truck was continually overheating while on the interstate. I took it into the dealer and they flushed the system along with replacing the thermostat. I figured all was fine for the summer, I drove it with temps in the 60's and it ran hot. I took it back into the dealer and they went through everything again and found the the cooling fans bearings were going out. There was movement in the fan shaft, when driving at highway speeds the air pressure would force the fan back twords the engine causing the fan to lock up and not help cool the engine causing the overheat. Fixed that but then found out that I had a blown head gasket, repaired and all is well now.

#196048 - 12/06/03 12:33 PM Re: Cooling system
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
no, I couldn't tell how dirty it was before I washed it. but definately could after it was clean, if that makes sense.

#196049 - 13/06/03 11:45 AM Re: Cooling system
xterraintx Offline

Man, you were all right. My radiator looked Ok but when I started with the hose I got mud. I did it for about a halh hour last night and removed a lot. Tonight I will use simple green and try some more. THANKS!
I had it flushed and filled today and all went well.

Carlton, how do I know if the clutch is working? If broke it will turn hard or not at all. How can I be sure it is good?

#196050 - 13/06/03 01:07 PM Re: Cooling system
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
I have always wondered how you tell if one is bad too. Mine squeaks a lot.

#196051 - 13/06/03 05:46 PM Re: Cooling system
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone ever try that stuff in a can from the auto parts store that you mix with distilled water and it is supposed to lower the operating temp of the fluid?

#196052 - 14/06/03 08:57 AM Re: Cooling system
Firebraun Offline

Loc: Reno, Nevada
Dead bugs in the radiator fins can restrict the airflow enough to give you overheating problems, too. Mud isn't the only possible culprit.

If you're going to give your radiator a good blast out with a hose, try to do it from the inside of the engine compartment out to the front, the opposite direction that the mud and pesky little critters come in from. That way you don't just embed the crap in there deeper than it already is.

#196053 - 14/06/03 10:03 AM Re: Cooling system
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by SE:
Anyone ever try that stuff in a can from the auto parts store that you mix with distilled water and it is supposed to lower the operating temp of the fluid?
Redline Water Wetter or the like. I bought a bottle about a year ago but have never used it. It really isn't that effective with a 50/50 coolant/water mix, it gets better with less coolant and really is designed to be used with very low coolant/water ratios in non-freezing conditions with large cooling systems.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal