2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192534 - 03/07/03 03:05 PM Rear Main Seal
rednec Offline

Loc: Apex, NC
Anyone have to replace there rear main seal yet. I'm planning on tackling this tomorrow and wanted to see if anyone had any extra info. I've pulled my share of tranny's but haven't messed with 4x4's much. All I know is the fawker is heavy. The seal itself looks easy enough to change. Any info would be helpful.

#192535 - 03/07/03 03:25 PM Re: Rear Main Seal
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well, you have to remove the torsion bars, a crossmember, and according tot he ESM the front part of the exhaust system. Other than that it should be pretty straightforward. You do need to disconnect some things like wiring, shifter, etc. Also, some of the bolts for the tranny to the engine may be hard to get to. I can look up what kind of sealer you need and stuff when I get home tonight.

Don't you have a manual transmission? If you have a manual you should replace the clutch while you're in there too, as oil leaking onto the clutch is not a good thing and if you're past your warranty then you've got clutch wear anyway. If you have an automatic then just ignore me.

I almost got to remove my transmission, but time constraints led me to the dealer last week. Otherwise I would have lots of stories to tell!

#192536 - 03/07/03 03:40 PM Re: Rear Main Seal
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
After pulling just my t-case for the gears, i'll tell you right now that that thing is HEAVY, now to pull both together (which is your best bet to save some time) I'm going to say you are looking at a lot of weight! If you have access to a lift and trans jack that would be best, but doing it on jack stands and with a floor jack will take a few pairs of hands, quite a bit of swearing, and a lot of muscle. Good luck, take your time, and consult the ESM. smile

#192537 - 03/07/03 08:04 PM Re: Rear Main Seal
rednec Offline

I've got an automatic tranny. I've delt more with manual tranny's in the past. Messed with one or 2 auto's. I'm sure it will come back to me as I get deeper into it. I ended up renting a transmission jack. Thought about buying one but didn't want to spend the money on something that I will hopefully only use once. I've got the ESM and the Haynes manual to refer to if needed. I'll be doing this in my garage with the X up on jack stands. Thank God for air tools though.

#192538 - 05/07/03 05:58 PM Re: Rear Main Seal
rednec Offline

Ended up not messing with the RMS. Decided it was going to be more of a job than I thought. Wasted 20 bucks on the tranny jack. Oh well, got some other odds and ends stuff done anyway.

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal